Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 30, 2023 at 1:35 PM Post #134,566 of 150,576
Welcome to the fold! If you're using a hat I don't think you'll be dissapointed.

I also ordered a pimoroni NVMe expansion board so I can boot from ssd instead of the sd card. Seems both companies that make them are backordered so I got on the list and will hopefully get one mid January.

After wishing for years that pi's had a SATA port I'm thrilled they now offer something even better.

I have 3 RPi4 and (1) Pi2AES Lite.
Now I'll add the pi5 to the Pi2AES Lite.

Possible problem. I use an ifi ipowerx and its only 3 amps. Would the gains from the pi5 be negated by using the standard pay?

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 1:38 PM Post #134,567 of 150,576
new year.png

:beerchug:
JC

Dec 30, 2023 at 2:02 PM Post #134,568 of 150,576
The Cue does sound pretty good for a Class D powered speaker, but even though they employ AMT tweets (my favored tweeter technology) they are not something I'd want to own.
They are passive. So the amp is of your choice. In my case it was driven by a Lyngdorf "digital" amplifier TDAI 3400
AMT? Well tastes differ.
Most techniques can be tweaked and DSP'd till you drop. The designers just did a very good job on this one, even for an hour long listen. I hardly ever get that far.
Most likely it was also "tuned" with Lyngdorf's Room Perfect that is integrated in the amp.
Who knows I would have had the scare of my life when they turned the room correction off. I have had that experience before.

Dec 30, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #134,569 of 150,576
I have 3 RPi4 and (1) Pi2AES Lite.
Now I'll add the pi5 to the Pi2AES Lite.

Possible problem. I use an ifi ipowerx and its only 3 amps. Would the gains from the pi5 be negated by using the standard pay?
Hi there. I'm already using the Pineberry NVME top and bottom cards from Poland. I have the Pimoroni in the mail from England. I'm using a 2TB nvme and setting things up for Gen 3x1, rather then the default Gen2, gives read/writes of up to 750MB. Setup is easy from an SDCard and the Raspberry Pi Imager. Just requires some entries to the Config.txt and a change to the boot sequence. That's not an issue for a local renderer via SPDIF hat but improves throughput if used as a NAS or internet server.
The Pi 5 has an all new power supply with full USB-C power negotiation. I will work now will any smart supply, like an apple charger. Amperge isn't likely to effect the I2S interface but voltage droop will. Any supply you get must hold at least 4.8v for the Pi to work. With only a 320G USB3 hard drive attached and the new fan plugged in the Pi 5 works with the 4amp Pi4 supply. It has given me one undervolt warning when getting too computational and overclocked to 2.6GHz. I would get the new 5amp supply to be safe or at least a 4amp low noise supply for the Pi2AES Lite.
Best.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #134,570 of 150,576
Scenario: It's after an audio gathering and ppl go to dinner. You sit across from Jason at the table. What's the conversation?

(Guaranteed it's happened to a few of you.)
Whatever audio tech conundrum that is at the top of my mind - today it would be the Syn on mono material question. Or possibly the art of choosing and placing loudspeakers for acoustically difficult venues.

If such were to be appreciated, otherwise food and drink. I'm not big on wine but I do love good food.

Dec 30, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #134,571 of 150,576
Whatever audio tech conundrum that is at the top of my mind - today it would be the Syn on mono material question. Or possibly the art of choosing and placing loudspeakers for acoustically difficult venues.

If such were to be appreciated, otherwise food and drink. I'm not big on wine but I do love good food.
I'm baffled by the Syn doing anything on mono recordings, unless they are kinda-sorta not mono. Also, through headphones there is some frequency shaping, which could confound things a bit.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 30, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #134,572 of 150,576
They are passive. So the amp is of your choice. In my case it was driven by a Lyngdorf "digital" amplifier TDAI 3400
Oh? Thanks, I thought they were powered. My mistake!

Dec 30, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #134,573 of 150,576
Scenario: It's after an audio gathering and ppl go to dinner. You sit across from Jason at the table. What's the conversation?
Paso Robles VS Amador County VS Sonoma County zinfandel.

Dec 30, 2023 at 4:00 PM Post #134,576 of 150,576
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:16 PM Post #134,577 of 150,576
Have I mentioned recently how much I love the 2x GHorn monoblock, Tekton Lore Reference speakers, Freya+ N, and Yggdrasil+ GS2 combo! 😍

I wish everyone a great and music filled Saturday! (Or Sunday where applicable.)

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:29 PM Post #134,579 of 150,576
Had to pump the brakes on the pi5. Not interested in a new PSU and all the trimmings.

Now to drop a grenade on the conversation.

On a lark I put my Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnect on my Modi Multibit 2. It sounded amazing especially coming from my emotiva interconnects. Sould was quite dull and boring with the Emotiva. Not so much with the blue heaven.

I'm not really advocating for a $500 IC with the MM2, but just saying it sounds darn good.

I don't think the Emotiva is broken. Although I'll not make the mistake of combining them again.

And before you think I'm completely nuts, I bought the BlueHeaven used at half its precovid price. 500 is the brand new price and there is no way I'm spending that on a cable.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #134,580 of 150,576
Had to pump the brakes on the pi5. Not interested in a new PSU and all the trimmings.

Now to drop a grenade on the conversation.

On a lark I put my Nordost Blue Heaven Interconnect on my Modi Multibit 2. It sounded amazing especially coming from my emotiva interconnects. Sould was quite dull and boring with the Emotiva. Not so much with the blue heaven.

I'm not really advocating for a $500 IC with the MM2, but just saying it sounds darn good.

I don't think the Emotiva is broken. Although I'll not make the mistake of combining them again.

And before you think I'm completely nuts, I bought the BlueHeaven used at half its precovid price. 500 is the brand new price and there is no way I'm spending that on a cable.

FWIW, all my analog interconnects are OG Nordost Blue Heaven (the flat one). I love those cables.

:beerchug:
JC

Users who are viewing this thread

Back