Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #133,741 of 152,721
I guess I stand corrected. I thought it was F'in Raucous, which is the exact ticket for Marilyn Manson and other fine music. 🤣
Speaking of Fracking Raucous, if anybody has not yet heard Model/Actriz's debut album 'Dogsbody', change that soon, yeah? It will move you... probably literally depending on your speakers in play. :wink:

http://open.qobuz.com/album/zzjoa7sz58tuc

IMG_6007.jpeg

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:00 PM Post #133,742 of 152,721
I spent some time yesterday comparing the internal ES9028 DAC in Asgard 3 with my Denafrips Ares II. The Ares went back in the box and into the closet. Nothing wrong with the Ares but I prefer the internal DAC and I like having one less box on my very small desk. Nicely done pairing it with the DC Aeon RT.
Also opinion: a lot of that is Unison USB.

Unison USB works really really well with slightly sharp DACs, like the ESS line. IMO.

Dave disagrees with me on this. He still likes AKM. It's a wonderful world, full of an infinite variety of opinions!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:01 PM Post #133,743 of 152,721
Question which may change my whole thought process...

Is there any subjective or objective difference in running a non-Unison USB device straight into Unison USB Yggy as opposed to running it into Unison-USB Urd and having Urd connected to Yggy Unison USB creating a Unison transmitter to Unison USB receiver pair? (Whew!)

Does Unison to Unison bring anything to the party in comarison to plain ole USB to Unison?

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #133,744 of 152,721
Question which may change my whole thought process...

Is there any subjective or objective difference in running a non-Unison USB device straight into Unison USB Yggy as opposed to running it into Unison-USB Urd and having Urd connected to Yggy Unison USB creating a Unison transmitter to Unison USB receiver pair? (Whew!)

Does Unison to Unison bring anything to the party in comarison to plain ole USB to Unison?
In some people's opinion, yes.

But it doesn't matter unless it matters to you.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:06 PM Post #133,745 of 152,721
Fair enough. Is there an engineering argument for or against Unison to Unison performing better?

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:07 PM Post #133,747 of 152,721
Fair enough. Is there an engineering argument for or against Unison to Unison performing better?
Seems like you need to try and decide for yourself 😂

I can see Mrs. Ripper purchasing you an Urd in the future.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:11 PM Post #133,748 of 152,721
If there's not an engineering reason to support it possibly sounding better, I aint gonna waste my time or money or beg for a DDC/Unison USB Switcher. If there is, then it could be worth finding out if it translates into a sonic difference with my ears, gear, music.

As for an Urd - If I really listened to CDs enough I'd be all over one. 98% of my listening is via locally ripped CD content or Qobuz. My physical CD listening is not sufficient to warrant an Urd for me. Now if SOL was still around... 😏

**Jason's probably not gonna say as it will just be seen as feeding into nervosa and he doesn't do that - at least not on purpose. 😉

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #133,749 of 152,721
I'll take a look at Audirvana and Roon. If either can access network shares, I'll pick one.
I like roon for my use cases, multi-room playback, auto-metadata-rization of classical, on-the road playback with RAC (buggy that one).

I've been using its crossfeed DSP on my MJ3 and its nice. (They call their DSP features MUSE because they like to be annoying.)

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 8:45 PM Post #133,750 of 152,721
As long as your DAC has a Unison USB input, a dedicated DDC is completely pointless. Unison buffers and reclocks the incoming stream. If you want to connect multiple DACs to your [streamer/Mac/PC], plug them into separate USB ports or get a halfway decent USB hub if you're low on free ports, and you're golden.
If your DAC doesn't have Unison USB, get the upgrade board if it's a Schiit DAC, or reevaluate your DAC choices if it's not. ;p

And that's also why there's not really a market for those from Schiit's perspective. You can already get the same or better result a different way without the extra box. Unison IS your DDC, it's built right in. Essentially for free. That's the Schiit way, not by upselling you a bunch of extra boxes of questionable utility.
Exactly. I bought Urd as a CD transport, and I find the added usb INs to be a convenience. But I’d do the same thing with a good hub in the absence of Urd. And not everyone needs an Urd. But I do.

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:52 PM Post #133,751 of 152,721
Seems like you need to try and decide for yourself 😂

I can see you purchasing one and hoping Mrs. Ripper doesn't kill you. Instantly.
FTFY. 🤣

Dec 22, 2023 at 8:57 PM Post #133,752 of 152,721
Actually, I hope it would be instant as opposed to the protracted torture she could opt to inflict before killing me. 😒

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:00 PM Post #133,753 of 152,721
It is popular in high end for expensive but poorly made DACs. Because at that level DDC makes more difference.
There. Fixed it for you.

Dec 22, 2023 at 9:10 PM Post #133,754 of 152,721
Ok. Fired up my Schiit rig, queued up some tunes via Roon from a non-Unison USB RPi to Unison on Yggy and...

SUBLIME! I don't NEED no stinking Unison USB switcher/DDC. Can't say I won't WANT one again tomorrow, but for now I'm in audio BLISS and in NEED of nothing. 😍

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 9:20 PM Post #133,755 of 152,721

Users who are viewing this thread

Back