Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 4, 2023 at 5:57 PM Post #125,762 of 153,114
I had a Vega when I went to college. The only car where efficiency was measured by the quart rather than the gallon -- around 25 MPG of gas and around 200 miles per quart of oil. :laughing:

Happened on a well-used '72 Mercury Capri for a nice price. V-6, 4 barrel carb, and true dual exhaust from the factory. Not huge horsepower, but light as a feather and it scooted along pretty nicely. Drove that car for almost 6 years and it had over 150k miles on it when I traded it. That was almost unheard of for cars back then without major work.

I didn't realise that the Ford Crapi (not a typo) came over here. It was quite the muscle car in the UK in 3 litre V6 form.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #125,763 of 153,114
Sep 4, 2023 at 6:00 PM Post #125,764 of 153,114
First car was a 1969 Toyota Corolla 4-door. Got over 40 miles per gallon, light enough that 4 friends could lift it onto a snowbank to surprise me when i came out of school. I had a 1972 triumph spitfire that my father and I re-built the engine from the block up, new top put on and totaled by me 3 weeks later, one of the only regrets in my life

My ex's father bought a 1958 Cadillac El Dorado Bearritz convertible for 1K in 1959 from a dentist who was into the bookies, car went for over 8K with the options (7,410 base 78,379.60 in 2023 dollars). Ex still has it (was offered over 100K by a collector at one time). I used to take 5 kids for ice cream if they helped me with yard work, they could all fit in the back seat. High-beam detector on the dashboard, radio scanner foot button. When he bought the car he had to cut 2 holes in the garage wall for the bullets in the front allowing him to be able to close the garage door.
I now have daily struggles with neck pain as a result of some ^%&*wit running into the back of my Spit outside Man U's football ground whilst stopped at a red light some 40 years ago. If I had known what was to come, I would have had him hung, drawn and quartered. Fun but flawed car!

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:03 PM Post #125,765 of 153,114
Great new album... helping with the (endless) paperwork/ course design.

Never saw the picture before listening by the way - simply great music.

dirt woman blues.jpg

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:25 PM Post #125,766 of 153,114
I ended up being 366 in the draft, friends were like number 4 or 27 and new they best pick a service after school. As best I recall they took people down to about number 250 or so.
I was eligible in the last year of the draft (1972?). My number was 90, which the year before would have been called. However, we pulled out of Vietnam, and if I recall correctly (probably not, LOL), they only went to 13.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:27 PM Post #125,767 of 153,114
Amazon Music Unlimited seems to allow Loudness Normalization Off.

Switching from a broadcast TV at -24 LUFS to YouTube at -13 LUFS is a whopping 11dB loudness increase.
Yeah, I think most of them that use it also have a setting to disable it. Checking with identical masterings, Qobuz doesn't seem to use it for the web player, but I do see some reports that they've implemented it somewhere (?). At any rate, I can't find a setting to turn it on or off on the web player or the Android client. Youtube Music also doesn't seem to expose a setting for it on their web player or on their Android client.

With 24-bit output, I think there are good arguments for and against enabling it depending on your listening habits. If you're mostly switching around different albums or shuffling stuff from the streaming service, then it probably makes sense to leave it on. If you switch a lot between streaming, CDs, and files, then you'll still have to make some manual volume adjustments, but I suspect they'd be smaller than the big gap between a streaming service normalized to -16 LUFS and CDs that just play back at full volume.

Sep 4, 2023 at 6:56 PM Post #125,769 of 153,114
All streaming services (audio and video) have some sort of LKFS level they recommend for the content you as the publisher want to have hosted by them. The recommended levels are different depending on the streaming service, and they vary somewhat. Spotify's recommended level, for example, is slightly "louder" than what Apple Music recommends.

It is up to you as the publisher if you want to adhere to their recommendation by lowering a track or movie's overall volume level in your own mix. If you don't, they will adjust your content either during processing of the files before publishing, or by applying an additional volume offset during playback in addition to the device's or app's own volume setting. (Usually the latter, but don't rely on that.)

So, depending on whether the label or studio decided to adjust the levels in the mix or which streaming service or source medium you use, your resulting loudness can never be expected to be equal between them. It doesn't matter if all sources are digital and were created from the same master.

I'm also not sure if it even matters. As long as the content sounds good, and as long as the volume adjustment DSP is being done in the least lossy way the laws of physics allow, who cares what that file/track/movie's LKFS level is.

And for everything else, there's always CD/DVD/BluRay.

Meanwhile, this afternoon's office soundtrack is…

1693868885957.png

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #125,770 of 153,114
Sweet! And honestly, there's nothing there that looks even remotely unsafe to me. Nader said "Unsafe at any speed." Zero is a speed, right? :laughing:
I'm not one for denigrating others, but the research for that book was.. let's say... a bit on the light side. The Corvair tested in his book had tires inflated to 30lbs front and rear. Recommended is 15 front 30 rear. Nader is perfectly correct in pointing out running 30 front dangerously imbalanced the car. RTFM

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 7:34 PM Post #125,771 of 153,114

1693868885957.png
I used to play the Peter Gunn theme song when I was deep into coding.

My current favorite theme song is the one from Person of Interest, whenever John was up to something. Need a copy of that...

Sep 4, 2023 at 7:47 PM Post #125,772 of 153,114
Back on topic. My first car was my Dad's 54' Plymouth Savoy, stick shift on the column, what a tank. A drunk totaled it while it was parked in front of my girlfriends house in Roslyn.
I replaced it with, probably, my favorite car of all time. A 58' Chevy Impala 2-door in black with a black interior, automatic trans and split bench seat. A superior vehicle for dating. My younger brother ran it into the ground while I was in the Army. Every car I've owned since has just been a car, including my 2002 BMW.
1693871521624.png

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 7:49 PM Post #125,773 of 153,114
It's ironic that digital (streaming) has become even more tweaky and complicated than vinyl playback.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 8:56 PM Post #125,775 of 153,114

Mancini was a major influence on Walter Becker & Donald Fagen’s music (Steely Dan). Peter Gunn is such an iconic piece of music, one of the first thing we tried on guitar when I was a kid.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back