Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 12, 2024 at 6:29 PM Post #136,021 of 150,454
Jargon = using non-standardized terms in a standardized sector. Instead of noise floor, making up background because you may not have a technical education.

Slang = urban terms used to express experiences or emotions in lieu of conventional vocabulary or to sound "hip" (which is an example of slang).
Not quite right, according to my dictionary. Or Wiktionary. Or my understanding of language. Follow the links, keep all noted meanings in mind and see if you understand me a bit better then.
The use of both jargon and slang are parts of language (the soul of culture) but the problem I have is when it is is presented as dogma, or when assumptions are made that the jargon or slang has meaning outside the cultures using it and represents some sort of "truth". When discussing any topic, but especially one based in technical sciences, it is best to refrain from cultural expressions that may not be universally understood or acepted or even defined. And if it is part of the user's dogma then they need be prepared for rejection and criticism. At least by me. :)

I will now go listen to the marshmallow creaminess punctuated by crunchy pecans that are my Voce headphones.
Very well stated and I fully agree, I'm sorry if I've been unclear enough that someone would think I don't. This whole discussion topic is created by people in this thread trying to wrap their heads around jargon used in another forum without going to the source and reading all the context and origin of said jargon.

Of course the terms that originated there have no meaning here. Yet! Maybe some of them eventually will. This we do not know.

I think someone at some point tried to "explain" a term used by picking a component that exhibits it to an unusual degree and saying in essence "go listen to that, you'll hear it". That's not very helpful. Better would be to suggest a comparison between two contrasting products. Maybe also mention a recommended track and what to listen for in that track. This method of explanation is often used in audio reviews, I think it might be the best way we've found so far to precisely explain a sound quality difference. But it is a bit cumbersome and I'm strongly of the opinion that it would benefit us all if we could find a few more widely agreed upon terms. I don't think we should wait around for scientific explanations of what we hear before naming it, if large enough numbers of us can agree that we do hear it. Such are very long term developments, I don't expect "blackground" or "treble screwery" to become such a term in the foreseeable future, maybe not at all. For "plankton" I'm definitely guessing not at all, but it is hard to make predictions - especially about the future!

I guess it is part of my personal dogma that language is important. I do believe that naming phenomena that we don't know the explanation for facilitates the discussion around them and that this, in circles where a curious mindset is common enough, accelerates the search for explanations. I'm fairly sure that some believe the search for explanations slows down or stalls when a phenomen is named, but I think that only applies when there is a general lack of curiosity.

I now believe I have explained myself way more than enough and can leave this topic be. Thankyou to all involved, it was useful to me at least!
:beerchug:

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #136,022 of 150,454
The recent discussion about treble response in the Schiit DACs has been very interesting to follow. My main takeaways: 1) we all hear things differently and 2) we all have different preferences. I have the pleasure of having Tinnitus as a constant companion and I’m very treble-sensitive, so to my ears the Bifrost 2 (as an example) has a sharp edge to its upper midrange and lower treble that bothers me. However, I am clearly in the small minority of listeners, since most people here love Bifrost 2 and my ‘sharp edge’ is their increased clarity and transparency. On the plus side I can keep listening to my beloved Bifrost OG Multibit and Modi OG Multibit and be very happy with their sound.

Another recurring theme is the value of ‘transparency’. Some folks want to have the music presented as it was recorded (conveniently skipping the discussion on what that actually means), flaws and all. Others, myself included, want to listen to and enjoy our music and don’t want a system that highlights all the flaws in the recording.

The bottom line? Figure out what you like and buy gear that caters to your taste. Enjoy this hobby – it’s quite fun!

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:31 PM Post #136,024 of 150,454
@Timster -- I think it's safe to say that Jargon Talk has earned a place on the Schiit Sine Wave, if not present already. :D

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:33 PM Post #136,025 of 150,454
The opening minute of the fourth movement of Bruckner's 8th never fails to give me goose bumps.

I hereby declare that I shall not be permitted to shuffle off this plane of existence before I have heard Bruckner's 8th performed live in the Berlin Philharmonic's grand hall.

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:36 PM Post #136,027 of 150,454
Jan 12, 2024 at 6:44 PM Post #136,028 of 150,454
The opening minute of the fourth movement of Bruckner's 8th never fails to give me goose bumps.

I hereby declare that I shall not be permitted to shuffle off this plane of existence before I have heard Bruckner's 8th performed live in the Berlin Philharmonic's grand hall.
I believe that the Vienna hall has better acoustics.

Jan 12, 2024 at 6:55 PM Post #136,031 of 150,454
I recommend TSOL.
Ummm. NO. The last thing I need is to come home and find the couch shredded and everything flung off the coffee table because the mutts thought they needed a K-9 mosh pit. :rolling_eyes:

Smoooooooth jazz for pets?! Music with the life force sucked out it - as well as the odor. Do you have a sonic permit from the SPCA? :joy:
The wife has them so spoiled they suffer from separation anxiety when she leaves. It helps them relax and somehow make it til she gets back home. :D

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 7:52 PM Post #136,033 of 150,454
Political Science. All my research is quantitative and my research agenda is in Race, Ethnicity, and Politics. Currently I am researching indigenous politics (Native Americans and how their interactions with government can influence political participation). The comprehensive exams are basically everything in the field and I have questions to choose from, need to answer 5. For work, I generally work on datasets every day. School is in Texas.

And before anyone gets to it: I don’t talk politics outside of my work, I go out of my way to avoid it lol.
You’ve got this! Got/Need IRB on your dataset?

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:03 PM Post #136,034 of 150,454
Smoooooooth jazz for pets?! Music with the life force sucked out it - as well as the odor. Do you have a sonic permit from the SPCA? :joy:
... how about some 90dB 'Highway to Hell' AC/DC**? ... 🐾 🥩 🍺 🐶🐶 ...

[** all clear / dogs celebrate ]

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:22 PM Post #136,035 of 150,454
... how about some 90dB 'Highway to Hell' AC/DC**? ... 🐾 🥩 🍺 🐶🐶 ...

[** all clear / dogs celebrate ]
I remember playing that song (at about the same SPL, or more) through my first set of DIY floor-standing speakers back in 1980 or so. :metal: :metal: :metal:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back