Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 31, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #129,631 of 150,334
🤔… (a) is the approximation for the height or the weight? (b) will the surgeon measure twice, cut once or … 😳
Height lol, @FLTWS knows my son is much taller, I am but six feet tall and even at 215 I am nearly considered obese according to BMI.

Today my musical choices include Bach's toccata and fugue in d minor, followed by Jeff Wayne's original War of the Worlds with Richard Burton.

Happy Halloween!

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #129,632 of 150,334
I fired up my rig with the Freya N last evening after a several week break, and guess what? I've got noise out of the speakers at idle.

Mine sounds similar to a transformer hum, but higher pitched and again coming from the speakers, not the amp or Freya. Could that be ringing? Sorry, somewhat new to the tube world. It is much louder with the tube stage engaged, but is still there in the solid state modes.

I emailed Schiit support, and so far they asked if I tried replacing the tubes, so perhaps that's the culprit? (No spares handy to confirm).

If I'm buying tubes, what would you recommend in the $50 or so each range?
Maybe a 60Hz hum. Quick potential fix is to change where the amp is plugged...wall socket, power strip. A 'hum isolator' has worked for me in the past to solve grounding issues. Sometimes the wired connections running parallel and in close proximity can give you a buzz. 6N23P tubes will fit your price budget, check 6DJ8, stay away from 'fashionable' tubes and climbing the tree to 6922, 7308 and Cca will get $$$ quickly. I prefer NOS Mullard E188CC for a 'tube' sound but they don't give them away.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 11:15 AM Post #129,633 of 150,334
Height lol, @FLTWS knows my son is much taller, I am but six feet tall and even at 215 I am nearly considered obese according to BMI.

Today my musical choices include Bach's toccata and fugue in d minor, followed by Jeff Wayne's original War of the Worlds with Richard Burton.

Happy Halloween!
War of the Worlds is a magnificent album. I have the Collector's Edition which is itself a work of art!

Burton's intro is one of my test pieces "No one would have believed......"

Oct 31, 2023 at 11:25 AM Post #129,634 of 150,334
I fired up my rig with the Freya N last evening after a several week break, and guess what? I've got noise out of the speakers at idle.

Mine sounds similar to a transformer hum, but higher pitched and again coming from the speakers, not the amp or Freya. Could that be ringing? Sorry, somewhat new to the tube world. It is much louder with the tube stage engaged, but is still there in the solid state modes.

I emailed Schiit support, and so far they asked if I tried replacing the tubes, so perhaps that's the culprit? (No spares handy to confirm).

If it's happening in the solid state modes, I wouldn't think it was the tubes. Are you able to try it in another outlet? Or can you perhaps get access to a Hum X? (Edit: ninja'd by @Moondog55 !)

As for replacement tubes, maybe it was my imagination but I feel like I actually liked the voshkod rockets I got off ebay a little better than the stock ones, so maybe there is a good amount of variation in the years.

But others like Ripper2860 seem to have had better luck with tube rolling than me. The Brimar 12AT7's with adapters have been mentioned.

Last edited:
Oct 31, 2023 at 11:28 AM Post #129,635 of 150,334

Interesting, I have a sort of similar experience that I was intending to document here and seek input.

When we travel, I power all the gear down. Invariably, when I return and power up the system (Rpi/HifiBerry xlr > Freya + > Tyr > Tekton Double Impacts) I get crackling noise. This consists of light popping, often only in one speaker, sometimes both.
I have discovered a few things by trial and error:
* Moving the RPi away form te rest of the system with longer XLR cables helped with ALL noise - but didn't cure the cold start problem.
* I tried swapping tubes out completely (usually just the right side), sometimes all is well, sometimes the same issue.
* Firmly seating, wobbling the tubes (always right only) sometimes effects a cure.
* Switching to non-tube mode and allowing the Freya+ to get really warm (and it does) before switching back to tube mode is sometimes enough to fix the noise.
* If the noise is still prevalent after this step, the answer is to turn off the Freya+ (only) and physically swap the right tubes only, front to back and turn the Freya+ back on. This always seems to work.

We returned from CA after 8 days away and went through the above. Since the front to back swap, the system has been perfect. I have no real understanding a) of the noise (it happen even with the volume at zero) or b) why the front to back swap works.

YMMV

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:16 PM Post #129,636 of 150,334

Given that the noise is present in the non-tube modes you could eliminate the tubes as a source by running the Freya without tubes. Or does it not allow that?

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:24 PM Post #129,638 of 150,334
Given that the noise is present in the non-tube modes you could eliminate the tubes as a source by running the Freya without tubes. Or does it not allow that?
Freya N can run without the tube output active.

Oct 31, 2023 at 12:26 PM Post #129,639 of 150,334
I have a REL T7/i and could feel some vibration transmitted to my flooring on wood floor joists. I have considered (but not yet tried) isolating feet. One thing that REL advises is not to raise the subwoofer because they tune it to be a specific distance from the floor.

https://rel.net/blog/2021-10-26/q-a...esnt-recommend-subwoofer-isolation-platforms/
Hi @rkw - yep, I saw John's video and that's the main reason that I went with the GAIAs instead of a (cheaper) isolation platform. The difference in clearance between the stock feet vs. the GAIA IIIs + carpet spikes is ~1/16", and if I wanted to grind one thread off of each of those (4) M6 studs, I could match the stock height exactly. The bottom-facing passive radiator faces a medium pile carpet, and I can assure John that deep bass is not compromised vs the stock feet... :sunglasses:

Sympathies on having to go back to work. My dogs don't understand that is where their kibble comes from.

Two questions:
  1. what is your floor? concrete, etc?
  2. These are attached to floorstanders? (I wonder what the effect would be on standmounts. Attached to stand? between speaker and stands? between stands and floor? both?)
ty!
Ha! If I didn't work, @artur9 , I wouldn't be able to do these fun audio things, so... it's not so bad. The floor is medium pile carpet over a 10 pound-density pad, on concrete. The GAIA IIs are attached to my B&W 804 D3 floor-standers... not sure how they would work for stand-mounts, but I'm sure that info at isoacoustics dot com can help. <g>

Oct 31, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #129,641 of 150,334
I was warned about arthritis if I had surgery. No matter what I was told I need to strengthen specific muscles.😉
Hi Tom, you're on the right track with the exercise. I torn mine to 51 yrs ago. It was a complete tear. Surgery then was 3 day stay in hospital. Next to worst surgery I have ever had. I asked the surgeon then what to do and his reply then was exercise. The surrounding muscles will stabilize the area.
Worked for me. Had the knee replaced 2 yrs ago and the other side a few months later. To me, both those replacements was a walk in the park compared to the surgery 51 yrs ago.
I am sure you vetted your doctors. Take care. Oh yea, ice machine is your friend.

Oct 31, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #129,643 of 150,334
With the tube stage engaged, tap on the Freya's chassis and the shelf it's sitting on. Does the tapping come through on the speakers (will be a ringing and echoing sound)? Does changing the volume result in the relay clicks carrying through to the speakers? If so, the tubes have gone microphonic.
I will try that, but I'm pretty sure they are not ringing, this is more like a hum.

The manual indicates there may be some, and to try other tubes to get rid of it. But it's loud enough to hear from the chair, and it was dead quiet the last time I had used it.

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:02 PM Post #129,644 of 150,334
If it's happening in the solid state modes, I wouldn't think it was the tubes. Are you able to try it in another outlet? Or can you perhaps get access to a Hum X? (Edit: ninja'd by @Moondog55 !)

As for replacement tubes, maybe it was my imagination but I feel like I actually liked the voshkod rockets I got off ebay a little better than the stock ones, so maybe there is a good amount of variation in the years.

But others like Ripper2860 seem to have had better luck with tube rolling than me. The Brimar 12AT7's with adapters have been mentioned.
I think I will put it in another rig to check for AC issues. info@schiit.com doesn't want to talk about it any more until I get some other tubes installed. I can't say I'm keen to spend $150-200 on tubes just to troubleshoot it, but that's life in the vacuum world I suppose.

Oct 31, 2023 at 4:09 PM Post #129,645 of 150,334
Interesting, I have a sort of similar experience that I was intending to document here and seek input.

When we travel, I power all the gear down. Invariably, when I return and power up the system (Rpi/HifiBerry xlr > Freya + > Tyr > Tekton Double Impacts) I get crackling noise. This consists of light popping, often only in one speaker, sometimes both.
I have discovered a few things by trial and error:
* Moving the RPi away form te rest of the system with longer XLR cables helped with ALL noise - but didn't cure the cold start problem.
* I tried swapping tubes out completely (usually just the right side), sometimes all is well, sometimes the same issue.
* Firmly seating, wobbling the tubes (always right only) sometimes effects a cure.
* Switching to non-tube mode and allowing the Freya+ to get really warm (and it does) before switching back to tube mode is sometimes enough to fix the noise.
* If the noise is still prevalent after this step, the answer is to turn off the Freya+ (only) and physically swap the right tubes only, front to back and turn the Freya+ back on. This always seems to work.

We returned from CA after 8 days away and went through the above. Since the front to back swap, the system has been perfect. I have no real understanding a) of the noise (it happen even with the volume at zero) or b) why the front to back swap works.

YMMV
Thanks, I will try switching mine around first to see if it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back