Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 18, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #130,666 of 150,257
Freya output is not designed to drive headphones, it is not designed to deliver any power. Would it work? maybe, but with distortion.
With a -3dB point of 6kHz, it absolutely will not work. Unless you like listening to supertweeters (with no supporting full range driver). The Aeon RT is 12 ohms.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 18, 2023 at 4:08 PM Post #130,667 of 150,257
Freya output is not designed to drive headphones, it is not designed to deliver any power. Would it work? maybe, but with distortion.
1700341732477.png

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:24 PM Post #130,668 of 150,257
Random Access Memories...

...by Daft Punk is so much richer than I've ever imagined: Qobuz 88.2/24 -Cardas Clear USB-> OG Yggy A2 -balanced-> OG Jot -balanced-> HD600s. The interplay between the sonic elements of the song, and the timing, is just ennui-inducing... and these relatively cheap, 15 year old HPs are sounding better than ever. They are quite broken in. <g>

(Is "ennui-inducing" a thing? It sounded good as I was typing it.)

I know that earlier on, when I brought OG Yggy upstairs, I asked a moot question - will OG Yggy sound better than the True Multibit Card in Jot? @ArmchairPhilosopher said something like "Shaaa...are you really asking that question?" (he didn't really say "Shaaa" but I couldn't help myself)

And boy, was he correct. I'm in recovery mode this week, so there are absolutely zero expectations of me for the next... well, I don't go back to work until 27 November. So I've just been listening to Qobuz through the office rig while I catch up on emails and support requests. And now that I'm hearing OG A2 in a new light, I am even more impressed than I've ever been.

If you've ever wanted one of the AD-based Yggys, please don't hesitate. Take out a freaking loan if you have to... this thing is solid gold. The clarity, the depth, the timing. The freaking timing is just the most stellar attribute of this DAC. MiB has all of the same attributes, including (what I hear as) a more open top-end... but as Daft Punk's "Motherboard" is blowing my mind, I gotta say run, don't walk. The old style case is my favorite, also - it's a classically-built tank.

p.s. - assuming that Jason will be able to build some AD cards for Yggy+, get one of those, too. I just love the fact that I can have both OG and MiB in separate boxes so that I can enjoy them side by side.

p.p.s. - when Jason alludes to a possible "Yggy Ultimate", I can't even imagine how this can be a lot better, but - I've been fooled before. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

p.p.p.s - "Doin' it Right" has a mesmerizing beat... wow. That timing thing... without a $30K external atomic clock. Who wudda thot?

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:36 PM Post #130,670 of 150,257
Wow, "Joan of Arc" is a lovely song, even with Leonard's flat tone. <g>
Jennifer Warnes makes up for it, for sure... and it is his song, so.. kudos, Leonard.
You were a force to be reckoned with.
If I could write songs like he did, I'd be forgiven for trying to sing them, too.. and I still like him better than Dylan. <g>

p.s. - YMMV

Nov 18, 2023 at 4:57 PM Post #130,672 of 150,257
This is the current iteration of my Schiit stack beside my reading chair. The Tascam CD player arrived on Friday and has a sticker dating it to 1993. The only thing I can't get to work is the RCA S/PDIF, but I'm not sad, as this will actually accelerate my plans on updating my DAC. Let me explain.

The CD player is connected via XLR to the Freya N, which is connected via XLR to the Lokius, then RCA to the Asgard 3. While the little very inexpensive S.M.S.L DAC is crisp and has a plethora of inputs and has XLR out, it's...clinical, a bit dry. The measurement fanbois at The Site That Shall Go Nameless™️ would appreciate it. The DAC in the Tascam is a Philips SAA7350 (TDA1547) and in comparison to the little DAC, it has a slightly warmer sound, a muscular yet clear botttom end, and detailed mids and highs. The Lokius lets me enhance the tones nicely. I listened to some live Neil Young and Crazy Horse, Bob Dylan (Time Out of Mind, produced by Daniel Lanois), a Canadian double-CD tribute to Neil Young, etc. and I could have stayed up until sunrise listening. The audio chain was <chef's kiss>.

So I am kicking myself somewhat (a lot, actually) for letting that OG YGGY deal pass by. It's sold now, but in the new year I will be actively looking at replacing the current DAC with something end-game and likely Schiity. There's nothing wrong with these inexpensive DACS, but I've now heard better, or at least something that sounds subjectively better to my imperfect hearing and tastes. The CD collection has been dusted off from over 1.5 decades in a storage closet and I'm hearing them like it's the first time with them. I agree with the folks who've been saying CDs sound better than streaming.

Edit: The RCA S/PDIF does work. On a hunch, I tested it with another DAC. On the main DAC, I can also hear the audio if I plug my headphones directly into it and set output for the phones. It just won't output through the DAC's XLR cables, even if I set the outputs in the menu to COAX or All. Very odd, but at least I've shown that the S/PDIF does work and I've narrowed down the problem. If I can't get it to work, I'll reach out to the DAC's tech support.

1700343011276.png

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 5:12 PM Post #130,674 of 150,257
How about a Freya+ driving a Magni+? Would that provide sufficient volume?
Any DAC directly into the Magni+ and you are good to go. No Freya is required.

Nov 18, 2023 at 5:22 PM Post #130,675 of 150,257
Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 5:34 PM Post #130,676 of 150,257
Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Nov 18, 2023 at 5:54 PM Post #130,677 of 150,257
And boy, was he correct.
Make sure that this @ArmchairPhilosopher guy doesn't read that bit. His head's already too far up his own derrière as it is.

The old style case is my favorite, also - it's a classically-built tank.
Tellme'boutit. I get why the new case is better in almost all regards, but I've got a real soft spot for the old one.

Also: Those silver Mjolnir 2s and Gungnirs? An early Dieter Rams-level of minimalist magnificence, and seemingly without even trying. Perfect proportions, perfect shadow gaps when stacked, perfect vertical alignment of controls and LEDs across both devices… And that perfectly dimensioned and machined bevel around Mjolnir 2's tube openings is one of my favorite design details on ANY tangible item that I have ever seen in person. They could both sound like ass and I'd still want to have them sit on my desk at all times just so that I could look at them.
Yeah, yeah, I know! I'm yet another Schiit-head gushing over some pointless detail or another, blah blah blah. But I said it, I meant it, and I'm here to represent it: Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir are two truly timeless pieces of industrial design that belong in the Smithsonian right next to the Braun T3, the Lamy 2000, and the Eames Lounge Chair. Fight me.

Last edited:
Nov 18, 2023 at 7:02 PM Post #130,678 of 150,257
I just read the Earfidelity review of the Midbard.
Decent write up.
The one thing I dont agree with is the issue of bending pins with the XLR Halo "port"...
Mine is solid no play i it and has worked with over many many insertions in and out..
Alex
Good for you man!
It's not pins, but the whole socket. Guess I was unlucky and got a faulty socket.
Either way, thanks for a good word on the review :)

Nov 18, 2023 at 8:25 PM Post #130,680 of 150,257
But I said it, I meant it, and I'm here to represent it: Mjolnir 2 and Gungnir are two truly timeless pieces of industrial design that belong in the Smithsonian right next to the Braun T3, the Lamy 2000, and the Eames Lounge Chair. Fight me.
I won't fight you on that one - I'll fight with you! My OG Mjolnir is one of the most beautifully designed items I've ever had in my possession. "Dieter Rams would approve" was one of my first thoughts when unboxing it way back when... when this thread was a new thing.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back