Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:14 PM Post #129,647 of 150,666
I think I will put it in another rig to check for AC issues. info@schiit.com doesn't want to talk about it any more until I get some other tubes installed. I can't say I'm keen to spend $150-200 on tubes just to troubleshoot it, but that's life in the vacuum world I suppose.
I can't really blame them for telling you to replace the tubes first, because they are the most likely culprit.
It also doesn't hurt to always have spares at hand. Tubes tend to die on me at the most inopportune moments*, and then it's nice to be able to keep on listening without having to wait a week for the replacements to arrive. That is if you're lucky enough for your tube dealer to have what you need at hand at that particular time in the first place.
Tubes are a huge pain in the ass, but some of them sound just too good to not use them.

* Well, what moment isn't the most inopportune moment for a tube to shuffle off into the sunset, amiright?! 😁

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:17 PM Post #129,648 of 150,666
The manual seems pretty clear that the tubes have to be in place.
If you switch your Freya to bypass or buffer, the tubes are entirely out of the signal path. So if it's the tubes, the hum/noise/whatever should go away when you're switching your Freya to either bypass or buffered. If the hum/noise/whatever persists even when in bypass or buffered, it's not the tubes' fault.

You can run your Freya in bypass or buffered mode with no tubes inserted, whether or not you have them in the preamp won't make any difference when it runs in bypass or buffered mode.
To state the obvious: Tubes have to be inserted if you want to run the Freya in tube mode.

Pro tip: Don't change tubes while tube mode is engaged. Not only will you sear your fingerprints right off, you also run the risk of damaging the tubes and/or the preamp.
Swapping tubes while the Freya is in bypass or buffer mode is fine, but make sure they've fully cooled down first.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #129,649 of 150,666
Recent Messages conversation with a friend who shall remain nameless to protect his safety:

Screenshot 2023-10-30 at 2.46.08 PM.png

Thoughts? 🤣

My cabinets are built for the 17" width. I can't even buy gear with fixed rackmount ears.* 20" would not work at all.

I think the vast majority of schiitizens and audio buyers in general would take one look at their gear racks and move along.

If you want to fantasize along those lines then 17", 8.5" & 4 .25" would be less unrealistic.

* I used to fantasize about buying an Audio Research or Mark Levinson and taking a cutoff wheel to the strictly-for-show ears to fit them into my rack, and seeing how people at large reacted...

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:52 PM Post #129,650 of 150,666
* I used to fantasize about buying an Audio Research or Mark Levinson and taking a cutoff wheel to the strictly-for-show ears to fit them into my rack, and seeing how people at large reacted...
I like how you think, that would have been interesting and amusing. Not enough that I would spend any money at all on it though.

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:06 PM Post #129,652 of 150,666
These are the 3 stands I had in summer of 2023. 20" x 15" shelves. Plenty of room for rack size, full size Schiit and other stuff, and side by side for Schiit's desktop sized boxes and other stuff. Plenty of ventilation, and casters to make changes of gear and cables easily. No box to big for these shelves and they are made of the hardest MFD I've ever experienced. No amount of weight would cause them to sag over time and the surfaces were scuff free. Corner bars are 3/4 inch rebar and heavy.
1698789623451.png

Oct 31, 2023 at 6:07 PM Post #129,653 of 150,666
I will try that, but I'm pretty sure they are not ringing, this is more like a hum.

The manual indicates there may be some, and to try other tubes to get rid of it. But it's loud enough to hear from the chair, and it was dead quiet the last time I had used it.
If it is a hum, it could be a heater to cathode short in one tube. Since all 4 tubes use the same heater voltage supply, hum will probably appear on both channels. Do you know anyone that has a good tube tester to test your tubes?

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:11 PM Post #129,655 of 150,666
If it is a hum, it could be a heater to cathode short in one tube. Since all 4 tubes use the same heater voltage supply, hum will probably appear on both channels. Do you know anyone that has a good tube tester to test your tubes?
So tonight I moved the Freya out to the garage rig to do some testing. I first fired up the rig to set a baseline, then pulled the cables off of the Saga S and plugged in the Freya. I switched it on, walked to both speakers and could only hear the faintest of hiss (a product of the Class D power amp here).

Ok, time for some music. I started in passive mode, and it was fine. Switched to the solid state diff buffer - no issues. Finally I switched in the tubes aaannnddd....It was absolutely fine.

Did the humming ghoul in the Freya decide to go out trick or treating tonight?

Tomorrow I will put it back in the rig with the Vidar and the Zu's, and reinspect my cable runs. Last night I swapped in a Rega Elex R (preamp section only) and the problem disappeared, with no changes to cabling. Fingers crossed that my Freya was only throwing a tantrum for being ignored for so long.
IMG_0150.jpeg

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:19 PM Post #129,656 of 150,666
That's audio for ya. Just when you think your going to have a stellar listening session you hit the play button and ..... "sounds like ass"!
Mix a few things up and its audio nirvana again.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 7:27 PM Post #129,657 of 150,666
So tonight I moved the Freya out to the garage rig to do some testing. I first fired up the rig to set a baseline, then pulled the cables off of the Saga S and plugged in the Freya. I switched it on, walked to both speakers and could only hear the faintest of hiss (a product of the Class D power amp here).

Ok, time for some music. I started in passive mode, and it was fine. Switched to the solid state diff buffer - no issues. Finally I switched in the tubes aaannnddd....It was absolutely fine.

Tomorrow I will put it back in the rig with the Vidar and the Zu's, and reinspect my cable runs. Last night I swapped in a Rega Elex R (preamp section only) and the problem disappeared, with no changes to cabling. Fingers crossed that my Freya was only throwing a tantrum for being ignored for so long.

Forget audio…. What is that beautiful green motorcar in your garage? Austin Healey 3L?

Beautiful color too!

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 7:36 PM Post #129,658 of 150,666

IMG_0150.jpeg
Perhaps it's just the tube rolling universe requesting you listen to your schiit in the car. And what a car!

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:58 PM Post #129,659 of 150,666
I was warned about arthritis if I had surgery. No matter what I was told I need to strengthen specific muscles.😉
I’ve been down the surgery route more times than I have fingers. The best prevention is PT to learn the exercises and keep doing them. The stronger the muscles around the joint are the longer and more pain free you will be.

Also get well soon so you can get back in your shop creating your stunning projects for others.

Oct 31, 2023 at 8:19 PM Post #129,660 of 150,666
So I am going to give a huge shout out to team Schiit. Several weeks ago I sent my Gungnir Multibit back via their upgrade system to do the unison update. I used FedEx... I have heard stories about their handling of hi fi gear but I get a 75% interline discount so...

They lost it. It hit Memphis and POOF! Days went by... nothing. Could not get anyone on the phone, and when I finally did english was their 3rd or 4th language. So they asked for more details, like the name of the missing item. Try spelling "S-C-H-I-I-T" "G-U-N-G-N-I-R" to someone that cannot understand your name or much of anything else. After multiple representatives, and multiple attempts - I pretty much gave up. Next step was to file an insurance claim. A few days later I got an email from Arthur @ Schiit telling me that USPS just tried to deliver my unit. What?? He was scratching his head as to how a FedEx two day shipment ends up with USPS, and with postage due to boot. Arthur offered to have Schiit front the postage due and bill me for it. What great service; the guy apparently went to the post office himself to retrieve my shipment! Thanks to Arthur and Schiit I am no longer up Schiit's creek without a DAC. Not that I wasn't already a customer for life but... just wow!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back