Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 3, 2024 at 6:39 AM Post #150,258 of 152,181
Tonight's tipple....

Launcenton Malt.jpg

May 3, 2024 at 8:05 AM Post #150,259 of 152,181
Any expertise with a Bluesound Node? I was eying one of those until you posted this...
I've got two of them and like them very much. I use them as Roon endpoints and my wife uses them for Spotify connect. I'll answer any questions that I can.

May 3, 2024 at 8:10 AM Post #150,260 of 152,181
Duetta Sigs set up the way they should be.
Lots of space around them.

Wish I could hear 'em. Sigh.
Any/all Schiit heads are more than welcome to visit for a listening session; just shout

May 3, 2024 at 8:19 AM Post #150,261 of 152,181
The simplest, but not cheapest option (I own one for one of my systems): https://ifi-audio.com/products/zen-stream/

Cheaper alternatives will likely need more tinkering. Very few (if any) that are cheaper provide direct Qobuz access. Happy to answer questions & suggest alternatives, I've used many different digital setups over the last decade.
Thanks, my initial research had put that on the list. So it’d be a “streamer” and then a “service” (e.g. Qobux, Roon, etc.)? Anything else?

May 3, 2024 at 8:22 AM Post #150,262 of 152,181
Temporary set up. This is the stuff!

IMG_4805.jpeg
Nice! I like those record “boxes” (sacks?). Do you have vibrations with your TT on that kinda table?

May 3, 2024 at 9:07 AM Post #150,263 of 152,181
Tonight's Jazz recommendation (w/ a big band flavor)...

Screenshot 2024-04-25 182141.jpg
I love trombone music and big band (my favorite trombonist is Wycliffe "Pinecone" Gordon) so thanks for this idea. It led directly to the following album, on which Jennifer also plays. Happy listening!

Darcy James Argue - Dynamic Maximum Tension.png
:)

May 3, 2024 at 9:17 AM Post #150,264 of 152,181
Thanks, my initial research had put that on the list. So it’d be a “streamer” and then a “service” (e.g. Qobux, Roon, etc.)? Anything else?
I'm running Roon because I wanted Qobuz and my old JRiver didn't support Qobuz. I just use a Mac as my host for Roon, then USB into Unison on the Gungnir. The Roon / Qobuz combination works well for me and the SQ coming from Qobuz is great. YMMV as always.

May 3, 2024 at 9:21 AM Post #150,265 of 152,181
I've got two of them and like them very much. I use them as Roon endpoints and my wife uses them for Spotify connect. I'll answer any questions that I can.
Mostly just wondering how Qobuz works with it, as that's why I would buy one.

I have an older PC of mine that I've repurposed for use as a digital media player and more recently to play Qobuz via wifi, but it's very old and doesn't like to come out of sleep. So, that's gotten annoying enough that I'm looking into a newer alternative.

May 3, 2024 at 9:34 AM Post #150,266 of 152,181

But, Yggy is so impressing me in that realm, that I’m now finally likely to get into some type of streaming, because everyone else WITH that experience says that Yggy does it’s magics there as well…

HTH
My Bryston BDP-1 and Gumby got along great over BNC. Dunno if Bryston has kept up....

May 3, 2024 at 9:41 AM Post #150,267 of 152,181
Nice! I like those record “boxes” (sacks?). Do you have vibrations with your TT on that kinda table?
No vibe issues due to no speakers hooked up yet. Everything shown here will be wall mounted eventually. Still building the room out.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 9:52 AM Post #150,268 of 152,181
I think "a streamer" and a "stream". Goes more with the Schiit vibe :wink:

Lots of streamers out there but I don't/rarely use streams, just a local collection of ripped CDs/LPs.

Roon isn't a stream, it's more of a meta-stream. If it supports the stream you like then it's fantastic, esp if you have local files. For local files, for one like myself who does not want to spend a lot of time organizing files, it's also fantastic if not the best.

Some streamers I've had:
  • Allo MiniBoss Player (hate it, you want it?),
  • SoTM (nice, small very good quality), USB before Schiit made Unison so switch to..
  • Bryston BDP-1, excellent with limited functionality.
  • Sonos (never worked properly for me), can send you one or more to try.
  • Muzo Cobblestone (which is why I would never, even for a moment, consider a Wiim). I could send you one or more to try :wink:
  • Roku has some streams in it.
  • Linn, which is what I've settled on because it's a streamer/DAC and I'm downsizing (ha!). Crazy prices new, used not so crazy.
  • HiFi Rose, which is a favorite but pricey.
Pricing aside, I'd recommend, in order, Linn, HiFiRose, SoTM. Since you don't need a DAC, maybe I'd scratch the Linn and HiFi and say BDP and SoTM.

P.S. One thing to add as a consideration, if you like Roon, is the roon-tested/roon-certified feature. The latter means that Roon can completely control the device (which is how I use my streamers) and the former means Roon can use the device as a player, with limited functionality, which generally works fine.

Many streamers come with their own software/remote and many of those suck so it's more than just a hardware question. Which is why Schiit doesn't make a streamer and don't ask them to.

Last edited:
May 3, 2024 at 9:55 AM Post #150,269 of 152,181
Mostly just wondering how Qobuz works with it, as that's why I would buy one.

I have an older PC of mine that I've repurposed for use as a digital media player and more recently to play Qobuz via wifi, but it's very old and doesn't like to come out of sleep. So, that's gotten annoying enough that I'm looking into a newer alternative.
I have one that I use as a Roon endpoint. However, you can link Qobuz directly to their BluOS app. Into either a Chord Mojo 2 or a Bifrost 2/64 over USB, it sounds very good.

May 3, 2024 at 10:02 AM Post #150,270 of 152,181
No vibe issues due to no speakers hooked up yet. Everything shown here will be wall mounted eventually. Still building the room out.
Wall mounting can be especially good for a turntable in my experience.😜 I have record albums stored in a cabinet in my shop and might bring out 30 or so depending on my listening mood. I would like to expand to another of these record boxes for a larger on hand selection.IMG_5963.jpeg
The box is 3/4” dark birdseye maple. For turntable stability, everything is on a tiled floor, solid cherry shelves with copper supports. Bill likes the sound of maple but cherry is fine for me. 🤪 I also do open shelving for heat dissipation for tube amps and easy access since on a given day I might change out DAC’s or headphone amps.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back