Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 6, 2024 at 2:17 PM Post #135,136 of 150,446
Just look around…
Through what frame of reference? Yours? Mine? Someone else? Much evil has been done in the world by people acting in the name of religion, all of whom believed they were "right." How about we just accept the fact that "religion" is neither true nor false, much like audio perception it is in the mind of the beholder?

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 2:22 PM Post #135,137 of 150,446
BTW i bought a Saga+ and a LISST module for exactly this purpose. It was $150 more than Saga S for the same functionality, but I thought the extra dollars were justified by having extra options. I like options!

I love tubes but am not certain they have a place in pre-amp. But this keeps the door open.
I was considering Freya+ and LISST to have options too but when I saw the FreyaS on close-out I grabbed that as I want the speaker system to be able to be left on without issues anyway,

Despite Saga+ and LISST being a great option it still feels as the disappearance of SagaS leaves a hole in the line at that price point and footprint. Of course there are Asgard/Jotunheim, and they certainly are usable as preamps for sure, and they have headphone out to boot, though they lack the input switching ability.

But, I guess the SagaS was just moving too slowly and it wasn’t worth doing another run.
Would it be too much to ask for a Kara mini perhaps? (“Karen” maybe? 🤪)

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:26 PM Post #135,138 of 150,446
Try Vali2++, Valhalla 2 or Lyr3...great preamps with tubes.
Oh yes, of course. Hah, I probably know better than most how good schiit head-amps are also great pre-amps and use a number of them exactly like that (tho only the tubeless ones to date).

But I suppose I did have function-specific, purpose-build pre-amp designs in mind when I said that.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:27 PM Post #135,139 of 150,446
What is a false religion? If we all believed exactly the same, there'd only be one religion, right?
Well, science is not meant to be a religion at all. So mistreating it, misrepresenting it or misapplying it as if it was religion - that if anything is a false religion. Science is not a religion and technology is not magic!

Science is meant to be practiced and perused by critical thinkers, until such time it has proven itself reliable, only then to be used by society at large. Science is finding out how the universe works in a systematic manner. Science is trial and error, keeping a close eye on errors and probabilities. Science at scale and at the bleeding edge is not easy - but the principle is, experiments showing things we already know generally are, and there are some great teachers on youtube. Science is readily available and at your service. Use with curiosity, and some caution.

And feel free to ask me about it if you feel the need to.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:39 PM Post #135,142 of 150,446
20240104_171723.jpg

Speaking of, if you suspect your elderly cat has osteoarthritis, might I suggest you try the somewhat new drug Solensia. It's not all smiles & sunshine but Stella has been having more of these happy moments since taking it.

There's also a similar drug for dogs now, I believe.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:58 PM Post #135,144 of 150,446
Among the very few rules that this thread has, no religion and no politics are two of them. Let's respect that and turn our discussion back to the worship of cats and Schiit. Thank you for your cooperation. ✌️😎
FTFY. :pray:

1704571413681.png

I couldn't find a "My love for Schiit..." image, so this will have to do.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 4:12 PM Post #135,145 of 150,446
If you could, can you elaborate on what you mean by
to separate the art and the artist
I can try again, but the latter part of that post was my first attempt, so this may be a bit of repeat. Hopefully with more clarity?

I choose the words in part due to the forum we're in and that phrase having been used recently in the thread, but also in part because the art in the engineering is the major pain point here. Those cases that your students have a hard time understanding that they exist before they actually encounter one (that's fully okay, by the way, good engineering school needs to make sure a reasonable amount of such cases are encountered in school).

That's where creators get attached to their creations. Which can become a problem if the discussion and development then gets hampered by defensiveness, hurt feelings, stubbornness and such things. Maybe how much these things can slow down a team of engineers is highly related to how bad engineers generally are at dealing with such discussions... but I think even the most emotinally intelligent people would agree that it would be better to avoid such situations.

A more general wording, which I touched on in my last paragraph, is to keep the profession separate from the person. This is a large part of what it means to be professional. In a good team people can criticize each others work and outright put it in the list of what not to do without criticizing those who did that work and their ability. Such feedback then does not put people down, it actually builds them up, as everyone learns together and takes responsibility together as a team.

When everyone on the team can do this, openly and objectively discuss and evaluate and criticize the work being done and the approach that is used - and, crucially, change course as needed - this is when an engineering team works well and most easily finds the best solutions.

I'm not entirely sure whether I should add "in my experience" or "in my opinion" to this. I don't think so? From what I understand about engineering and people, from what I've learned from courses and anecdotes and experience, this is universally true for teams of engineers. Can ring very true for teams of professionals in other professions as well but obviously I cannot state something like "universally true" outside of my own area of expertise.

Also, I might be wrong. But I'd be surprised and skeptical.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:44 PM Post #135,147 of 150,446
The problem is that false religions often lead to tragic consequences.
More often it's the real religions that are responsible for all the tragic consequences, but I hugely digress.

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #135,148 of 150,446
Tomato / Tomatoe. Wormhole / Rabbit-hole.

And to borrow something I learned from the Bourbon vs Whiskey post and make it applicable here (at least to me). While every religion is a belief. Not every belief is a religion. :smirk:
I knew discussions about whiskey could have a practical benefit! 😁

Jan 6, 2024 at 4:52 PM Post #135,149 of 150,446
Even only using one hand around high voltage tube gear requires caution. The first attempt at building a tube amp with my own layout taught me a few lessons. One of which was being wary of 400 volt connections and proximity to the grounded chassis. My left pinky inadvertently bridged these two points and was pissed at me the rest of the day.🤬
When it's a few kV and your arm (through a long sleeved shirt) brushes up against the grounded frame. You better go check your skivvies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back