Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 7, 2023 at 10:36 PM Post #130,141 of 155,088
Just listened to K.Flay's new album and, um....... HOLY SCHIIT!!

I guess she didn't get the memo that rap-rock is dead, and thank God for that!! :sweat_smile:

'Punisher' might just end up being the heaviest track of 2023, and the fact that it came from a woman just makes it that much more awesome!! :L3000:

Thanks for the rec, AP. :metal:
You should listen to the track Blood In The Cut on her album Every Where Is Some Where.

Actually, if you can get your hands on the Deluxe Version of that album, listen to both versions of that track. First the normal one, then the Seattle Sessions one.
Rap meets rock meets NoLa brass band. A real trip, that one.

Nov 7, 2023 at 10:55 PM Post #130,142 of 155,088
You should listen to the track Blood In The Cut on her album Every Where Is Some Where.

Actually, if you can get your hands on the Deluxe Version of that album, listen to both versions of that track. First the normal one, then the Seattle Sessions one.
Rap meets rock meets NoLa brass band. A real trip, that one.
Blood In The Cut was the first track I heard of hers when it first came out, and I loved it. And the audio nerd in me loved that she used the term 'sub' (for 'subwoofer') in it. 🤓

Last edited:
Nov 7, 2023 at 11:16 PM Post #130,143 of 155,088
Moongel Damper Pads

I have installed Moongel Damper Pads under my speakers; 3 under each flat foot plate. The speaker floats over these pads. I’m pretty sure these gel pads totally isolate the panels. The sound is clear no smearing.

See attached photos and link to a video showing the panels moving when pushed laterally - https://veed.io/view/0dcec18a-5cc0-4c53-a7c4-121079f77637

IMG_8967.jpeg
IMG_8970.jpeg

Nov 7, 2023 at 11:35 PM Post #130,144 of 155,088
Great medicine for healing vibes!

I just spent the last five weeks busily dumping and processing 33 barrels of Bourbon, Wheat, and Rye for more Oregon Spirit Bottled-in-Bond goodness to hit Total Wine shelves!
For reference, each barrel produces roughly 42 cases @ 6 bottles per case. That means we sent over 8,000 bottles of Bottled-in-Bond to Total Wine last month. Not bad for a small little craft distillery with a single blender and an all-by-hand bottling crew. 😮‍💨

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:00 AM Post #130,146 of 155,088
Component matching is essential when choosing Yggy flavors and of course the transducer/amp synergy. I prefer Yggy OG (going by my multiple auditions with it) on a less aggressive amp (one that focuses on more sustained harmonics rather than raw macrodynamics) while I prefer Yggy MIB on an aggressive amp to maximize their traits
Thanks for your interesting impressions of Yggy OG and MIB @theveterans .
It is great to read that already there are so many positive ‘reviews’ of the MIB.
I must admit that when I read Jason’s initial reports about the difference the new TI chips made, I wondered if he was getting (understandably) a bit carried away.
I should have known better!
I have great faith in Jason and Mike’s abilities, and that is why I have bought so much Schiit gear over the years.
I am sure that amp/transducer synergy is very important.
I would regard my amps/transducers as fairly neutral-sounding, which could explain why the OG Yggy sounds so good.
I have no intention of buying an MIB version, but I am delighted that Jason and Mike have found a way to keep the fantastic Yggy OG alive and kicking when the supply of AD chips runs out.

Nov 8, 2023 at 6:32 AM Post #130,147 of 155,088
I mostly listen to jazz. I have a Piety (with Soekris dac2541 and ZMF Verité headphones) on the East Coast for my periods there, and I'm always surprised how good that setup sounds relative to the much more expensive gear I have on the West Coast. Piety is by far the best bang-for-$ jazz amp I've owned, and I've owned quite a few.
Thank you.

Nov 8, 2023 at 9:21 AM Post #130,148 of 155,088
Not surprised at all that you got the MIB. Enjoy!
Oh, I am. MIB strikes me as having just a little more "plankton," i.e. micro-detail, than my old Ygg. Break-in continues. Now the question becomes, what do I do if Jason really does unleash a More is More uber-Ygg? Hopefully, he's in no hurry.
BTW, JamminVMI, enjoyed meeting you at the Schiitr back in September. Best holiday wishes to you and yours.

Nov 8, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #130,149 of 155,088
Yep! This DAC has ridiculous timing accuracy which contributes to that sheer clarity and speed. Mike and Jason have proven that million taps aren't not the sole solution to achieve this feat!

Got my MIB in yesterday, and after initial listening tests with Mjolnir 3 and Susvara, I completely agree -- incredible clarity and speed, a very refined yet not shrill top end, and incredible spatial characteristics (imaging and soundstage) that differ from the OG and that I'm still trying to wrap my head around. Of course, this is with just a few hours of warm up, so we'll see how the sound evolves over the coming days, but my initial impression is very positive!

I have a fairly big pile of Schiit here, so I plan to perform listening tests with Folkvangr, Mjolnir 3, Mjolnir 2, Ragnarok 2, and perhaps with (not pictured) Jotunheim 2 and R as well, with a variety of headphones (Susvara, DCA Stealth, HD800, HD820, LCD-R, etc.). It'll be fun to see what synergizes together.

IMG_2696.jpeg

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 10:51 AM Post #130,150 of 155,088
Got my MIB in yesterday, and after initial listening tests with Mjolnir 3 and Susvara, I completely agree -- incredible clarity and speed, a very refined yet not shrill top end, and incredible spatial characteristics (imaging and soundstage) that differ from the OG and that I'm still trying to wrap my head around. Of course, this is with just a few hours of warm up, so we'll see how the sound evolves over the coming days, but my initial impression is very positive!

I have a fairly big pile of Schiit here, so I plan to perform listening tests with Folkvangr, Mjolnir 3, Mjolnir 2, Ragnarok 2, and perhaps with (not pictured) Jotunheim 2 and R as well, with a variety of headphones (Susvara, DCA Stealth, HD800, HD820, LCD-R, etc.). It'll be fun to see what synergizes together.

Wow that’s some great pile of Schiit!

I feel bad for my MIB since it’s tucked away from my cramped coffee table

IMG_8921.jpeg

Nov 8, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #130,152 of 155,088
Oh, I am. MIB strikes me as having just a little more "plankton," i.e. micro-detail, than my old Ygg. Break-in continues.
I'm being really careful what I say here, because a) MIB is still "new", b) I am OG's biggest fan and c) I don't want to mislead anybody.
I'm not sure that MIB is resolving anything that OG can't (or doesn't) resolve... I think that it just presents the data differently.

This being stated, MIB delivers a spectacular presentation. The first thing I noticed when I put MIB in the downstairs system was how much more open the upper registers sounded. Next, I heard overtones that I generally hadn't heard before, especially on plucked guitar and banjo strings... again, maybe OG presented them too, just in a slightly different balance? Finally, in my short session last night, I found myself wanting to mess with the upper end pots on Loki Max - but I didn't. Going to give it some more bake time before I make any adjustments.

More to come on this. I'm going to really enjoy OG upstairs, driving my Senns via OG Jot. I'll also bring the HD820s upstairs... just need to ensure that I don't get too carried away and forget to work. <g>

Oh, and I haven't turned MJ3 on since MIB has joined the downstairs system. That'll be an interesting experience, to say the least.

Now the question becomes, what do I do if Jason really does unleash a More is More uber-Ygg? Hopefully, he's in no hurry.
I'll be in, for sure, but I agree that he and Mike should definitely take their time... my wallet will thank them for that!

Nov 8, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #130,153 of 155,088
Great medicine for healing vibes!

I just spent the last five weeks busily dumping and processing 33 barrels of Bourbon, Wheat, and Rye for more Oregon Spirit Bottled-in-Bond goodness to hit Total Wine shelves!
I also tried some of the four year old bourbon that was hmm, 95 proof? I found it quite similar to the bottled in bond for less money. :beerchug:

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:00 PM Post #130,154 of 155,088
I also tried some of the four year old bourbon that was hmm, 95 proof? I found it quite similar to the bottled in bond for less money. :beerchug:
94 proof, and yeah, not too different from 100p. I'd love to do a 107 proof version someday, that'd be neat.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back