Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Nov 8, 2023 at 1:39 PM Post #130,157 of 155,113
So, if the Yggdrasil OG is the best Mike Moffat could do, how can he come out with a "super Yggdrassil MIM"? Jason tweaked the analog output stage, created Unison, made a more user friendly case with NOS and remote, but the heart of the OG is the same.

If AD hadn't jacked up the prices of their processors, OG would still be king.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:50 PM Post #130,158 of 155,113
So, if the Yggdrasil OG is the best Mike Moffat could do, how can he come out with a "super Yggdrassil MIM"? Jason tweaked the analog output stage, created Unison, made a more user friendly case with NOS and remote, but the heart of the OG is the same.

If AD hadn't jacked up the prices of their processors, OG would still be king.

There’s no King. Designs/offerings evolve as new component chips become available. The OG being revered before does not make it less now.

I knew MIB was coming in 2 weeks and still ordered OG. All is well.

Nov 8, 2023 at 1:57 PM Post #130,159 of 155,113
Don't feed the trolls.
Never argue with anyone claiming to hear "profound and demonstrable" differences in anything. Just congratulate them on their personal discovery and move on.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:08 PM Post #130,160 of 155,113
Yggy OG was the best that Mike could do with Schiit's proprietary closed-form filter and the hardware of the time. Since it was announced on 20 April 2015, I can only assume that Mike and team had been working on it for years... from the press release:

"Yggdrasil was designed with a single goal in mind: to give you the most from the music you already have," said Mike Moffat, Co-Founder of Schiit Audio. "It's the end result of five years of research into digital filter algorithms, resulting in a unique closed-form digital filter running on an Analog Devices SHARC DSP processor, as well as four true 20-bit Analog Devices DACs running in differential configuration."
(Five years, so... work started in 2010 or earlier...)

"It's the best DAC I know how to build," Mike summed up. "We're very proud of its performance—and we're very excited to be able to deliver this level of performance to the overwhelming majority of PCM music that everyone already owns."
Fast-forward to the end of 2023. Times change. I am super lucky to be able to own both an OG and a MIB, and even if the Super Yggy is priced at $10K, I'll have three DACs for 75% of the cost of the cheapest offering from dCS. See how I justified that? :innocent:

OK, back to the music. I have a report to write... <g>

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:17 PM Post #130,161 of 155,113
There’s no King. Designs/offerings evolve as new component chips become available. The OG being revered before does not make it less now.

I knew MIB was coming in 2 weeks and still ordered OG. All is well.
Actually, by price and provenance, the OG is the top offering. This doesn't diminish the other Yggy flavors.

The decision to retire it is due to the loss of value compared to the LIM and MIB. Schiit won't have the OG be $3k+ just because the chip skyrocketed in price.

Me calling the OG the best Mike has to offer is not my opinion, but what was stated when it came out.

Nov 8, 2023 at 2:20 PM Post #130,162 of 155,113
Yggy OG was the best that Mike could do with Schiit's proprietary closed-form filter and the hardware of the time. Since it was announced on 20 April 2015, I can only assume that Mike and team had been working on it for years... from the press release:

(Five years, so... work started in 2010 or earlier...)

Fast-forward to the end of 2023. Times change. I am super lucky to be able to own both an OG and a MIB, and even if the Super Yggy is priced at $10K, I'll have three DACs for 75% of the cost of the cheapest offering from dCS. See how I justified that? :innocent:

OK, back to the music. I have a report to write... <g>
Rob Watts has the same situation with the DAVE. Same hardware as original. Same XLINX chip. But chord just increases the price to match the market and inflation. That's not Schiit's style.

I digress. We'll see what the future holds.

Last edited:
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:15 PM Post #130,164 of 155,113
Midgard has just arrived, will unpack and warm up tomorrow!
Also will test with a Modius E same form factor 9028 ESS dac.

Seems like a good pairing with tons of power and a tuned Schiit ESS design.

Will also contrast with the MB2!

Stay Tuned!
Alex
Midgards done, working on the Modius E.
Will take longer sorry...have some medical issues here!!
Ouch!
Alex

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:19 PM Post #130,165 of 155,113
Got my MIB in yesterday, and after initial listening tests with Mjolnir 3 and Susvara, I completely agree -- incredible clarity and speed, a very refined yet not shrill top end, and incredible spatial characteristics (imaging and soundstage) that differ from the OG and that I'm still trying to wrap my head around. Of course, this is with just a few hours of warm up, so we'll see how the sound evolves over the coming days, but my initial impression is very positive!

I have a fairly big pile of Schiit here, so I plan to perform listening tests with Folkvangr, Mjolnir 3, Mjolnir 2, Ragnarok 2, and perhaps with (not pictured) Jotunheim 2 and R as well, with a variety of headphones (Susvara, DCA Stealth, HD800, HD820, LCD-R, etc.). It'll be fun to see what synergizes together.

IMG_2696.jpeg
Nice stack. I could kick myself for not grabbing a Folkvangr. Jason teased at another run on a YouTube livestream, I am hoping they do it. Does it sound as awesome as it looks? Just asking because you obviously have a bunch of options to compare it to.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #130,166 of 155,113
Yes, yes it is. Not really my cup of tea but it sounds so good I had to order a copy.
I might have a bit too many options available for my own good right now.

I have a Mac Mini that acts as my music streaming computer and it is completely separate from the computer I work at but, using screen sharing, I still interact with it from my work computer. The Mac Mini feeds into both the Yggy and the Bifrost 2/64. I also have a Modi and a Modi Multibit that can be used for audio coming directly from the work computer - usually for checking sound on a shot or for watching YouTube videos. Depending on the various switches set or cable plugged, I can listen to any one of these DACs at my workstation.

So I looked up Sara K. on Apple Music and was listening to a few songs, but was wondering what the fuss was about. Sure it sounded alright, but nothing amazing. And then I realized I was playing from the work computer into the Modi - the least sophisticated DAC I have available (ignoring the one in the computer itself) I switched to the streaming computer and played a song through the Bifrost and it sounded so much better.

The Modi was the first Schiit product I bought and it was a significant upgrade from the DAC in my Denon AVR. But the Modi Multibit, the Bifrost and the Yggy have been significant improvements over the Modi.

Why am I blathering about all this…? Actually I can’t remember…

Oh right… It can be easy to forget how far you have come if you don’t go back to hear where you started from. Sometimes I wonder if I’m throwing away money at infinitesimal improvements but this was a good reminder of just how much better the Bifrost and Yggy are over the also very good Modi. So, right now, I’m feeling like the money was well spent.

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:28 PM Post #130,167 of 155,113
Nov 8, 2023 at 4:41 PM Post #130,168 of 155,113
Rob Watts has the same situation with the DAVE. Same hardware as original. Same XLINX chip. But chord just increases the price to match the market and inflation. That's not Schiit's style.

I digress. We'll see what the future holds.
Hi Daniel, I was pretty sure that the Analog Devices DAC chips were becoming unobtainable at any price, and that's why Jason said that this would be the last run. Regardless, you are 100% correct, sir - I also hope to be around to see what the future holds! :sunglasses:

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:43 PM Post #130,169 of 155,113
Does it sound as awesome as it looks?
No.
Folkvangr sounds considerably better than it looks.

I don't know if I would wait for a second run to ever happen. A run of Folkvangr burns through a lot of power tube stock. If I remember correctly, part of why Folkvangr exists at all was because Schiit wanted to get "rid" of a decent chunk of the stock they're usually keeping for Valhalla. Short of them lucking into a stash of about a thousand or two of perfectly good NOS 6n6p tubes, I'm not convinced that a second run would make much sense.

But Schiit doesn't always make a lot of sense, so what do I know… ;p

Anyway, I wouldn't wait. Great condition, pre-loved Folkvangrs pop up occasionally on the used gear market. If you're serious about fetching one, I'd set up an eBay alert, or something along those lines.

I doubt that you'll regret getting one.

You can't have mine, though. Only from my cold, dead hands. And even then only under protest. Sorry. 😜

Nov 8, 2023 at 4:51 PM Post #130,170 of 155,113
No.
Folkvangr sounds considerably better than it looks.

I don't know if I would wait for a second run to ever happen. A run of Folkvangr burns through a lot of power tube stock. If I remember correctly, part of why Folkvangr exists at all was because Schiit wanted to get "rid" of a decent chunk of the stock they're usually keeping for Valhalla. Short of them lucking into a stash of about a thousand or two of perfectly good NOS 6n6p tubes, I'm not convinced that a second run would make much sense.

But Schiit doesn't always make a lot of sense, so what do I know… ;p

Anyway, I wouldn't wait. Great condition, pre-loved Folkvangrs pop up occasionally on the used gear market. If you're serious about fetching one, I'd set up an eBay alert, or something along those lines.

I doubt that you'll regret getting one.

You can't have mine, though. Only from my cold, dead hands. And even then only under protest. Sorry. 😜
What if they changed the tubes on the Folkvangr and made the Folkvangr N? With a different Noval tube or a tube that is more gettable? 🤷‍♂️

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back