Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:12 PM Post #135,121 of 151,179
As a dear friend of mine (who happens to be a PhD chemist) is fond of saying: Everyone has to believe in something. I believe I'll have another beer.
He also likes to use the old line about most alcohol being a solution.
The problem is that false religions often lead to tragic consequences.

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 1:15 PM Post #135,123 of 151,179
What is a false religion? If we all believed exactly the same, there'd only be one religion, right?

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:45 PM Post #135,125 of 151,179
The problem is who gets to decide what's "false" and what's not? Thus, physics. It does not care what anyone believes.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:46 PM Post #135,126 of 151,179
BTW i bought a Saga+ and a LISST module for exactly this purpose. It was $150 more than Saga S for the same functionality, but I thought the extra dollars were justified by having extra options. I like options!

I love tubes but am not certain they have a place in pre-amp. But this keeps the door open.
Try Vali2++, Valhalla 2 or Lyr3...great preamps with tubes.

Jan 6, 2024 at 1:47 PM Post #135,127 of 151,179
Jason did announce they would be discontinued . I bought mine shortly after. Late last April if memory serves. :thinking:
I probably came off as a bit picky with my universal remote wish a while back. Really though, my nakamichi preamp was a pricey item back in the 90s.
Inflation would probably make it a several thousand $ unit today. Saga s or Kara + mani or skoll + lokius in today's dollars are less than I paid for the nakamichi .
Loki max would change that formula, but then I can't adjust my tone controls by remote now...:slight_smile:. I wouldn't be surprised if saga s or kara will out perform what I have now.
I have an adcom gtp tuner preamp with phono and remote in my computer system. That was about $600 ish new if I remember correctly . If anything like that is on the market these days, I would expect it to be much more costly as well. Guessing saga s or kara will out perform that unit as well.

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:01 PM Post #135,131 of 151,179
Hey, what's up with the discontinuation of the Saga S?
Did you miss Jason's post?
Hey all,

A quick note: Saga S is done. As in, we have a few left, but they'll be moving to closeout. Look for them there in a day or two if you want one. Saga+ stays as-is.

As far as the future of Saga goes, we've had a lot of input. Some people want a simple passive pot-in-a-box affair, but that really wouldn't end up being much cheaper, mainly due to metal cost increases. Unless we go to Midgard style metal. The current transformer of the Saga series has also gotten quite pricey, so that's another limitation on the price. Physical size is also a limitation on how much I/O we can do if we're doing balanced. I'm not sure the world is ready for Pentaconn interconnects, and balanced means balanced relay ladder, and much higher cost, in any case.

As always, I'm open to ideas about the future...keep it, change it, kill it, etc.

Aegir 2 I'm hoping we get out soon, but it's been a heck of a time here in Valencia, with much of production out sick through the holidays.

Next up: a chapter on Feedback: Good Bad and Ugly, as promised. Next week probably. I hope. If prototypes behave.

All the best,
Jason

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:02 PM Post #135,132 of 151,179
The problem is who gets to decide what's "false" and what's not? Thus, physics. It does not care what anyone believes.
Sorta correct until statistics and probabilities enter, then Quantum mechanics with ideas like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle or thought experiments involving Schrodinger's cat make appearances. Einstein did not accept the philosophy of 'modern physics ' of his time, hence his statement that 'God does not play dice with the universe.' And here come 'string theory ' with a multitude of solutions for mathematical questions. Just because a mathematical solution exists, does that make it reality? If so, where's the wormhole to......

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #135,133 of 151,179
Tomato / Tomatoe. Wormhole / Rabbit-hole.

And to borrow something I learned from the Bourbon vs Whiskey post and make it applicable here (at least to me). While every religion is a belief. Not every belief is a religion. :smirk:

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #135,134 of 151,179
A little odd how it went straight to b-stock/closeout and skipped the "Last Call" they are doing for the other recent announcements.
Jason hinted that the Last Call was for items that will be/have been discontinued that have large amounts of inventory. B stock close outs would indicate that they don't have large quantities of remaining inventory. He mentioned that never again will they let inventory grow to huge quantities even if an item is selling amazingly well. If you look at it this way, it does seem to make very good sense.

Leo

Jan 6, 2024 at 2:12 PM Post #135,135 of 151,179
Sorta correct until statistics and probabilities enter, then Quantum mechanics with ideas like the Heisenberg Uncertainty Principle or thought experiments involving Schrodinger's cat make appearances. Einstein did not accept the philosophy of 'modern physics ' of his time, hence his statement that 'God does not play dice with the universe.' And here come 'string theory ' with a multitude of solutions for mathematical questions. Just because a mathematical solution exists, does that make it reality? If so, where's the wormhole to......
All those things are "belief" agnostic, and the most important part of my statement is the initial question...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back