Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 22, 2023 at 7:00 PM Post #133,726 of 154,174
A lot of people think a lot of things…

And you may be right. You made me look again. I made many changes recently and at one point I thought AES into Yggy would be as good or better. It’s hard to do these tests. I found a way and using remotes from the listening position the same source sent to Yggy via Unison or AES, the Unison source had a better background, separation and stage.

Once again the local philosopher dominates.

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:01 PM Post #133,727 of 154,174
I don’t mean to get salty, but I’d krill for some plankton right now!
504EB885-51D3-4E72-AEFE-B284F2928490.gif

Hahaha, seemed appropriate. Rimshot

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 7:14 PM Post #133,728 of 154,174
Is it actually popular? I've seen Holo Red mentioned on SBAF, but it seems very niche even on that forum.
It is popular in high end. Because at that level DDC makes more difference.

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:18 PM Post #133,729 of 154,174
I think there actually is a gap in the tubed phono preamp market. I've had quite a number of phono preamps pass through my hands over the years -- most tubed (surprise, surprise) but a few solid-state ones too. From what I've heard (and this is just my experience, so take it FWIW), the truly TOTL tube units that sound really good are very expensive. Very. And the tube units that are relatively inexpensive don't sound very good. If Jason positions this thing in the TOTL category and then sells it at a Schiit price, the demand could be surprising. I have no doubt that Jason could engineer *THE* TOTL tube phono stage if that's what he wanted to do, cost be damned. But that's not very Schiit-like. What I'm really interested in is how far he can take this thing at a price that, while possibly expensive relative to most Schiit gear, might be a bargain in the tube phono market at the $2k price he hinted.
Valhalla3, tube phono pre-amp, things Jason can't talk about...sounds like a tube power amp is coming into view, even a flea-watt would be welcome.

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:23 PM Post #133,730 of 154,174
What is "FR"...?
I guess I stand corrected. I thought it was F'in Raucous, which is the exact ticket for Marilyn Manson and other fine music. 🤣

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:28 PM Post #133,731 of 154,174
Valhalla3, tube phono pre-amp, things Jason can't talk about...sounds like a tube power amp is coming into view, even a flea-watt would be welcome.
Like a 2A3 based HP amp? I suppose there's never any harm in dreaming. 🤣

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:33 PM Post #133,732 of 154,174
And you may be right. You made me look again. I made many changes recently and at one point I thought AES into Yggy would be as good or better. It’s hard to do these tests. I found a way and using remotes from the listening position the same source sent to Yggy via Unison or AES, the Unison source had a better background, separation and stage.

Totally agree!

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:37 PM Post #133,733 of 154,174

And… I noticed that on the @ArmchairPhilosopher post smashing my post, @Jason Stoddard (who rarely opines on sound quality perception) agreed with a ‘Like’. That is significant!

And they are right. Out of the Urd comparing Unison Out to AES, Unison is crystalline clear with better separation. AES is more congested, perhaps a bit fuller in the sense that the background mixes up a bit - some may prefer that, a matter of taste/perception.

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 7:44 PM Post #133,734 of 154,174
Who in their right mind is going to spend $$$ on a cosmetic silver lid just because it wasn't an option on the first run MJ3?!!

Me, that's who :)

I did a thing today.

New lid day!!
new-lid-day.jpg

It ain't black on the underside ...
underside-is-not-black.jpg

Presto, chango, swapperoo!
mj3-swapperoo.jpg

Meet the updated stack (Gungnir A1 MB, MJ3 clad in silver, FV clad in silver)
gungnir-mj3-fv-stack.jpg

Does it sound better? ... Nope!
Does it look better? ... To me, very much!!
Does it make me happy? ... Oh hell yeah!!!

Now the wait for Gungnir 2 begins ...
:beerchug:
* This is a crosspost from the Schiit Mjolnir 3 - Impressions Thread
Nice stack!

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #133,735 of 154,174
And… I noticed that on the @ArmchairPhilosopher post smashing my post, @Jason Stoddard (who rarely opines on sound quality perception) agreed with a ‘Like’. That is significant!

And they are right. Out of he Urd comparing Unison Out to AES, Unison is crystalline clear with better separation. AES is more congested, perhaps a bit fuller in the sense that the background mixes up a bit - some may prefer that, a matter of taste/perception.
Unison USB is pretty much the be-all end-all. In my opinion. In Mike's opinion. In Dave's opinion. In Ivana's opinion.

But we're biased.

99.9988% of (utterly meaningless) online arguments result from omitting the "IMO," and declaring every subjective fact as Ultimate Truth for All.

It is popular in high end. Because at that level DDC makes more difference.
Or more money = more justification needed. Humans are not rational. We're rationalizing. Big difference.

Listening to Magni Unity right now. Internal DAC. No need for anything else. Probably kills 99.9988% of "uber high end" tweakophile nervosa stuff.

(IMO, of course.)

Last edited:
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Dec 22, 2023 at 7:52 PM Post #133,736 of 154,174
I think a DDC or Digital Preamp in an Bifrost sized case would be nice.

I would love to have a nice Schiit box that converts a Toslink/USB/Coax input to Unison USB or Coax or AES output...

I think a Schiit DDC would make a lot sense if you took a wider view of a DDC as more then just a melding of an EITR and URDs switcher, and looked at it from the viewpoint of gamers and people using their schiit with a tv/bluray/console setup. Then a Digital Preamp or DDC makes alot of sense.

Also, +1 on asking for a schiit power amp that has mono Gjallarhorn type power levels and has chokes...

Aegir 2 seems very interesting...

@Jason Stoddard if Aegir 2 has Halo, but Halo only works on Midgard with the balanced output, does that mean Aegir 2 will have balanced output in stereo configuration, to accommodate Halo?

Last edited:
Dec 22, 2023 at 7:54 PM Post #133,738 of 154,174
Love to know more about the Allo....?
Okay... for some reason... I hear @golfbravobravo 's voice... the same way it's said in the movie Starship Troopers. One of those disturbing fake-in-movie ads about joining space infantry.

I'm sure you are a decent person, sir. It's me. Here on the North Bruce Peninsula... on the 55th degree latitude. :flag_ca:

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:57 PM Post #133,739 of 154,174
Listening to Magni Unity right now. Internal DAC. No need for anything else. Probably kills 99.9988% of "uber high end" tweakophile nervosa stuff.
I spent some time yesterday comparing the internal ES9028 DAC in Asgard 3 with my Denafrips Ares II. The Ares went back in the box and into the closet. Nothing wrong with the Ares but I prefer the internal DAC and I like having one less box on my very small desk. Nicely done pairing it with the DC Aeon RT.

Dec 22, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #133,740 of 154,174
@Jason Stoddard if Aegir 2 has Halo, but Halo only works on Midgard with the balanced output, does that mean Aegir 2 will have balanced output in stereo configuration, to accommodate Halo?
Halo doesn't require balanced.

Separate ground returns are required. Which isn't a problem on a speaker power amp.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back