Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 23, 2023 at 11:04 AM Post #133,816 of 151,315
Question, I have tons of USB C to the normal USB A to connect my Schiit stuff via the USB C ports....
On a new Dell AIO just got there is one USB C port...used for phone attach and charging etc.

Question should I be able to get a USB-C to USB-C cable and attach a Schiit Modius E dac to it and be recognized and function?

If thats true then what type of USB C cable should I get...on Amazon etc many cables UBS c that tout working with fast chargers etc and some state these
dont work for audio only phone charging...

So looking for the correct USB C to USB C cable for this use case.

Help!
Thanks
Alex
You can’t go wrong wit Apple branded cables. Amazon Basics works too.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:16 AM Post #133,817 of 151,315
... Do we care about length of XLR interconnects?
As long as they are true XLR inputs and outputs, not really. This person says 100ft (30m).

Long interconnect (long XLR to amp) and short speaker wires is the rule-of-thumb. I was recently surprised that "short" in that rule actually meant less than 15ft (5m) rather than the 3-6ft (1-2m) I had been assuming.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #133,818 of 151,315
However, for audio nervosa enthusiasts, 1000 feet of 6n silver wire, braided and sleeved by mutant audio geeks standing on invisible quartz crystals time-aligned to the cosmic constant inside a secret bespoke laboratory encapsulated in thick film sanity-free hyperbolic embellishment is going to cost extra. :ksc75smile:
Look, I want my cables like my cigars, braided on the thighs of virgins sitting astride unicorns within a quartz-lined Faraday cage.
Then bathed in the milk of The Muses, once for each. Cryogenically, of course,

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #133,819 of 151,315
Dec 23, 2023 at 11:38 AM Post #133,820 of 151,315
Posted about this in other places, but I've got a question for fellow MJ3 and Yggdrasil owners.

Discovered a couple quirks with both my Mjolnir 3 (first run, purchased on release date) and my new Yggy+ GS2. I already contacted Schiit about the Yggy, as it's still in return period (until Jan 1st). Don't think I'll get a response until after the new year with the holidays but I have no doubts Schiit will make it right. Just want to see if anyone else has come across these "issues", and if they are even issues at all.

In regards to Yggdrasil:
1. When I press the mute button, the right channel is muted completely, but the left signal is still being passed through at a low/heavily distorted/crunchy level. Anyone else have this happening with their unit? I assume mute should be completely muted.

In regards to MJ3:
1. Does anyone else's unit take a bit for 1 channel to switch gain? My right channel is bumped in gain/volume immediately, while the left takes about 20 seconds to switch over, this time is decreased after the amp is fully warmed up.

2. I know I got a response here saying this one was fairly normal, but want to know if this happens in all MJ3s: I have input bleeding/crosstalk between the XLR and RCA inputs. My amp is only being fed through XLR, but if I switch it to RCA input (with no RCAs plugged in) and raise the volume knob, I can hear the music playing through the XLR inputs at a low and distorted level.

Thanks in advance for helping me deal with my expensive goody nervosa.
Will delete if this is not the right place for this!

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 11:41 AM Post #133,822 of 151,315
I've had a couple of days with the new-to-me Gungnir Multibit. I'm feeding it from my M1 Mac Mini via a DDC and a RCA-Coax cable. I'll do the Unison USB upgrade in 2-3 months.

I tried it out the day it arrived after being plugged in for 8-9 hours. Intellectually, I was aware of the necessary warm up time and all that it entails, but my expectations and emotions had the bridge that day. After 2 hours of listening, I was disappointed, a little bit deflated, and worried that I wasted a decent amount of cash. The music had a grey veil over it, and there was a harshness in the upper reaches that was fatiguing. The bass certainly dug deeper, the sound stage a touch wider than when listening via my inexpensive delta-sigma DAC that preceded the Gumby, but the overall sound wasn't pleasant. I'd be lying if I said I didn't lose some sleep thinking about it.

Fast-forward to noon the next day.

SWEET BUBBA JEEBUS!

The sound was rich and deep and wide. On Neil Young's "Be the Rain" I could actually hear Billy Talbot's bass notes rather than the low and buried rumble that I expected. And they were DEEP. I had to dial back the Lokius's sub bass and bass knobs from where I'd normally have them. I was hearing fine detail in Neil's strumming - an obvious rapid circular pattern - that was not there previously in the swampy distorted grunge of his longtime beat-to-Hell Les Paul that he's named "Old Black". Cannonball Adderly and Miles Davis' "One for Daddy-O": The sound-stage in the Sundara was w-i-d-e. The instrument separation was amazing. The clarity in the notes of the standup bass was a revelation. High-hat taps and cymbal splashes sound real - very analog with no digital tinge to spoil the music. The Saxophone and trumpet were in the room with me. Thwacks to drum heads have a proper thump, echo, and fade that you hear at a live venue. Listening to other random songs, I could pick out and focus on individual instruments and backup singers where previously they were buried in the mix. Familiar songs presented details that I'd not noticed before. Listening for a few hours last evening, the sound had improved even more. Was I grinning widely? Oh yeah! My wife might not see much of me over the next few days! :ksc75smile:

For the headphone stack, this is an endgame DAC for me. Music sounds incredible, real, and brand new. I'll try the AKG 712's with their wider (but shallow) soundstage today, as well as the HD-650's. I am looking at some higher-end Hifiman and Dan Clark Audio cans too. Now that this stack is almost complete (looking at you, Mjolnir 3, or something else that Schiit has in the pipeline), I'll be able to turn my focus to the speaker system in the basement.
If you want a very satisfying track plug up to the Vali +++ (what's the real version anyways now haha?) and the Gumby then find David Bowie's Fame(2016 Remaster) the first 17 seconds or so are that DAC flexing.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #133,823 of 151,315

In regards to Yggdrasil:
1. When I press the mute button, the right channel is muted completely, but the left signal is still being passed through at a low/heavily distorted/crunchy level. Anyone else have this happening with their unit? I assume mute should be completely muted.

Something is off. Schiit Audio will fix that.

Dec 23, 2023 at 11:50 AM Post #133,824 of 151,315
Posted about this in other places, but I've got a question for fellow MJ3 and Yggdrasil owners.

Discovered a couple quirks with both my Mjolnir 3 (first run, purchased on release date) and my new Yggy+ GS2. I already contacted Schiit about the Yggy, as it's still in return period (until Jan 1st). Don't think I'll get a response until after the new year with the holidays but I have no doubts Schiit will make it right. Just want to see if anyone else has come across these "issues", and if they are even issues at all.

In regards to Yggdrasil:

In regards to MJ3:
1. Does anyone else's unit take a bit for 1 channel to switch gain? My right channel is bumped in gain/volume immediately, while the left takes about 20 seconds to switch over, this time is decreased after the amp is fully warmed up.

2. I know I got a response here saying this one was fairly normal, but want to know if this happens in all MJ3s: I have input bleeding/crosstalk between the XLR and RCA inputs. My amp is only being fed through XLR, but if I switch it to RCA input (with no RCAs plugged in) and raise the volume knob, I can hear the music playing through the XLR inputs at a low and distorted level.

I do not have a MJ3 but have several Schiit products with switchable gain stages and/or Standby buttons. They can take close to 1 minute to stabilize the stage when switching. Some faster.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 12:07 PM Post #133,825 of 151,315
What's your budget?
$798.00 :wink:
I'm aware of the SU-6 and U18 DDC's (shout out to the U18 being SLASHED in initial MSRP basically in half holy smokes just saw its $418)
But I am also a slave to the looks, utility, measurements, and all-in-one nature of that particular red box. They should be ramping up production Jan 24* last rumor I heard. I'll be running network to 2-channel. All of this will have to wait until August/September 24 unfortunately as I'm in the process of moving cross country.

For simplicity streaming, I've also set my mom up with a Wiim Pro+ to her Sevens so she can use Alexa :beerchug: There's many ways to skin this cat for all price-points.

Last edited:
Dec 23, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #133,826 of 151,315
Maybe... what Jason couldn't talk about was... something really hot 'n bright.

P52.jpg

The 845 amp of our dreams. 25W set with 1200+ volts on the plate. 2000 kelvin thoriated tungsten filament for lighting the darkness between our ears. New production tubes available. Just trade-in your yiggy wife car. :ksc75smile:
You, sir, are a man with wisdom and an obviously pedigreed upbringing.

That might be a bit of overkill for a headphone amp, but then overkill itself is just a vague and unproven concept when it comes to audio. :smile:

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:18 PM Post #133,827 of 151,315
122323santa.jpg
Surely, everyone here is on the Nice List...right?
Merry Christmas to all, and to all Good Schiit!
Hilarious. That sign is sitting on my sub. Happy Christmas!

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #133,828 of 151,315

In regards to Yggdrasil:

In regards to MJ3:

Yggy issue => sounds like a muting relay problem easy fix with service.

Does the MJ3 convert SE to XLR out while XLR is just balanced in / balanced out? Or will SE remain SE throughout and only present at the 1/4" output & SE pre-out?

Wondering if at that junction where SE to XLR conversion might happen there may be cross-talk at a low level that presents at the XLR output... So try that experiment again but move your headphones to the SE output with XLR input and the source switch to SE.

As for MJ3 (1) I would imagine there are units that also "pop" more or less when throwing Push-Pull/Single Ended modes back and forth. The unit at the Schiitr, fortunately did not make any jarring pops. My Piety makes a scarier noise with anything plugged up while switching gain modes (particularly IEM's and yes, I pause the source. Still POPS going Low to High).

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:22 PM Post #133,829 of 151,315
Question, I have tons of USB C to the normal USB A to connect my Schiit stuff via the USB C ports....
On a new Dell AIO just got there is one USB C port...used for phone attach and charging etc.

Question should I be able to get a USB-C to USB-C cable and attach a Schiit Modius E dac to it and be recognized and function?

If thats true then what type of USB C cable should I get...on Amazon etc many cables UBS c that tout working with fast chargers etc and some state these
dont work for audio only phone charging...

So looking for the correct USB C to USB C cable for this use case.

Help!
Thanks
Alex
As others have mentioned stay away from charging only cables. The easy way to select cable with usb c connectors on both ends is to search for USB4 or Thunderbolt 4 cables.

Dec 23, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #133,830 of 151,315
Yggy issue => sounds like a muting relay problem easy fix with service.

Does the MJ3 convert SE to XLR out while XLR is just balanced in / balanced out? Or will SE remain SE throughout and only present at the 1/4" output & SE pre-out?

Wondering if at that junction where SE to XLR conversion might happen there may be cross-talk at a low level that presents at the XLR output... So try that experiment again but move your headphones to the SE output with XLR input and the source switch to SE.

As for MJ3 (1) I would imagine there are units that also "pop" more or less when throwing Push-Pull/Single Ended modes back and forth. The unit at the Schiitr, fortunately did not make any jarring pops. My Piety makes a scarier noise with anything plugged up while switching gain modes (particularly IEM's and yes, I pause the source. Still POPS going Low to High).
Yeah thats what I figured with the Yggy.

The MJ3 crosstalk thing still occurs with the SE output as you've described. Thanks to my hart audio cable it was easy to test out. And yes my MJ3 makes quite a jarring pop when switching between SE and push-pull, but I always assumed that was normal, and tend to unplug my headphones before making the switch.

Who knows, time to stop worrying. Sent support another form about the MJ3 and all will be well soon enough! Thank you!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back