Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 26, 2023 at 3:01 PM Post #131,296 of 155,191
Have you asked them what they want? Perhaps there are wishes you are not aware of... :)

Yes, I did! That's where most of the requirements and wish list items came from in the first place. I am not trying to put my preferences on them, if I was, they'd want speakers and a stereo component system in their dorm like I had. :clap:

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:14 PM Post #131,297 of 155,191
Ummm not in name... but you do know that the great Boeing engineering company was ruined by the MDC takeover/merger - hence the Max crisis
I was working at MDC in Southern California at the time of the merger. I was not a fan of MDC becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of Boeing. I traveled to Renton not long after the merger. It was great to hear how proud a manager was watching Boeing F-18s at an airshow. I lost a lot of respect right there for the new overlords. Boeing was heavily burdened with processes, “the process was the product“ was our introduction to Boeing. Boeing bureaucracy hindered KC-46 development. Boeing also spent megabucks to thwart innovation that originated from MDC.

Blame the ruin on the Boards of each company and you know the Execs made tidy sums from the merger.

I do look forward to JetZero proving Boeing wrong.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 3:28 PM Post #131,298 of 155,191
I was working at MDC in Southern California at the time of the merger. I was not a fan of MDC becoming a wholly owned subsidiary of Boeing. I traveled to Renton not long after the merger. It was great to hear how proud a manager was watching Boeing F-18s at an airshow. I lost a lot of respect right there for the new overlords. Boeing was heavily burdened with processes, “the process was the product“ was our introduction to Boeing. Boeing bureaucracy hindered KC-46 development. Boeing also spent megabucks to thwart innovation that originated from MDC.

I look forward to JetZero proving Boeing wrong.
Fascinating. I had friends and family working at Boeing, who share your feelings - in reverse. About the MDC takeover of Boeing. They complained about the disregard of sound engineering practices by MDC middle managers. Would have been better to just leave MDC alone. But executive ambitions often turn things to schiit... :wink:

Nov 26, 2023 at 3:42 PM Post #131,299 of 155,191
Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 4:20 PM Post #131,300 of 155,191
I wholly agree! :D
I picked up my first one when I saw one under B-stock, and then a few months later i snagged my 2nd one when another one showed up under B-stock. I have been using them to power Klipsch RP-600m speakers and a pair of hard to drive headphones. They are a really good deal at their price point.

Nov 26, 2023 at 4:38 PM Post #131,301 of 155,191
I will design and build my own DAC from scratch just to find out for sure how these things work, not just in theory.
So, stay tuned.
My deadline is in 2051.
Probably literally… 😳
I'm vaguely actually considering to do this. I may be very, very, crazy.

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:08 PM Post #131,302 of 155,191
I will design and build my own DAC from scratch just to find out for sure how these things work, not just in theory.
So, stay tuned.
My deadline is in 2051.
Probably literally… 😳
I did this in an engineering class in about 1978. It was not optimized in either the time or the frequency domain, it was for translating slowly changing signals (we had previously built an ADC). So like "Turn this thermocouple output into digital (last week). Now turn it back into analog." I used an 8-bit Motorola chip. Actually everything was optimized to "get the darn thing built so Mike can go home." Not the Mike you all might be thinking of.

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #131,303 of 155,191
I'm vaguely actually considering to do this. I may be very, very, crazy.
I wasn't kidding about any of it. I will build a DAC from scratch eventually. It will probably sound like Louisiana swamp a$$ on a particularly muggy day, but it'll still be worthwhile for me just because that's how I learn stuff the fastest.
I also wasn't kidding about the deadline being 2051, because I have about half a dozen or so other (proverbial) Mount Everests to climb before I can get started on the DAC.
So, don't hold your breath, it'll be a while.
But it'll happen.

Nov 26, 2023 at 5:52 PM Post #131,304 of 155,191

Blame the ruin on the Boards of each company and you know the Execs made tidy sums from the merger.

I do look forward to JetZero proving Boeing wrong.
I've been loosely following the blended wing body concept for several years now.

My only technical concerns are that it's a slightly challenging shape to pressurize and ice buildup on the very large flat surface forward of the engine intakes could be very difficult to mitigate.

From an aerodynamic perspective I really like it.

It would be great if JetZero could bring the aircraft to market before I retire, although that's highly unlikely as I've only got 7 years left.

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:05 PM Post #131,305 of 155,191
Just pulled the trigger on a Modi Multibit after many months of nervousa about it.

Traveling all next week, so should be here when I get back. Will slide into the main system for testing, and the Modi 3e will take over home office duty.

Part of me wishes I’d been quick enough to nab one of the closeout Bitfrosts over the holiday, but que sera!
¡Lo que será, será! Enjoy that MM2, brother!

Nov 26, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #131,306 of 155,191
I've been loosely following the blended wing body concept for several years now.

My only technical concerns are that it's a slightly challenging shape to pressurize and ice buildup on the very large flat surface forward of the engine intakes could be very difficult to mitigate.

It would be great if JetZero could bring the aircraft to market before I retire, although that's highly unlikely as I've only got 7 years left.
The concept has been under development by the principals of JetZero for decades, including wind tunnel and flying scale models. I worked adjacent to them at DAC/MDC. Initial concepts using metallics were estimating 25% fuel efficiency improvements over conventional tube and wing configurations which is revolutionary given tenths of a percent improvements are significant. There is at least one AIAA paper by the principals, I’ll see if I can find it.

Last edited:
Nov 26, 2023 at 6:42 PM Post #131,307 of 155,191
I wasn't kidding about any of it. I will build a DAC from scratch eventually. It will probably sound like Louisiana swamp a$$ on a particularly muggy day, but it'll still be worthwhile for me just because that's how I learn stuff the fastest.
I also wasn't kidding about the deadline being 2051, because I have about half a dozen or so other (proverbial) Mount Everests to climb before I can get started on the DAC.
So, don't hold your breath, it'll be a while.
But it'll happen.
Maybe if less time was spent writing dissertations on Head-Fi🤔, more time could be spent on DAC building? Just a thought 🙊🤣😂

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:39 PM Post #131,308 of 155,191
Nov 26, 2023 at 7:45 PM Post #131,309 of 155,191

Is this the form where the most outboard passengers are in for a rollercoaster ride when you exceed a snail’s roll rate?

Nov 26, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #131,310 of 155,191
Certain stylistic cues, such as the overuse of summary paragraphs ("All in all...", "Overall...") smell a bit generative-AI-ish....

The entire "review" is drivel. I can summarize it: bass is good, midrange is good, treble is good, imaging is good, separation is good, staging is good. I learned literally nothing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back