Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #136,186 of 151,162
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:14 AM Post #136,187 of 151,162
I use the word "speed" to describe how fast a sound decays in a headphone. If slow, the HP sounds warm, if fast, the HP sounds brighter. I once heard a mate's system, at a headphone meet, that was so warm it sounded gooey. I didn't tell him that (he's a nice guy). But, I didn't care for the sound. I know ... I'm basically fulla schiit. :)

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:16 AM Post #136,188 of 151,162
...unless he's a frequent reader of SBAF, then it's a bit of a circular reinforcement.

Plankton as an audio term is meaningless, nonsensical, and frankly cringe-inducing. It's the bell-bottoms or disco of audio terms.

I have never seen him on SBAF. He posts occasionally on ASR.

Based on many reviews I’m seeing, if they are describing sound as full and well balanced, they tend to use the plankton as an analogy

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:17 AM Post #136,189 of 151,162
At this point in time yes.😉 I was up all night with a kidney stone issue and the pain pills did me in much of the day.
Sorry to hear of your painful malady. Please accept my best wishes for a speedy recovery. By the way, I did enjoy the pun-ishment.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:23 AM Post #136,190 of 151,162
Anything else is a feeling. It might be acceptable to say "The sound field made me feel like the air was thick with plankton" but it is utter nonsense to say "This piece of equipment creates plankton."
Oh, that's what that green slime is underneath my Yggy. :joy_cat:

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:29 AM Post #136,192 of 151,162
I can't hear the music. There's too much plankton in the way.
Or what happens to many audiophiles: "I can't enjoy the music there's too much obsession with equipment in the way." And BTW I put my much younger self in that category. Thankfully I grew up and got more into the boom-shaka-laka-laka.

Last edited:
Jan 14, 2024 at 10:46 AM Post #136,194 of 151,162
Or what happens to many audiophiles: "I can't enjoy the music there's too much obsession with equipment in the way." And BTW I put my much younger self in that category. Thankfully I grew up and got more into the boom-shaka-laka-laka.
Wait, are you saying all those electronic devices with wires everywhere actually makes music? Who knew?

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:51 AM Post #136,196 of 151,162
I went through that procedure the last time but this one must be considerably smaller. A couple times in the past the pain got so intense I went to the emergency room immediately. This time I am roughing it out with prescribed hydrocodone. For those who have never had one it is an intense, internal pain like few others.
Gosh, I had several kidney stone experiences, made a grown man cry! Gosh this was much worse than having my gas mask ripped off in basic training! LOL!
Kidney stones were worse than gall bladder stones...Oghhh! And I just had that little bugger removed!!

My sympathy with anyone that has a kidney stone....!!!

Alex

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:55 AM Post #136,198 of 151,162
I use the word "speed" to describe how fast a sound decays in a headphone. If slow, the HP sounds warm, if fast, the HP sounds brighter. I once heard a mate's system, at a headphone meet, that was so warm it sounded gooey. I didn't tell him that (he's a nice guy). But, I didn't care for the sound. I know ... I'm basically fulla schiit. :)

And my definition of speed would define the attack rather than the decay: Reproducing that instant a percussive instrument is struck or a bass string is plucked/thumped. Same word, different viewpoints.

Jan 14, 2024 at 10:59 AM Post #136,200 of 151,162
Based on many reviews I’m seeing, if they are describing sound as full and well balanced, they tend to use the plankton as an analogy
And...?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back