Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2023 at 12:28 PM Post #133,831 of 151,302
$798.00 :wink:
I'm aware of the SU-6 and U18 DDC's (shout out to the U18 being SLASHED in initial MSRP basically in half holy smokes just saw its $418)
But I am also a slave to the looks, utility, measurements, and all-in-one nature of that particular red box. They should be ramping up production Jan 23 last rumor I heard. I'll be running network to 2-channel. All of this will have to wait until August/September 24 unfortunately as I'm in the process of moving cross country.

For simplicity streaming, I've also set my mom up with a Wiim Pro+ to her Sevens so she can use Alexa :beerchug: There's many ways to skin this cat for all price-points.
OK. I'm not a fan of Gustard having owned one of their DACs many years ago, but if you like them then the price certainly falls below your number. You can pick up a Microrendu for that number, which could be something to consider.

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #133,832 of 151,302
Posted about this in other places, but I've got a question for fellow MJ3 and Yggdrasil owners.

Discovered a couple quirks with both my Mjolnir 3 (first run, purchased on release date) and my new Yggy+ GS2. I already contacted Schiit about the Yggy, as it's still in return period (until Jan 1st). Don't think I'll get a response until after the new year with the holidays but I have no doubts Schiit will make it right. Just want to see if anyone else has come across these "issues", and if they are even issues at all.

In regards to Yggdrasil:
1. When I press the mute button, the right channel is muted completely, but the left signal is still being passed through at a low/heavily distorted/crunchy level. Anyone else have this happening with their unit? I assume mute should be completely muted.

In regards to MJ3:
1. Does anyone else's unit take a bit for 1 channel to switch gain? My right channel is bumped in gain/volume immediately, while the left takes about 20 seconds to switch over, this time is decreased after the amp is fully warmed up.

2. I know I got a response here saying this one was fairly normal, but want to know if this happens in all MJ3s: I have input bleeding/crosstalk between the XLR and RCA inputs. My amp is only being fed through XLR, but if I switch it to RCA input (with no RCAs plugged in) and raise the volume knob, I can hear the music playing through the XLR inputs at a low and distorted level.

Thanks in advance for helping me deal with my expensive goody nervosa.
Will delete if this is not the right place for this!

With Yggdrasil+ MIB:

I press the mute button, no sound passing through at all unless I crank up the gain on my amp significantly and both channels are active and surprisingly matched

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:35 PM Post #133,833 of 151,302
It should be interesting, but I was honestly a bit disappointed that this is not the Nexus-based prototype that @Jason Stoddard mentioned in the Skoll chapter.

Thought Jason was the in the SS camp of phono preamp instead of tube (limited rolling options, etc, iterated multiple times in the past). Guess the market force / voice is in the play...
I love that they release tube gear, both crazy over the top like the Folkvangr and also keep the tube amps going, now with the Valhalla3 (I’ll probably snap that one as soon as it appears, especially as Jason said it would possibly look like mini Folkvangr and have some of its tech inside :smiley:)

Tube rolling options on the tube phono seems to be pretty good though. If understood what was said on stream correctly, it will use 6N1P tubes (same as in Valhalla, Folkvangr) and rollable with 6922 type tubes as well (same as Vali2, 2+, not 2++)

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:50 PM Post #133,834 of 151,302
I love that they release tube gear, both crazy over the top like the Folkvangr and also keep the tube amps going, now with the Valhalla3 (I’ll probably snap that one as soon as it appears, especially as Jason said it would possibly look like mini Folkvangr and have some of its tech inside :smiley:)

Tube rolling options on the tube phono seems to be pretty good though. If understood what was said on stream correctly, it will use 6N1P tubes (same as in Valhalla, Folkvangr) and rollable with 6922 type tubes as well (same as Vali2, 2+, not 2++)
V2++ with adapters, then 6dj8, 6sn7, 12au7.....

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #133,835 of 151,302
You can pick up a Microrendu for that number, which could be something to consider.
I haven't used any of the Small Green Computer stuff but its well regarded and I would love to run an optical system throughout the house. Probably overkill, but that's why audio nervosa exists I guess.

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #133,836 of 151,302
If you want a very satisfying track plug up to the Vali +++ (what's the real version anyways now haha?) and the Gumby then find David Bowie's Fame(2016 Remaster) the first 17 seconds or so are that DAC flexing.

Thanks! I'll give it a try 👍

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:57 PM Post #133,837 of 151,302
OK. I'm not a fan of Gustard having owned one of their DACs many years ago, but if you like them then the price certainly falls below your number. You can pick up a Microrendu for that number, which could be something to consider.
I'd only go for an R26 if anything to just totally simplify. The SU-6 measures far better than the U18 unfortunately.
I totally forgot about microRendu and now I can hear John Darko's voice saying it (along with SqueezeLite).
This is also sold out^ but the ultraRendu is available new and used for below budget or $1100 with PSU.

Dec 23, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #133,838 of 151,302

NOOOOOO I just got a Valhalla 2 last week. I need to watch that stream ASAP. I SLEPT THROUGH THE SCHIITR MEET THURSDAY and I was there Sunday :scream_cat:
I'll just order some Telefunken Black Diamond's and enjoy what I got haha. I'll only be sad if the OI on the 3 approaches 1Ohm in Low Gain, I can use my Rn6 (26ohms) on the Valhalla 2 but the EVO(5.7ohms)/MEST(12.5ohms) (and my CFA stuff) have inappropriate impedance matching. *Vali 2++ stares from the corner*

Dec 23, 2023 at 1:17 PM Post #133,839 of 151,302
In regards to MJ3:
1. Does anyone else's unit take a bit for 1 channel to switch gain? My right channel is bumped in gain/volume immediately, while the left takes about 20 seconds to switch over, this time is decreased after the amp is fully warmed up.
Try wiggling the gain switch gently. I've had this issue every once and awhile with my Asgard 3.

Dec 23, 2023 at 1:18 PM Post #133,840 of 151,302
I haven't used any of the Small Green Computer stuff but its well regarded and I would love to run an optical system throughout the house. Probably overkill, but that's why audio nervosa exists I guess.
You want Dante. I mean, I want Dante, but you do, too....

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:10 PM Post #133,841 of 151,302
I'd only go for an R26 if anything to just totally simplify. The SU-6 measures far better than the U18 unfortunately.
I totally forgot about microRendu and now I can hear John Darko's voice saying it (along with SqueezeLite).
This is also sold out^ but the ultraRendu is available new and used for below budget or $1100 with PSU.
I currently have three Ultrarendus in my house. They work great.

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:15 PM Post #133,842 of 151,302
This one is really worth listening to!!

https://open.qobuz.com/track/1755945

Awesome !

1703358867812.png

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #133,843 of 151,302
I use one of their servers and three ultrarendus, but no optical stuff. I want convenience but no nervosa for this boy. :)

Dec 23, 2023 at 2:32 PM Post #133,844 of 151,302
So it seems that you may have a nervosa about nervosas. 😏

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 2:34 PM Post #133,845 of 151,302
You, sir, are a man with wisdom and an obviously pedigreed upbringing.

That might be a bit of overkill for a headphone amp, but then overkill itself is just a vague and unproven concept when it comes to audio. :smile:
Thank you, sir, for your exaggerations.

Perhaps the 845 is a tad of overkill - whatever that is. However, I consider speakers to be ill-fitting headphones that one shares with others - begrudgingly. :jecklinsmile:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back