Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 12, 2024 at 8:56 PM Post #136,038 of 151,580

I will now go listen to the marshmallow creaminess punctuated by crunchy pecans that are my Voce headphones.
Not only headphones but a dessert topping as well. Well, actually a lot of our music are some sort of topping.

(the above really makes me salivate, gotta figure out how to make pancakes like that...)

Jan 12, 2024 at 8:59 PM Post #136,039 of 151,580
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:04 PM Post #136,040 of 151,580
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:05 PM Post #136,041 of 151,580
Not only headphones but a dessert topping as well. Well, actually a lot of our music are some sort of topping.**

(the above really makes me salivate, gotta figure out how to make pancakes like that...)
** .... just don't drive it with Topping 😒 ....

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #136,042 of 151,580
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:06 PM Post #136,043 of 151,580
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:07 PM Post #136,044 of 151,580
Yes, it is.

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #136,045 of 151,580

The wife has them so spoiled they suffer from separation anxiety when she leaves. It helps them relax and somehow make it til she gets back home. :D
It's a cross I have to bear that I'm the one that spoils the dogs and yet, they still pine for her when she's gone for 5 f'n minutes.

(I have heard all the comments about what about my personality may lead to this so let's not rehash, m'kay, buh bye...)

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:13 PM Post #136,046 of 151,580
* -40°C and -40°F are the same (very cold) temperature, for those American friends who are unfamiliar with the Celsius temperature scale, where 0°C is the freezing temperature of water, or 32°F.
I have a general understanding of the 15°C to 21°C range because that's my room-temperature sweet spot for final proofing Bourbon. If the spirit temperature is much colder than that I get weird inconsistencies that even my proofing calculator has trouble compensating for. And if it's much warmer than that, well that means I'm having an uncomfortable sweaty day in the Blending House. 😓 🥃

* I have to convert from C because all of my hydrometers are in C but my calculator uses F. 🤷

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:30 PM Post #136,048 of 151,580
Not quite right, according to my dictionary. Or Wiktionary. Or my understanding of language. Follow the links, keep all noted meanings in mind and see if you understand me a bit better then.

Very well stated and I fully agree, I'm sorry if I've been unclear enough that someone would think I don't. This whole discussion topic is created by people in this thread trying to wrap their heads around jargon used in another forum without going to the source and reading all the context and origin of said jargon.

Of course the terms that originated there have no meaning here. Yet! Maybe some of them eventually will. This we do not know.

I think someone at some point tried to "explain" a term used by picking a component that exhibits it to an unusual degree and saying in essence "go listen to that, you'll hear it". That's not very helpful. Better would be to suggest a comparison between two contrasting products. Maybe also mention a recommended track and what to listen for in that track. This method of explanation is often used in audio reviews, I think it might be the best way we've found so far to precisely explain a sound quality difference. But it is a bit cumbersome and I'm strongly of the opinion that it would benefit us all if we could find a few more widely agreed upon terms. I don't think we should wait around for scientific explanations of what we hear before naming it, if large enough numbers of us can agree that we do hear it. Such are very long term developments, I don't expect "blackground" or "treble screwery" to become such a term in the foreseeable future, maybe not at all. For "plankton" I'm definitely guessing not at all, but it is hard to make predictions - especially about the future!

I guess it is part of my personal dogma that language is important. I do believe that naming phenomena that we don't know the explanation for facilitates the discussion around them and that this, in circles where a curious mindset is common enough, accelerates the search for explanations. I'm fairly sure that some believe the search for explanations slows down or stalls when a phenomen is named, but I think that only applies when there is a general lack of curiosity.

I now believe I have explained myself way more than enough and can leave this topic be. Thankyou to all involved, it was useful to me at least!
:beerchug:
7 paragraphs of blather and now you have convinced only yourself... Congrats 🎉

Jan 12, 2024 at 9:33 PM Post #136,049 of 151,580
Well said, "jargon" is for those unable to communicate effectively and before you ask, I have been teaching English for over 20 years.
I've kind of gleaned an opinion from hearing lots of different people with different brains interpreting impulses from different taste buds trying to describe different flavors and aromas in whiskey that there are some people who use analytical descriptive words to call out flavors and aromas while other people use more suggestive words to paint ideas of what they are tasting and smelling. Not a one of them is wrong (unless they're calling caramel rubber or something obvious), it's just the way they process and then express things.

Thusly, maybe it's okay if 'jargon' is all someone has to describe a thing? Maybe 'plankton' is an okay descriptor of that super-fine transient detail that it seems to have no other word that fits? I dunno but I kind of think it's fine. I'm fine with it.

Do any of us have to care that much? As with all things on all pages that exist on the internet, if it's something one does not like or agree with or approve of ( as long as it fits within given forum rules and guidelines of course), then just scroll on.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2024 at 9:37 PM Post #136,050 of 151,580
Apropos of nothing, possibly, has anybody mated a pair of Tyrs with open baffle speakers?
I'm not sure but maybe that New Record Day reviewer on YouTube? I know I've seen a Tyr review and I've seen open baffle reviews, just not sure if he did the two together.

He LOVES the Tyrs btw.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back