Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #133,713 of 155,068
Good question. I believe Jason stated he was driving a pair of LRS in the Schiittr sound room with Aegir 2 and had no issues. Not sure if it was mono-blocks, but he seemed happy and surpised with how it perfomed without protection kicking in, so I suspect it was mono-blocks.

** Full disclosure: I had a couple of mixed drinks while watching the live stream so...

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 5:02 PM Post #133,714 of 155,068
Dec 22, 2023 at 5:19 PM Post #133,716 of 155,068
Wait……are you suggesting that a “right” mind is required here? I’m toast.
Jason seems to be a pretty tolerant guy, so I'd wager all minds are welcome aboard the mighty Schiit-wagon!!
* minus the ones that are just trollin' for sport
PS: looks great!!
Appreciate it @bcowen
:beerchug:

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #133,717 of 155,068
Jason Stoddard thank you for answering my question yesterday about sustainability. The longevity of the products was a good response. My thoughts are that Schiit also has excellent manufacturing efficiencies, low waste and the potential for recycling opportunities (including B stock) most of which also help to keep the overall cost down.

I guess, in future, renewable energy sources would become more of a possibility. Maybe the packaging is already made of recycled materials?

Andrew
My Bifrost is celebrating its 10th birthday this month. I bought it from the first batch of black Schiit.

Originally an Uber Analog with Gen 2 USB, I upgraded to Multibit and Gen 5 USB in 2018, then upgraded to Unison USB in 2022.

My Bifrost has been in continuous use for the past 10 years (except when I sent it back to the North Pole for its Multibit upgrade). I could try other Schiit DACs -- and I've seriously considered it -- but I am supremely satisfied with what I have.

Thanks, Jason and Mike, for making audio equipment that lasts.

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:37 PM Post #133,719 of 155,068
Trolling for plankton? Nah, one needs a very fine mesh veil to catch them.

I don’t mean to get salty, but I’d krill for some plankton right now!

Dec 22, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #133,721 of 155,068
Who in their right mind is going to spend $$$ on a cosmetic silver lid just because it wasn't an option on the first run MJ3?!!

Me, that's who :)

I did a thing today.

New lid day!!
new-lid-day.jpg

It ain't black on the underside ...
underside-is-not-black.jpg

Presto, chango, swapperoo!
mj3-swapperoo.jpg

Meet the updated stack (Gungnir A1 MB, MJ3 clad in silver, FV clad in silver)
gungnir-mj3-fv-stack.jpg

Does it sound better? ... Nope!
Does it look better? ... To me, very much!!
Does it make me happy? ... Oh hell yeah!!!

Now the wait for Gungnir 2 begins ...
:beerchug:
* This is a crosspost from the Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Beauty is in the eye of the Beer Holder. Looks great, I did the same for my Loki Max.

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:14 PM Post #133,723 of 155,068
Holo Red DDC is very popular in high end chains. It's always sold out.
It's also a streamer, which is likely why it is in some demand. And Jason said once again the EOY vid that there are no streamers in Schiit's future, with Dave concurring from off-camera.

There are streamers at every price point from < $200 (WiiM) to $XK (for increasingly absurd values of X). They are all just computers with a certain collection of digital inputs and outputs and some more-or-less tailored software (most often Linux-based). There's very little there where Schiit could apply their mold-breaking creativity to reduce cost or improve quality, after they cracked USB audio with Unison. The fancy clocks and isolation advertised for streamers are irrelevant once you have solid USB audio. What remains is a computer with Ethernet and/or WiFi and USB. You can roll your own with your favorite software as well as anybody.

Dec 22, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #133,724 of 155,068
I think he *is* in the Solid State camp for phono preamps, but there must be enough interest in the community as well as enough people at Schiit that got him to at least make a prototype and he must have really liked one of the prototypes he made. Skoll was made because of a gap in the market wrt balanced phono preamps, so they must be shooting for a gap in the tube phono pre market and doing a single run to see how much actual support there is for that product. This is based not on any inside info, just from enough times watching all the schiit live streams and reading the chapters and whatnot. So I could be wrong!
I think there actually is a gap in the tubed phono preamp market. I've had quite a number of phono preamps pass through my hands over the years -- most tubed (surprise, surprise) but a few solid-state ones too. From what I've heard (and this is just my experience, so take it FWIW), the truly TOTL tube units that sound really good are very expensive. Very. And the tube units that are relatively inexpensive don't sound very good. If Jason positions this thing in the TOTL category and then sells it at a Schiit price, the demand could be surprising. I have no doubt that Jason could engineer *THE* TOTL tube phono stage if that's what he wanted to do, cost be damned. But that's not very Schiit-like. What I'm really interested in is how far he can take this thing at a price that, while possibly expensive relative to most Schiit gear, might be a bargain in the tube phono market at the $2k price he hinted.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 6:44 PM Post #133,725 of 155,068
If your DAC doesn't have Unison USB, get the upgrade board if it's a Schiit DAC, or reevaluate your DAC choices if it's not. ;p
The first DAC I owned that sounded as good from USB as from S/PDIF (AES or coax) was a Soekris dac1541, which came out well before Unison. Holo Spring 2 and May have excellent USB inputs too. I was an early tester for Unison (Yggdrasil) and it brought USB to the level of S/PDIF from a pricey streamer. I've built Pi-based streamers with Pi2AES hat S/PDIF outputs that (in a couple of blind tests) might have sounded slightly better into Yggdrasil than USB from another small computer source, but these days, I use low-ish cost USB sources for all my DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back