Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:28 PM Post #133,771 of 151,447
My Bifrost is celebrating its 10th birthday this month. I bought it from the first batch of black Schiit.

Originally an Uber Analog with Gen 2 USB, I upgraded to Multibit and Gen 5 USB in 2018, then upgraded to Unison USB in 2022.

My Bifrost has been in continuous use for the past 10 years (except when I sent it back to the North Pole for its Multibit upgrade). I could try other Schiit DACs -- and I've seriously considered it -- but I am supremely satisfied with what I have.

Thanks, Jason and Mike, for making audio equipment that lasts.
I have a 4490 with Unison that’s still on my desk. Underneath Lyr 1!

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:31 PM Post #133,772 of 151,447
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:32 PM Post #133,773 of 151,447
I guess I stand corrected. I thought it was F'in Raucous, which is the exact ticket for Marilyn Manson and other fine music. 🤣
You, sir. You need to be watched…

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:35 PM Post #133,774 of 151,447
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:39 PM Post #133,775 of 151,447
Question which may change my whole thought process...

Is there any subjective or objective difference in running a non-Unison USB device straight into Unison USB Yggy as opposed to running it into Unison-USB Urd and having Urd connected to Yggy Unison USB creating a Unison transmitter to Unison USB receiver pair? (Whew!)

Does Unison to Unison bring anything to the party in comarison to plain ole USB to Unison?
I’ve never tried that. Maybe over the break!

Dec 22, 2023 at 10:44 PM Post #133,776 of 151,447
I thought you wanted a 300B?
I do. But IIRC, Jason cast that into the notgonnahappen bucket, so maybe a less expensive output tube scheme is in order. A 2A3 run single ended at a couple watts can be pretty glorious too. I will not, however, downgrade my dreams into some triode-strapped pentode mutation, so it ends here. :smile: :smile:

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 10:46 PM Post #133,777 of 151,447
Proof of the switch to Unison out:

IMG_9106.jpeg

In my opinion. :)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 11:56 PM Post #133,778 of 151,447
So here’s a weird thing that happens with my Yggy.

It’s mid-November and getting a bit chilly and dry. Static electricity becomes an issue around this time in Southern California. A couple of days ago I took off my flannel sweater and tossed it onto a chair about 15 feet away from my stereo system. As the shirt landed, I heard the clicks of what I assume were the muting relays in the Yggy. I thought it was a coincidence but picked up the sweater and tried again. Same result.

A couple of days later I was lighting a burner on the stove and it happened again. The stove uses an electric starter that I am guessing uses a high voltage arc to ignite the gas. It is about 20-25 feet away from the stereo, but in line-of-sight. I was able to consistently trigger the relays by doing this a couple more times, but could not duplicate the effect 30 minutes later.

My current (possibly completely wrong) guess is that the flash from the static is emitting light in the spectrum that the remote uses (Infrared???) that I cannot see, but is partially triggering the remote sensor. I believe that most of the time that this happens is when it is dark outside and there is less ambient light that might over power a flash from a static spark.

Does any of this make sense or are the Schiitake mushrooms I’ve been smoking starting to affect my mind?
Your stove was started with a piezo/electric spark. Hi voltage wasn't involved. Here's the science if you're interested
I like it a lot. Certainly the best tube I have had in it and that includes a Gold Electro-Harmonix and an RCA NOS tube. I'd like to try the CV181-T MKII.
I've been listening to the Apos Ray 6sn7{https://apos.audio/products/apos-ray-vacuum-tube-6sn7-select} for the past several days. This new tube was presented on the forum several weeks ago (https://www.head-fi.org/threads/meet-the-apos-ray-6sn7-select-vacuum-tubes.970867/).

I have a collection of tubes, many old new stock valves regarded as the standard best. I have new tubes Tung Sol, ShuGuang Treasure, PSVane Globe, and others. I think this new tube is very good. 2 days aren't enough to make a firm opinion, but this new tube is very nice, especially at $50 shipped.

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:01 AM Post #133,779 of 151,447
I ran two CDs tonight in USB mode. surprised that Unison USB stayed unbroken for two whole discs. RCA SPIDF digital cable (coax) is still entirely more reliable and consistent than the Unison USB.

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:09 AM Post #133,780 of 151,447
I ran two CDs tonight in USB mode. surprised that Unison USB stayed unbroken for two whole discs. RCA SPIDF digital cable (coax) is still entirely more reliable and consistent than the Unison USB.
I've been using Unison USB for the past year and a half. Always great, never a problem.

As a regular on this forum, I don't recall anyone, other than you, having problems with unison USB.

I suggest you consult Schiit.

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:13 AM Post #133,781 of 151,447
Mine is rock solid as well, I agree with @cgb3 - I’d ask Schiit and try a different cable. I can probably dig my order out of amazon if that’d help. Pretty sure I went with a reasonable yet expedient solution. I changed from Bifrost 2 to Yggdrasil a few weeks ago. Same cable no issues. 🤷🏼

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 12:25 AM Post #133,782 of 151,447
I do. But IIRC, Jason cast that into the notgonnahappen bucket, so maybe a less expensive output tube scheme is in order. A 2A3 run single ended at a couple watts can be pretty glorious too. I will not, however, downgrade my dreams into some triode-strapped pentode mutation, so it ends here. :smile: :smile:

DNA Supernaut has convinced me NOT TO dismiss this triode strapped pentode mutation. It sounds so dang glorious to my ears

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:29 AM Post #133,783 of 151,447
Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 1:09 AM Post #133,784 of 151,447
Maybe... what Jason couldn't talk about was... something really hot 'n bright.

P52.jpg

The 845 amp of our dreams. 25W set with 1200+ volts on the plate. 2000 kelvin thoriated tungsten filament for lighting the darkness between our ears. New production tubes available. Just trade-in your yiggy wife car. :ksc75smile:

Dec 23, 2023 at 1:14 AM Post #133,785 of 151,447

Users who are viewing this thread

Back