Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 6, 2024 at 7:44 AM Post #135,091 of 151,225
I am very interested in the new Aegir 2 power amps myself . I was going to buy 2 of the Aegir 1 power amps , but I believe that the Aegir 2 power amps will be better sounding , or Mr. Jason Stoddard would not be making them , so I will be patient and wait . I know that Mr. Jason Stoddard will make sure that they will be up to his high standards before he releases them for sale , so it is not a problem for me to wait to enjoy them . oldhippie .
I got myself dos aegir regardless. In fact i was not expecting a V2 at all. But they sound so good as-is that i aint got no complaints no matter what else comes out

Jan 6, 2024 at 7:50 AM Post #135,092 of 151,225
So if you like this type of music (Jazz, World Music), this is a fantastic album. I've seen Jonathan Butler in a small venue like Jazz Alley in Seattle, and an outdoor concert at Ste. Michelle Winery in Woodinville, WA. Playing this for the last 8 months my wife and I can't get enough of this album. Streaming on Qobuz, CD on URD. It doesn't disappoint, me. Dual Vidars from Freya S to Maggi LRSs. Priceless. I have pathways through digital volume controls, and others totally analogue. Fantastic either way...Happy New Year.
Jonathan Butler Ubuntu.jpg
https://open.qobuz.com/album/kvy2a0bdr9n6b
Oh neat, an ubuntu CD that does not install a chubby penguin and questionable UI onto my computer..

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:10 AM Post #135,093 of 151,225
Actually, Johnny Storm is my worst enemy. That guy really burns me up. :laughing:

1704498366760.png
Cardboard Man is a super-villain then as Johnny Storm is not :)

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:12 AM Post #135,094 of 151,225
Blaise Pascal and Thomas Aquinas called, they want you to know that you should never let yourself be distracted by such banalities as rational thought when bending over backwards to have your arguments fit a certain predetermined conclusion.
You have to put the conclusion before Descartes! (ouch, even I groan at that one)

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:20 AM Post #135,095 of 151,225
Rational thinking and logical thinking are important tools to a programmer, but so is abstract thinking. Perhaps most important in this category is to think of logical, rational, abstractions.

But the most important thing that can be learned in higher education, especially in engineering, is to separate the art and the artist. Especially when the artist is yourself. This enables teamwork, especially teamwork handling difficult engineering/design tasks (where you can go through many wrong ideas before finding one of the right ones, yet many of the wrong ones could be made to "work").

You may have heard the phrase "killing your darlings". What really makes for good progress is when your creations are not your darlings! When critical feedback is correctly addressed and interpreted as concerning the profession and not the person. Step one, for those trying to learn: just say "we" pretty much all the time when discussing what you're doing. Team responsibility instead of personal responsibility. When all members on a team are fully able to do this, progress is soooo much better and smoother that you really wouldn't believe it unless you've lived it.
As a mentor, getting the above points across is, um, challenging.

If you could, can you elaborate on what you mean by
to separate the art and the artist

I've had discussions where I claim that there is an creative/artistic element to engineering and gotten a great deal of pushback. Then, sometime later, the pushback-er says something along the lines of "well, there's a bit of creativity/art required at this point to reach a solution..."

Mind, when creating (ha!) a solution, I mostly use the scientific method: hypothesis, test, re-hypothesis, implement.

Jan 6, 2024 at 9:49 AM Post #135,096 of 151,225
But… the world needs more people to learn advanced math. The lack of precise logical thinking is why there are so many misinformed people incapable of logically reasoning for themselves. In my opinion.
And science. Big time.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:01 AM Post #135,097 of 151,225
Airto Moreira is one of the great percussionists of the last century. For those who don't know, his health went south in 2022, and there's a GFM page run by his wife Flora Purim if you wish to donate and help defray his ongoing medical bills and caretaking.

A life or two back, I helped organize a concert he and his outfit played in Berkeley. Great dynamic show that I'll never forget.
They played on the first two Return to Forever albums with Chick Corea.

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:26 AM Post #135,099 of 151,225
I got myself dos aegir regardless. In fact i was not expecting a V2 at all. But they sound so good as-is that i aint got no complaints no matter what else comes out
I have one Aegir1 already and it sounds great. If I want to go monoblock and with it now on last call and Aegir2 coming soon I would probably have to complete the set before the Aegir1 is sold out from last call, or get two of the Aegir2’s later. I suspect it would not work great with one of each as mono blocks.

Decisions, decisions, but my wallet still smolders from my recent GS2+FreyaS purchase so I will have to wait. Besides, speakers are next as neither the GS2 nor FreyaS/Aegir’s talents are used to the full with the old ones I have. :)

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:31 AM Post #135,100 of 151,225
I have one Aegir1 already and it sounds great. If I want to go monoblock and with it now on last call and Aegir2 coming soon I would probably have to complete the set before the Aegir1 is sold out from last call, or get two of the Aegir2’s later. I suspect it would not work great with one of each as mono blocks.

Decisions, decisions, but my wallet still smolders from my recent GS2+FreyaS purchase so I will have to wait. Besides, speakers are next as neither the GS2 nor FreyaS/Aegir’s talents are used to the full with the old ones I have. :)
Yeah I think the same, would not want different amps as L/R monoblocks (sub or surround might be different). Heck, with L/R i might even be semi-concerned about unit-to-unit variation. Depends on mfgr, I think, and I think schiit is good in this regard. But I digress.

tbh i justified the second aegir as a garage/basement/office separate unit more so than monoblock. But it is nice to have options!

Jan 6, 2024 at 10:57 AM Post #135,101 of 151,225
Where’s your volume control?
The pots? Each headphone amp has its own pot, the SagaS pot for the GJ, the SN2 is integrated with its own pot.

Edit: realized I had a pic showing the volume controls minus the controller who left their drink on the floor. Green dot is the pot of the SN2

IMG_5996.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 6, 2024 at 11:14 AM Post #135,102 of 151,225
This. For many programmers, calc isn't crucial. You mainly think discretely as a programmer anyway.

Calc has been used as a weeding out tool in CS for some time but that's slowly changing. They dropped the Diff EQ requirement in the CS program I was in, so I was good w just calc 1 & 2.

To me calc is less about logic and more about abstract thinking, though logical thinking can help in calc. And unfortunately the way it's often taught is something along the lines of:

"Here are some algorithms for solving certain problems that some people came up with. Memorize them like a good little robot, or fit what you can of them on a notecard, pass the exams, and then promptly forget them if you don't use them regularly."

Philosophy is actually a great way to learn to think rationally. Studying it has probably made me a better programmer.
Engineering school taught me to solve problems, but didn't teach me which problems were worth solving. Studying philosophy years later filled that gap. There are plenty of irrational endeavors that rational solutions can be found.

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:25 AM Post #135,103 of 151,225
Hey, what's up with the discontinuation of the Saga S? Is Schiit going to be coming out with a new solid state only preamp in 2024? (I have long hoped for the Saga S form factor, but with the addition of an onboard/optional phono pre slot.)

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:42 AM Post #135,104 of 151,225
Hey, what's up with the discontinuation of the Saga S? Is Schiit going to be coming out with a new solid state only preamp in 2024? (I have long hoped for the Saga S form factor, but with the addition of an onboard/optional phono pre slot.)
Do you mean in addition to the Kara?

Jan 6, 2024 at 11:45 AM Post #135,105 of 151,225

Jotunheim with the optional phono module, if you can live without remote control.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back