Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 31, 2023 at 11:39 PM Post #134,686 of 153,801
Happy new year everybody.

IMG_0036.jpeg
20231231_203611.jpg

😃

Jan 1, 2024 at 12:41 AM Post #134,687 of 153,801
It was ever thus. I've worked on both sides of the 'glass'. Recordings that I perceive as most realistic are the ones made with simple signal chains and minimal micing. ...
Does all that imply a period that's a sweet spot for digital recordings?

Something like,
  • the early 80's digitial recordings were too bright.
  • sInce 1995 (say) the loudness wars have ruined digital recordings (all recordings, really, except for classical and jazz?)
  • thus digital recordings made/remastered between 1988-1994 are the best.
?

Jan 1, 2024 at 1:04 AM Post #134,688 of 153,801
Scenario: It's after an audio gathering and ppl go to dinner. You sit across from Jason at the table. What's the conversation?

(Guaranteed it's happened to a few of you.)
His C8 Corvette for at least part of it, and how disappointed I am by the new Corvette's looks (it's weirdly overstyled) and the dealer's price gouging but how badly I want to drive one because of how fantastically well-developed a driver's car it is - among the best in the world!

Jan 1, 2024 at 2:35 AM Post #134,689 of 153,801
Happy New Year to my Schiity friends!! May this be your best year yet!!

Jan 1, 2024 at 3:00 AM Post #134,690 of 153,801
Does all that imply a period that's a sweet spot for digital recordings?

Something like,
  • the early 80's digitial recordings were too bright.
  • sInce 1995 (say) the loudness wars have ruined digital recordings (all recordings, really, except for classical and jazz?)
  • thus digital recordings made/remastered between 1988-1994 are the best.
?
If only there was a sweet spot, universally known and loved. I'm certainly not qualified to make sweeping generalizations about recording sweet spots, unless it's my mics and instruments. And even then... :ksc75smile:

To my jaded ears, there were some phenomenally natural sounding recordings made in every era. And many, many more awful, nasty ones. I've heard some wonderfully vivid recordings made on the primitive, cheap Sony F1 digital recorder in the early 80s. And some information-deprivation ones made on the ultra expensive DASH machines of the era. And lots of nasty records made on the dreadful ADAT recorders for those who wanted bad digital on a project studio budget.

Maybe there was a sweet timeline before the L2 Dynamics Destroyer made everyone want everything louder than everything else. At least a better chance of decent mastering, especially from the old skool guys like Bob Olhsson. Yet I also knew people who were tasked with running tracks through an Optimod analog broadcast processor - so they could be squashed like a radio-mix before even (or ever) getting on the radio.

Our current era, like every other one, offers the potential for the best recordings - in any genre. As ever, it's the people selecting/using the tools, not the sonic hammers themselves. :joy:

Also... Happy New Year, All Ye Schitizens!

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:06 AM Post #134,691 of 153,801
Happy new year!
Got my New Year’s GS2 to go with my Christmas Urd. Still don’t have the USB-C cables to test out the USB I/O on the Urd, but using Unison on my Mac mini, AES/ESB on the Urd, Optical on the TV, and Coax on the Blu Ray. I should hook up my Allo digione on the BNC just to have all the inputs connected, and use my new DAC remote to switch between them and make some HF members angry…
IMG_2972.jpeg

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:09 AM Post #134,692 of 153,801
Happy new year!
Got my New Year’s GS2 to go with my Christmas Urd. Still don’t have the USB-C cables to test out the USB I/O on the Urd, but using Unison on my Mac mini, AES/ESB on the Urd, Optical on the TV, and Coax on the Blu Ray. I should hook up my Allo digione on the BNC just to have all the inputs connected, and use my new DAC remote to switch between them and make some HF members angry…
IMG_2972.jpeg
Oh, I forgot, now I have to figure out how to arrange the three remotes into a Triforce
IMG_2973.jpeg

Jan 1, 2024 at 4:43 AM Post #134,693 of 153,801
I should hook up my Allo digione on the BNC just to have all the inputs connected, and use my new DAC remote to switch between them and make some HF members angry…
@Ableza does subscribe to the philosophy of "you do you", I am quite confident he won't get angry. Less confident that I won't make him angry with this, but I still firmly believe so: as far as I know he's the only one that thinks one DAC per digital source is a good idea.

What we can really learn from this hobby and this thread in particular is that being the only one who thinks a particular way or has a particular opinion is, in most cases, fully okay. It does not make you wrong. It doesn't even make you alone! Disagreement is, in my experience, more productive and strengthening and even connection-building then it is counter to those things. When we allow it.

Edit: trying to "mention" Ableza correctly.

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 8:37 AM Post #134,694 of 153,801
You guys are getting close.:

1704036496446.png

A pair of Tyrs at the bottom, a Sol on top, a Yggy, Freya+, Urd, Loki Max, Mjolnir 3, and the upcoming tube phono stage in the middle. Of course you may need a forklift to move it, but everyone has one in the garage, right? 🤣
My parents had one in their house, but it was a HeathKit assembled by my Dad, complete with homemade cabinetry and crossovers. It even had VU meters, as I recall. For classical music listening Only! :)

Jan 1, 2024 at 8:53 AM Post #134,695 of 153,801
Wishing it rains Schiit on all of us this year, hope you all have Happy Schiit year.
It will for the analog and digital winners from the last Schiitr show. :o2smile:

Happy New Year all, to good health and great listening!

Last edited:
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:09 AM Post #134,696 of 153,801
Jan 1, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #134,697 of 153,801
My parents had one in their house, but it was a HeathKit assembled by my Dad, complete with homemade cabinetry and crossovers. It even had VU meters, as I recall. For classical music listening Only! :)
Ahhh....fond memories. We had a Heathkit 25" color TV (TV only, no stereo with it) that my Dad and I put together. I was 12. He put me to work on the circuit boards (there were 11 or 12 of them IIRC) while he worked on wiring up the chassis. Spent a couple weeks of evenings on this as there were a lot of parts. Got to the moment of truth, the family gathered 'round all eager for the excitement of the grand display (visualize the verbal drum rolls of Clark Griswold plugging up the Christmas lights) and.....nothing. Blank screen....no sign of life whatsoever. He was positive (to the fullest extent of that word) that I had done something wrong and had no problem verbalizing that repeatedly. He spent the next week of evenings going over every part and solder joint on the circuit boards to find my error. After striking out there, a couple hours on the phone with a Heathkit tech pointed the problem to be his mistake mislocating a couple of the chassis wires. That was probably the most satisfying moment of my young life. :laughing:

Jan 1, 2024 at 9:39 AM Post #134,698 of 153,801
His C8 Corvette for at least part of it, and how disappointed I am by the new Corvette's looks (it's weirdly overstyled) and the dealer's price gouging but how badly I want to drive one because of how fantastically well-developed a driver's car it is - among the best in the world!
I paid list for mine. Certainly an underrated gem!

Jan 1, 2024 at 9:50 AM Post #134,699 of 153,801
Ahhh....fond memories. We had a Heathkit 25" color TV (TV only, no stereo with it) that my Dad and I put together. I was 12. He put me to work on the circuit boards (there were 11 or 12 of them IIRC) while he worked on wiring up the chassis. Spent a couple weeks of evenings on this as there were a lot of parts. Got to the moment of truth, the family gathered 'round all eager for the excitement of the grand display (visualize the verbal drum rolls of Clark Griswold plugging up the Christmas lights) and.....nothing. Blank screen....no sign of life whatsoever. He was positive (to the fullest extent of that word) that I had done something wrong and had no problem verbalizing that repeatedly. He spent the next week of evenings going over every part and solder joint on the circuit boards to find my error. After striking out there, a couple hours on the phone with a Heathkit tech pointed the problem to be his mistake mislocating a couple of the chassis wires. That was probably the most satisfying moment of my young life. :laughing:
My brother and I weren't allowed anywhere near that project (I think we were younger than 12). Dad was hunched over the bench with his soldering iron for months. The rig sounded pretty good, and then later in life he retired the old electronics and replaced them with Onkyo or something with these 2mm square buttons. But then we got a tape deck. :)

Jan 1, 2024 at 11:23 AM Post #134,700 of 153,801
I can heartily recommend adding the Rekkr to a Valhalla 2 as an amazing hybrid combo. It drives my DCA Stealth and Diana V2 with great authority. Deep, controlled bass and sub bass. Soundstage, timbre, and tonality fantastic.

I was using the FV, but as someone aptly pointed out, I was burning 6 extra tubes over a Valhalla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back