Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 27, 2023 at 3:39 AM Post #131,326 of 153,933
With the sketchy availability, insane pricing, and controversial provenance of many tubes, many, many more people are just taking a pass on the whole thing. Ask anyone who makes tube products about how they're doing...and about the hate mail they get. This is the reality.

However, things are changing--availability is better and pricing is coming down. People still have to vote with their wallets on whether they want to buy Russian tubes (ironically, ours come from our Ukraine distributor--how's that for a real-world mindblower?) But the reality is, tubes come from Russia or China. Take your pick. Yeah, JJ is there somewhere as well, but their availability has been, ah, very limited.

And no, I'm not talking the ubersphere of NOS unobtainium investment-grade stock or super-limited new-production bespoke craziness. Because that's not what people start with. And it's not something we can offer.
Indeed !!

Speaking for myself, my MJOLNIR 2 will probably be my last tube amp, for as long as it lasts (nearly 7 years already). I have 3 pairs of long-life NOS tubes left, so that should see me through.

Quality, relatively affordable SS amps are so good now !

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 6:19 AM Post #131,327 of 153,933
One does not wish to face the moose-mounted-Mountie's wrath.

And, I was in a fast-food chain called Red Robin and they had something they called Poutine on the menu. It wasn't.
A coda to the brief Poutine thread. This popped up on one of my feeds:

1701083893440.jpeg

Nov 27, 2023 at 7:05 AM Post #131,328 of 153,933
I update it soon, will need to have something to do while on recovery after the surgery this week.
I have a few topics to add

1701063902229.png

Yes, I know cardboard is probably there already but it deserves more *

New version coming soon, entries now being accepted for the review process.

* Edit : How wrong I have been, Cardboard is not on the SineWave, it's no wonder @bcowen is not talking to me.

Do you think that the Schiit Sine Wave should note the introduction of some of their new products?

After the inclusion of more cats, of course.

Best wishes for your speedy recovery.

:beerchug:
JC

Nov 27, 2023 at 8:14 AM Post #131,330 of 153,933
I have the same amp, with the upgraded non-switching wall wart.

I figured I'd have to place this in my museum of nobody cares about these antiquated electronics; (or just toss it).

Is there any commercial appeal of this renewed amp to justify the cost/time?
To re-do this would be hard...the 2604B is no longer made.
Genuine ops are hard to find. Lots of fakes.
Even the upgrade parts available with some hunting are limited in the size and wattages.
Spec wise many amps to day exceed its dated specs.
But that said IMO its still a really decent amp that in a listening session often amazes me how well it
works with my can especially the ZMF's....

You probably get more for you money with the new Magni Unity...still need to get one here to contrast.

Alex
:>)

Nov 27, 2023 at 10:59 AM Post #131,331 of 153,933
I wasn't kidding about any of it. I will build a DAC from scratch eventually. It will probably sound like Louisiana swamp a$$ on a particularly muggy day, but it'll still be worthwhile for me just because that's how I learn stuff the fastest.
I also wasn't kidding about the deadline being 2051, because I have about half a dozen or so other (proverbial) Mount Everests to climb before I can get started on the DAC.
So, don't hold your breath, it'll be a while.
But it'll happen.
The more I learn about you, the more you remind me of me.

Nov 27, 2023 at 11:55 AM Post #131,332 of 153,933

I bet for the comfort of window seat pax in a blended wing design, you need roll rate limiter in addition to bank limiter, but who am I…

I suspect that there are no aerobatic pilots here :))

If a maneuver is performed (properly / well) at 1G passengers have no idea of the attitude of the aircraft - unless they happen to be looking outside and have a visual reference:

Nov 27, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #131,334 of 153,933
Nov 27, 2023 at 1:31 PM Post #131,335 of 153,933
My kid is going off to college next fall and they are a music fan. They have close to perfect pitch and quite sensitive hearing. I would like to get them a set of headphones as a graduation gift from High School, with a budget in the $500-$750 range.
Ask what she wants.
Then, I would give her a pair of cans that has minimal chance of forking up her perfect pitch (how did you measure that?) and sensitive hearing for that is a big risk with brutal loud and closed headphones. Especially when under 25 years old, chances of hearing damage are bigger with loud music than daily "polishing of the knob" from which, as we all know, one ends up stone deaf and blind.

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 1:59 PM Post #131,336 of 153,933
Yes, it does read a bit oddly. No author named either.

There was some discussion here earlier regarding the differences between the A1 and A2 boards. The “review” did touch on these differences, so I decided to post the link here.

Yeah, that was definitely an AI-generated 'review'. Not only is there some oddball wording and obvious mistakes in it, one of the giveaways was that about halfway through it, the 'author' mistakenly refers to the Yggy+ as 'Analog 2' multiple times, then mysteriously starts referring to it as 'Yggdrasil' again.

But honestly, it's pretty scary how good AI is getting, and it will only continue to improve (mainly by teaching itself).:frowning:

The growing unease about where things are currently headed always reminds me of the great song 'The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades)' by Timbuk 3. Kind of like how the super-upbeat song 'There She Goes' is actually about heroin addiction, 'The Future's So Bright' was written in an intentionally ironic way, so the fact that it's actually about dealing with the looming threat of a nuclear holocaust could be hidden inside a catchy pop song. :fire::radioactive::sunglasses:

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2023 at 2:03 PM Post #131,337 of 153,933
I suspect that there are no aerobatic pilots here :))
I've never competed but I've got 20-30 hours of acro time mostly in Citabria/Decathlon but there's 10 or so hours of Pitts time and a bit in a Skybolt.

Nov 27, 2023 at 4:48 PM Post #131,338 of 153,933
I've never competed but I've got 20-30 hours of acro time mostly in Citabria/Decathlon but there's 10 or so hours of Pitts time and a bit in a Skybolt.
When I was 12 years old, in the 1980s, I was permitted to take the controls of the Goodyear Blimp, while flying out of Pompano Beach, FL.

You can’t make Schiit like that up, so you know it’s true.

Nov 27, 2023 at 5:10 PM Post #131,340 of 153,933
Yeah, that was definitely an AI-generated 'review'. Not only is there some oddball wording and obvious mistakes in it, one of the giveaways was that about halfway through it, the 'author' mistakenly refers to the Yggy+ as 'Analog 2' multiple times, then mysteriously starts referring to it as 'Yggdrasil' again.

But honestly, it's pretty scary how good AI is getting, and it will only continue to improve (mainly by teaching itself).:frowning:

The growing unease about where things are currently headed always reminds me of the great song 'The Future's So Bright (I Gotta Wear Shades)' by Timbuk 3. Kind of like how the super-upbeat song 'There She Goes' is actually about heroin addiction, 'The Future's So Bright' was written in an intentionally ironic way, so the fact that it's actually about dealing with the looming threat of a nuclear holocaust could be hidden inside a catchy pop song. :fire::radioactive::sunglasses:

And it’ll only get worse.

I’ve read many reviews that just repeat information from the manufacturer website over and over. Now with AI, I’m afraid the first 20 results will be AI “reviews” leaving legit reviewers lost in the shuffle.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back