Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:53 PM Post #130,171 of 152,846
What if they changed the tubes on the Folkvangr and made the Folkvangr N? With Noval tubes or a different tube that is more gettable? 🤷‍♂️
6n6p are noval tubes.
And good, affordable power tubes that would fit the specs for Folkvangr without having to redesign half the thing aren't all that easy to get, new or NOS.
Happy to be proven wrong, though.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:56 PM Post #130,172 of 152,846
6n6p are noval tubes.
And good, affordable power tubes that would fit the specs for Folkvangr without having to redesign half the thing aren't all that easy to get, new or NOS.
Happy to be proven wrong, though.
Doh! I’m still tube noob, lol 🤦‍♂️

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:59 PM Post #130,173 of 152,846
You gotta listen to Sara K. One of the best recordings I've ever heard, and I'm trying hard not to be ridiculously effusive right now... <g>
If female, guitar-playing singer-songwriter stuff is your thing and you want to tickle your new Yggy to the extreme in the detail, timbre, placement/staging, and imaging department, try the track The Panther on Jennifer Warnes' album The Well. It's one of my reference tracks for precisely that.
Amber Rubarth's Novocaine on New Green Lines serves a similar purpose.
Also Yosi Horikawa's Starlings on Vapor — but that's an entirely different genre, of course.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:16 PM Post #130,174 of 152,846
IMG_8977.jpeg
Barbra…

Nov 8, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #130,175 of 152,846
If female, guitar-playing singer-songwriter stuff is your thing and you want to tickle your new Yggy to the extreme in the detail, timbre, placement/staging, and imaging department, try the track The Panther on Jennifer Warnes' album The Well. It's one of my reference tracks for precisely that.
Amber Rubarth's Novocaine on New Green Lines serves a similar purpose.
Also Yosi Horikawa's Starlings on Vapor — but that's an entirely different genre, of course.
Great advice. Jennifer Warnes’ recordings are some of my reference vocal recordings. Lights of Lousianne is a good test song also:

IMG_8978.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 5:53 PM Post #130,176 of 152,846
Re Yggy OG I hear statements of bass rich or sharp treble. I am beginning to suspect that it is very much speaker dependent. On large magnepans driven by Tyr the OG is neutral to my ear.

Maggies are very neutral and have a flat frequency response.

Listening to headphones… I only tried my original Grado Signature HP 1000 driven by Kara and their frequency response is nearly the same as the Maggies.

I agree that the OG variant is good with Maggies, but I disagree that Maggies are neutral and have a flat frequency response. I've owned the 1.6QR for 8+ years and they are definitely not neutral. Stereophile agrees:

Mag16fig2.jpg

(source)

See also their LRS measurements:

719MLRSfig2.jpg

(source)

I think the reasons the OG gels so well with Maggies are (1) because despite the above measurements Maggies don't have any real kick and the low/mid emphasis of the OG enhances that a bit and (2) the OG sounds a bit zippier or bright in the highs, which doesn't become fatiguing on the Maggies given they roll off so significantly after 10 kHz. Different story with my Focal Utopia headphones where I think the Yggy OG doesn't work as well given its presentation in the highs. I'm curious to see whether MIB fixes that and is still nice with the Maggies, as I use both in my living room system.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #130,177 of 152,846
I agree that the OG variant is good with Maggies, but I disagree that Maggies are neutral and have a flat frequency response. I've owned the 1.6QR for 8+ years and they are definitely not neutral. Stereophile agrees:

Mag16fig2.jpg

(source)

719MLRSfig2.jpg

(source)

I think the reasons the OG gels so well with Maggies are (1) because despite the above measurements Maggies don't have any real kick and the low/mid emphasis of the OG enhances that a bit and (2) the OG sounds a bit zippier or bright in the highs, which doesn't become fatiguing on the Maggies given they roll off so significantly after 10 kHz. Different story with my Focal Utopia headphones where I think the Yggy OG doesn't work as well given its presentation in the highs. I'm curious to see whether MIB fixes that and is still nice with the Maggies, as I use both in my living room system.
We have to disagree. Perhaps if you listen to large Maggies you will hear differently. :). LRS, .7, 1.6 are just an appetizer.

No rolled down treble (the opposite actually) or lack of true bass. Of course a large room is required - think 20’x30’.

Nov 8, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #130,179 of 152,846
No.
Folkvangr sounds considerably better than it looks.

I don't know if I would wait for a second run to ever happen. A run of Folkvangr burns through a lot of power tube stock. If I remember correctly, part of why Folkvangr exists at all was because Schiit wanted to get "rid" of a decent chunk of the stock they're usually keeping for Valhalla. Short of them lucking into a stash of about a thousand or two of perfectly good NOS 6n6p tubes, I'm not convinced that a second run would make much sense.

But Schiit doesn't always make a lot of sense, so what do I know… ;p

Anyway, I wouldn't wait. Great condition, pre-loved Folkvangrs pop up occasionally on the used gear market. If you're serious about fetching one, I'd set up an eBay alert, or something along those lines.

I doubt that you'll regret getting one.

You can't have mine, though. Only from my cold, dead hands. And even then only under protest. Sorry. 😜
If the Folkvangr was on, those hands wouldn't be quite so cold, even if they were dead. 😆

Nov 8, 2023 at 7:25 PM Post #130,180 of 152,846

Mag16fig2.jpg

(source)

719MLRSfig2.jpg

(source)

We have to disagree. Perhaps if you listen to large Maggies you will hear differently. :). LRS, .7, 1.6 are just an appetizer.

No rolled down treble (the opposite actually) or lack of true bass. Of course a large room is required - think 20’x30’.
You are both correct.

I owned maggies for over a decade (12QR, 1.7, and MMG) I auditioned both the 20.7 and 3.6. All of them were 100% system, room, and positioning dependent. The 20.7were surprisingly neutral in the relative small room they were in. My 1.7 were neutral in my house, but damn near bass cannons in the store. Exact same speakers but totally different sound. The true ribbon maggies had more treble presence than the quasi ribbons. I can understand how the QRs could present as rolled off. My buddy built cables out of thermostat wire. It made the 12QR intolerably bright, but that was the only time I felt that way about them.

Eventually sold it all because I wanted speakers that worked in my room as opposed to building a room for my speakers. But a dialed in Maggie system is sonic nirvana.

Nov 8, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #130,181 of 152,846
Tequila delivers more air while Whiskey offers slight changes in tonality depending on age and barrel. 😏
Mmmm, I love whiskey tones! 😻

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:13 PM Post #130,183 of 152,846
Can I order a black cover for my silver Bifrost 2? Also , is it a pain in the Schiit to deal with the 3 LEDs and the switch?

Interior pics welcome. Thanks!

Edit: Might be interested in trading also.

Email schiit. orders@schiit.com

I ordered a Black Bifrost 2 cover back when MJ3 was released. At the time Jason was standing firm on no silver for MJ3.

It was between 30-40 bucks, not including tax n shipping for a black cover.

Nov 8, 2023 at 8:17 PM Post #130,184 of 152,846
No.
Folkvangr sounds considerably better than it looks.

I don't know if I would wait for a second run to ever happen. A run of Folkvangr burns through a lot of power tube stock. If I remember correctly, part of why Folkvangr exists at all was because Schiit wanted to get "rid" of a decent chunk of the stock they're usually keeping for Valhalla. Short of them lucking into a stash of about a thousand or two of perfectly good NOS 6n6p tubes, I'm not convinced that a second run would make much sense.

But Schiit doesn't always make a lot of sense, so what do I know… ;p

Anyway, I wouldn't wait. Great condition, pre-loved Folkvangrs pop up occasionally on the used gear market. If you're serious about fetching one, I'd set up an eBay alert, or something along those lines.

I doubt that you'll regret getting one.

You can't have mine, though. Only from my cold, dead hands. And even then only under protest. Sorry. 😜
LOL

Users who are viewing this thread

Back