Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:30 AM Post #133,801 of 149,509
I always say Winning nothing is better than not winning at all... hahaha
… because there is nothing scarcer than nothing 🤔 🫤 🤣

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #133,802 of 149,509
Question, I have tons of USB C to the normal USB A to connect my Schiit stuff via the USB C ports....
On a new Dell AIO just got there is one USB C port...used for phone attach and charging etc.

Question should I be able to get a USB-C to USB-C cable and attach a Schiit Modius E dac to it and be recognized and function?

If thats true then what type of USB C cable should I get...on Amazon etc many cables UBS c that tout working with fast chargers etc and some state these
dont work for audio only phone charging...

So looking for the correct USB C to USB C cable for this use case.

Help!
Thanks
Alex

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:42 AM Post #133,803 of 149,509
I've had a couple of days with the new-to-me Gungnir Multibit. I'm feeding it from my M1 Mac Mini via a DDC and a RCA-Coax cable. I'll do the Unison USB upgrade in 2-3 months.

I tried it out the day it arrived after being plugged in for 8-9 hours. Intellectually, I was aware of the necessary warm up time and all that it entails, but my expectations and emotions had the bridge that day. After 2 hours of listening, I was disappointed, a little bit deflated, and worried that I wasted a decent amount of cash. The music had a grey veil over it, and there was a harshness in the upper reaches that was fatiguing. The bass certainly dug deeper, the sound stage a touch wider than when listening via my inexpensive delta-sigma DAC that preceded the Gumby, but the overall sound wasn't pleasant. I'd be lying if I said I didn't lose some sleep thinking about it.

Fast-forward to noon the next day.

SWEET BUBBA JEEBUS!

The sound was rich and deep and wide. On Neil Young's "Be the Rain" I could actually hear Billy Talbot's bass notes rather than the low and buried rumble that I expected. And they were DEEP. I had to dial back the Lokius's sub bass and bass knobs from where I'd normally have them. I was hearing fine detail in Neil's strumming - an obvious rapid circular pattern - that was not there previously in the swampy distorted grunge of his longtime beat-to-Hell Les Paul that he's named "Old Black". Cannonball Adderly and Miles Davis' "One for Daddy-O": The sound-stage in the Sundara was w-i-d-e. The instrument separation was amazing. The clarity in the notes of the standup bass was a revelation. High-hat taps and cymbal splashes sound real - very analog with no digital tinge to spoil the music. The Saxophone and trumpet were in the room with me. Thwacks to drum heads have a proper thump, echo, and fade that you hear at a live venue. Listening to other random songs, I could pick out and focus on individual instruments and backup singers where previously they were buried in the mix. Familiar songs presented details that I'd not noticed before. Listening for a few hours last evening, the sound had improved even more. Was I grinning widely? Oh yeah! My wife might not see much of me over the next few days! :ksc75smile:

For the headphone stack, this is an endgame DAC for me. Music sounds incredible, real, and brand new. I'll try the AKG 712's with their wider (but shallow) soundstage today, as well as the HD-650's. I am looking at some higher-end Hifiman and Dan Clark Audio cans too. Now that this stack is almost complete (looking at you, Mjolnir 3, or something else that Schiit has in the pipeline), I'll be able to turn my focus to the speaker system in the basement.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #133,804 of 149,509
@Jason Stoddard thank you for answering my question yesterday about sustainability. The longevity of the products was a good response. My thoughts are that Schiit also has excellent manufacturing efficiencies, low waste and the potential for recycling opportunities (including B stock) most of which also help to keep the overall cost down.

I guess, in future, renewable energy sources would become more of a possibility. Maybe the packaging is already made of recycled materials?

Andrew
Another sustainability thing that I don’t think was mentioned on stream, but has been stated otherwhere is that they will repair everything they ever released as long as parts are available, all the way back to the first Asgard, the first amp they produced.

This is great because unless one is - or knows someone that is - some kind of electronics guru, one’s old amp with a blown (but replacable) component would be basically junk. And most people (including me) aren’t knowledgeable enough with electronics to be able to pull that off.

Dec 23, 2023 at 8:48 AM Post #133,805 of 149,509
Question, I have tons of USB C to the normal USB A to connect my Schiit stuff via the USB C ports....
On a new Dell AIO just got there is one USB C port...used for phone attach and charging etc.

Question should I be able to get a USB-C to USB-C cable and attach a Schiit Modius E dac to it and be recognized and function?

If thats true then what type of USB C cable should I get...on Amazon etc many cables UBS c that tout working with fast chargers etc and some state these

Help!
Thanks
Alex
Charge only cables won't work. You need a data/charge cable. Something like this Anker cable. Anker 543 USB-C to USB-C Cable (Bio-Braided)

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:01 AM Post #133,806 of 149,509

Help!
Thanks
Alex

I'm a huge fan of thunderbolt USB C cables for USB audio. Overbuilt and overkill for UAC2, but reliable and effective.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 9:44 AM Post #133,807 of 149,509
I swear I thought I saw JS' eye twitch when we started going on about VU meters. And then he started raving about subscription fees... followed by a gulp of red wine. So, it looks like I'm DIY-ing my own creation. In my case, such analogue meters are for decoration. Full stop.

...and then some wag got him onto streamers. Both eyes started twitching. And Dave (guy off the camera [engineer dude?]) gave a HARD 'no' to that option. Once our ILLUSTRIOUS leader (not sorry) calmed down somewhat, he did make a good point -- get a Mac Mini. Here is what How To Geek has to say about these round-edged creations from big bad Apple. In my case, I have an overpowered Pi, a daughter SPID/F board, touch screen packed up in a box somewhere. I'll make my own. When I get bored mid-winter, I have another DIY to do. Interested? Visit this site.

I'm curious to see how companies like Schiit Audio Ltd. and JDS Labs will get new, YOUNGER users to climb on board the good-audio-bandwagon? Re: last night's comment... Wired headphones are what gamers are using. I wonder if Schiit wants to chase after this market? @Jason Stoddard made it crystal clear -- no plans for Bluetooth connectivity. Perhaps the company will pair up with a smaller company who WILL develop wireless technology customized for the competitive gaming community. Hell, Schiit paired up with Dan Clark Audio and produced that nifty kit. It's not targeted at me -- and that's cool with me (when my niece & nephew get their inheritances unlocked, I might point them to such pairings [if good audio is what they desire]).

Eventually, my time renting in this little village will end, and we move our circus into our new off-grid home in the woods (shameless link here). By then, I will have spent time with fellow dudes (Bruce Men's Shed)... to make more friends... and possibly get my woodcraft groove on. My spouse promises me a rose garden AND a 2-channel system. Re: Gungnir 2.x ... ... I want to get another DAC... as my current Bifrost Multibit is reserved from my listening nook (shed). I would like a product that's between whatever future Bifrost 2.x is offered and a honkin' oversized YGGDRASIL . Heh, we'll see what 2024 and 2025 brings!!! :)

Key terms: DAC, Men's Shed (non-toxic social groups), Gungnir, Bifrost, Pi, streaming hardware, marketing, VU analog, Bluetooth.
Thanks for the shameless link ... very nice spot. I'm a bit surprised you're not using Typar.

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:53 AM Post #133,808 of 149,509
It is an issue because the bitrate, sample frequency/bit depth varies from track to track and should be sent to the decoding DAC in its native form for maximum fidelity. If not, i.e., if it is transcoded to some fixed sample frequency/bit depth, the result may be degraded.
Roon does that when I play music thru the Macbook Pro's speakers (which rarely happens). It changes the signal from the native bit depth to 64-bit floating and then back to native, and then sends the signal to the speakers. The comment says it's to improve signal linearity.

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:56 AM Post #133,809 of 149,509
122323santa.jpg

Surely, everyone here is on the Nice List...right?
Merry Christmas to all, and to all Good Schiit!

Dec 23, 2023 at 9:58 AM Post #133,810 of 149,509
It's been sold out since initial offer. This isn't the indication you think it is, although im sure the next run will sell out as I too actually need an end point over ethernet and can't be bothered to build a pi4.
What's your budget?

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:06 AM Post #133,811 of 149,509
Finally gave up as my target speakers came down so low on price I had to pull the trigger. My question for the forum is how long can my XLR runs be from Freya to Gjallarrhorn? 25' is the minimum, 40' would be nice. Do we care about length of XLR interconnects?
I have been using first a Jot on a bedroom nightstand to 2 Aegirs for speaker use and currently my old MJ2 is there. It's a 40' run up over and behind furniture around the room. No problem.

In the den I have a 30' run. Go for it and enjoy!:)

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:10 AM Post #133,812 of 149,509
Another sustainability thing that I don’t think was mentioned on stream, but has been stated otherwhere is that they will repair everything they ever released as long as parts are available, all the way back to the first Asgard, the first amp they produced.

This is great because unless one is - or knows someone that is - some kind of electronics guru, one’s old amp with a blown (but replacable) component would be basically junk. And most people (including me) aren’t knowledgeable enough with electronics to be able to pull that off.
Quad UK still does this with equipment 60 years old! Bring it in and it will be fixed. Has nothing to do with sustainability, just good service.

Dec 23, 2023 at 10:47 AM Post #133,815 of 149,509

Help!
Thanks
Alex
Anker cables work and are inexpensive. Cable lengths over 2m may not work effectively.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back