Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Oct 28, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #129,331 of 153,170
IF using 200-300 ohm dynamic cans exclusively, then Yggy or BF2/64 + Asgard 3 or Jotunheim 2.

Otherwise, BF2/64 + MJ3
That's an interesting point. My understanding is that the Yggy is good into anything while amp/headphone combos are a bit FOTM or, if you have several of each, mood-of-the-moment.

Oct 28, 2023 at 12:24 AM Post #129,332 of 153,170
IF using 200-300 ohm dynamic cans exclusively, then Yggy or BF2/64 + Asgard 3 or Jotunheim 2.

Otherwise, BF2/64 + MJ3

I don't know about that.... Yggy OG A2+ MJ3 + 300 ohm ZMF Auteur Classic is among the best listening experiences I've come across.... Bifrost 2 OG is also quite excellent in place of Yggy

Oct 28, 2023 at 12:54 AM Post #129,333 of 153,170
Hey all - any recommendations on Schiit headphone amp(s) that are good at low volumes? I'll be honest when I started reading about headphone amps, I thought, "well this will absolutely lead to hearing loss." I spent a lot of time listening to music via headphones when I was younger so I'm sure I'm well on my way to hearing loss (and my wife and kids absolutely think so too). So just wondering if there are any particular amps out there that may be better for the lower volume listening (without degradation in audio quality). Maybe they all are - just wanted to take that possible factor into consideration. I've been looking mainly at Midgard (probably because it's new) as well as Jotunheim w/ multibit (for the all-in-one box factor).

As I said in my very first post several weeks ago, I don't own any fancy headphones (yet), so if there are things to consider with respect to headphones and sound quality at low and high volumes (like impedance, etc.), please let me know too.

Finally, let's be honest, I'll be occasionally blasting whatever I end up getting but want it all to sound great at low volumes too. Thanks guys.

Oct 28, 2023 at 2:01 AM Post #129,335 of 153,170
Yggdrasil+ OG warm-up

The Yggy OG has been ON for about 60h so far. It started with a somewhat ragged treble but is progressively becoming smoother as time passes.

It’s known that Mike Moffat warned reviewers that a long warm-up was necessary. Some say the Yggy needs 3 weeks of warm-up. I’ll see if I perceive further changes. And yes, the DAC is absolutely superb.

I presume the warm-up effects are happening in the analog board. Is this because prototypes are tweaked over a long period of time during which components stabilized thermally? Thus, brand new units need time to attain that thermal state?

Is break-in also happening in the digital boards?

I hope @Jason Stoddard can chime in to educate us on this process.

EDIT: Changed 'break-in' to 'warm-up'.

IMG_8925.jpeg

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 9:28 AM Post #129,336 of 153,170
Hey all - any recommendations on Schiit headphone amp(s) that are good at low volumes? I'll be honest when I started reading about headphone amps, I thought, "well this will absolutely lead to hearing loss." I spent a lot of time listening to music via headphones when I was younger so I'm sure I'm well on my way to hearing loss (and my wife and kids absolutely think so too). So just wondering if there are any particular amps out there that may be better for the lower volume listening (without degradation in audio quality). Maybe they all are - just wanted to take that possible factor into consideration. I've been looking mainly at Midgard (probably because it's new) as well as Jotunheim w/ multibit (for the all-in-one box factor).

As I said in my very first post several weeks ago, I don't own any fancy headphones (yet), so if there are things to consider with respect to headphones and sound quality at low and high volumes (like impedance, etc.), please let me know too.

Finally, let's be honest, I'll be occasionally blasting whatever I end up getting but want it all to sound great at low volumes too. Thanks guys.
I'd go with any of their HP amps using a relay stepped attenuator. This will ensure proper volume tracking / channel balance at low volume.

Oct 28, 2023 at 10:18 AM Post #129,337 of 153,170
The new Yggdrasil MIB* (Men in Black) version. So good you'll forget about all other DACs.

*Not available in silver.
This post deserves at the very least double likes, one for the MIB gag and one more for the “*not available in silver” followup! :thumbsup::thumbsup:

Luckily I had already finished my cup of coffee, or it would have sprayed all over the place from me laughing so hard! :ksc75smile:

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 10:24 AM Post #129,338 of 153,170
I'd go with any of their HP amps using a relay stepped attenuator. This will ensure proper volume tracking / channel balance at low volume.

If I may interject with a related question...If my DAC (not a Schiit yet), preamp (Freya N) and amp (Asgard 3) all have volume control, should the volume be maxed on the DAC and amp and the Freya used for adjusting volume?

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 10:34 AM Post #129,339 of 153,170
If I may interject with a related question...If my DAC (not a Schiit yet), preamp (Freya N) and amp (Asgard 3) all have volume control, should the volume be maxed on the DAC and amp and the Freya used for adjusting volume?

The volume control on your DAC should be maxed out. Other than that, I'm not in favour of cascading amplifiers so you're on your own there.

:beerchug:
JC

Oct 28, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #129,340 of 153,170
Yggdrasil+ OG break-in

The Yggy OG has been ON for about 60h so far. It started with a somewhat ragged treble but is progressively becoming smoother as time passes.

It’s known that Mike Moffat warned reviewers that a long break-in was necessary. Some say the Yggy needs 3 weeks of burn-in. I’ll see if I perceive further changes. And yes, the DAC is absolutely superb.

I presume the changes are happening in the analog board. Is this because prototypes are tweaked over a long period of time during which components stabilized thermally? Thus, brand new units need time to attain that thermal state?

Is break-in also happening in the digital boards?

I hope @Jason Stoddard can chime in to educate us on this process.

IMG_8925.jpeg
Give Yggy a month to burn in, don't worry about counting days or weeks- that'll lead to nervosa.

You system looks wonderful in that cabinet, beautifully done. :smile_cat:

Oct 28, 2023 at 11:23 AM Post #129,341 of 153,170
The volume control on your DAC should be maxed out. Other than that, I'm not in favour of cascading amplifiers so you're on your own there.

:beerchug:
JC

Yeah, currently, my DAC and preamp have the volume maxed and adjustments are made on the amp. I'll make the small changes to make volume adjustments with the pre, seeing as it has a remote. I have to say that the Freya with certain tubes, recommended from several folks on this forum, has been an absolute eye-and-ear-opening listening delight.

Oct 28, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #129,342 of 153,170
This is sensible advice. For what I consider low volumes I end up using an IEmatch with my HD650s, both with the Fulla 3 and with the Piety, or some other form of extra attenuation such as using the pre out from the Fulla into the Piety. With a gain of 1 I think I could get away without it if the amp happened to have an especially good pot.

None of my headphone systems really retain their sonic qualities at low volumes, though, to my ears. Which is a bummer. Suggestions on this topic would be appreciated by me too!

And at really low volumes (quietest sounds in the music approaching my threshold of hearing) the only systems that I've heard accomplishing this are DALI speakers of Mentor series and up powered by NADs "Direct Digital" amps. But that is a level which requires especially quiet surroundings, so there are not that many systems that I've had the opportunity to actually listen to so quietly. Then again, many systems are really dull already at a relaxed speaking level, somewhere between 60 and 70 dB, which I often can and do test in audio stores... and which I try to stick to for normal listening.

Oct 28, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #129,343 of 153,170
Give Yggy a month to burn in, don't worry about counting days or weeks- that'll lead to nervosa.
+1. One day, you'll just know it's ready. It'll still sound great up to that point. <g>
You system looks wonderful in that cabinet, beautifully done. :smile_cat:
Yes it does, and a lovely photo in monochrome!

Oct 28, 2023 at 11:47 AM Post #129,344 of 153,170
I would also suggest the attenuator be at least 128 steps for fine tuning of volume level at lower volumes.
And, go with one of Schiit's EQ solutions, bass may not be perceived as full at low as at higher volume levels.
The EQ could allow for a little massaging of the frequency range to suit your taste at lower listening levels.
And as mentioned above, the ambient noise level of the listening area will have an effect. The quieter the room, the less volume you'll need to hear it all.

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #129,345 of 153,170
+1. One day, you'll just know it's ready. It'll still sound great up to that point. <g>

Yes it does, and a lovely photo in monochrome!
I look forward to what time will bring but it sounds already fantastic. Listening to Evensong’s extended sound, detailed and smooth with solid bass.

IMG_8931.jpeg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back