Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 4, 2023 at 12:11 PM Post #125,731 of 155,168
Green. :beerchug:

B600B482-0D7E-4747-B108-AD21FD2ACFBE.jpeg

Sep 4, 2023 at 12:48 PM Post #125,732 of 155,168
Sep 4, 2023 at 1:23 PM Post #125,733 of 155,168
Unless your computer OS or player OS has volume applied, or unless you're playing a different master off of streaming, or unless streaming is applying volume normalization, the output from any Modi that has more than one input will be the same from any input (USB, optical, or coax).

Can easily be confirmed on any audio analyzer--0dB sine = 2V RMS for all modern Modis, since at least Modi 3. Same for MMB 1 and 2.
That’s what I thought. Going to have to see if volume normalization is the culprit.

Sep 4, 2023 at 2:14 PM Post #125,734 of 155,168
I am to a point where removing my headphones and listening to my speakers makes little difference to my ears but it took me several years to achieve that combination, and some remarkable transducers. 😄

How do you overcome the "in your head between your ears" effect of headphones?
Now, what can done to separate the on-topic and off topic posts? Can it be done? Some ideas and some comments

1. Spin off the off-topic posts to a new thread.
Sounds like a simple solution. But, I think there is a risk that it could "break the thread." Imagine instead of a forum, we all go to a bar, like Cheers, US TV sitcom show from last century. And one day it is decided that Cheers is for drinking beer, wine, and spirits. If you want to engage in something else, you are now required to go to another location. What percent of people who should go to the new place will never make it there? Some find change hard to deal with. Some want to do both, on and off topic. Conflicted, they dump all thier Schiit gear and move to the Zen retreat that Leonard Cohen retreated to. The Cheers location might no longer be profitable, and fizzles and dies. Maybe there isn't enough on-topic posting on this to keep it going? The world would be minus the unique, zany flavor of the thread as it is. I have seen other forums where there is a clamp down on off-topic posts. Although there is a rational reason for doing so, the implementation oft reeks of oppression, and oft of oppression by conformity. Ever notice how people who try to require conformity always choose the lowest common denominator as the standard? I want to be able to put Pink Flamingos on my lawn. I don't even want a lawn! I want a xeriscape surreal zen garden!
[Excuse me while I look for my meds...]

2. Flag or label all posts as a. on-topic, b. off-topic, or c. mixed.
There is a problem I see right away. This might take computers or something make it work. When going to the forum, you can choose to see only the posts you want to see. But that requires all posts to be labeled.
The implementation will be difficult, but not impossible. When someone makes a post and presses the post button, they have to assign one of the 3 labels. I wonder how much it would cost Head-Fi to get some programmers in to make it happen?

What is "off topic" on this thread anyway? I see no need for change, I like the freewheeling nature of this forum. I have learned a lot, and even had new IRL experiences because of it. It does not trigger my OCD to see a BBQ post even though as a vegetarian I have no interest in that portion of the sine wave*. I just skip to the next post.

This is a space we have built, with Jason's tolerance. People new to the forum who arrive with preconceptions in place are welcome, but they fit in better if they grok the vibe before trying to impose those preconceptions onto a pre-existing group.

As always, YMMV: so far I am digging the miles I have put into this online experience of community and am enjoying the journey.

* Now if we had a BBQ pizza digression, I'd be right in there... 😋😋

Sep 4, 2023 at 2:16 PM Post #125,735 of 155,168
Ditto on organ concerts! My dad had a Wurlitzer at home (cue kids jokes 'Dad's in the lounge playing with his organ') and I moved back home for a while after mum died. Dad and I would go out to a lot of concerts from local players to greats like Carlo Curly all over the north. There were (are???) a surprising number of private pipe organs as well as those in concert halls and churches.

We had one in my school. Used for church music of course, but good enough to enjoy and leave a lasting impression.

Sep 4, 2023 at 2:25 PM Post #125,738 of 155,168
How do you overcome the "in your head between your ears" effect of headphones?

What is "off topic" on this thread anyway? I see no need for change, I like the freewheeling nature of this forum. I have learned a lot, and even had new IRL experiences because of it. It does not trigger my OCD to see a BBQ post even though as a vegetarian I have no interest in that portion of the sine wave*. I just skip to the next post.

This is a space we have built, with Jason's tolerance. People new to the forum who arrive with preconceptions in place are welcome, but they fit in better if they grok the vibe before trying to impose those preconceptions onto a pre-existing group.

As always, YMMV: so far I am digging the miles I have put into this online experience of community and am enjoying the journey.

* Now if we had a BBQ pizza digression, I'd be right in there... 😋😋
It is more about the sound than the headphone effect to me. In my setup with the right volume levels I can go from one to the other without much discernible change. Great use of the word “grok” by the way.😉 Early sixties novel Stranger in a Strange Land by Robert A. Heinlein. Grok and Water Brothers came from that novel.

A152CFCC-5703-4B90-9698-4C67B03C7917.jpeg

I will have a sip of this with music later.🤪

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 2:43 PM Post #125,739 of 155,168
1968 for me then off to college in the South. I changed schools and was nearly drafted and faced OCS before getting into another school. First time in history they were drafting for the Marines. Even today if you search for greatest rock albums of all times you will find many from that period toward the top. My first car was a turbocharged Corvair Spyder.😉

The first car that was "mine" was a 2-door 1968 Buick LeSabre hand-me-down. My dad said it would help me learn to maintain a car. He was partly right about that... It would idle at 80mph on the highway, foot off the gas. I put a lot of miles on that 350 v8, before the rust got it.

Sep 4, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #125,740 of 155,168
Oh yes!
I graduated high school in 1967, had a motorcycle, a 1965 Triumph TR-4A very used. Headed to community college, "taking" electrical courses....and got my first brand new 8 track tape deck!! Yahoo!

The first motorcycle I bought was a 1976 Triumph Bonneville, slightly used and not really running, in 1980. I kept it until somebody booted in the garage door during Covid and scarpered off with it. That one taught me how how to maintain motorcycles: "Triumph: making mechanics out of mere mortals since 1902." 😄😄

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #125,741 of 155,168
My first car was a Yellow 76 Chevette...

The aftermarket Car stereo (ADS/Alpine) I installed had more power than the engine!

I developed the mantra with my Buick that the car stereo must cost more than the car. That works great with beaters!

EDIT: I got a 1968 MGB at auction for $5000 around 2005. By putting Diamond brand speakers and subs, along with custom fibreglass kick panels, I just managed to honour that mantra. A couple of years later some cowboy yahoo with a lifted pickup and no idea what side view mirrors are for (you've seen those guys: the left side mirror is for resting your hand on when the driver side window is open) turned left from the right lane without checking and ran over the car.

Insurance replaced the car, but the replacement sucked and it cured me of the stereo mantra.

Last edited:
Sep 4, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #125,744 of 155,168
My system produces plenty of heat as it is.😉 25 tubes last count, Class A. My downstairs stays cool in the summer so I never notice it.
I'm pretty sure the hot air blowing around downstairs is not coming from the tubes. :laughing:

Sep 4, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #125,745 of 155,168
I had a Pinto Station wagon back in 1973 (I think it was). I bought it in response to the gasoline shortage, sky-rocketing prices, stations operating only a few hours a day, and long lines were the rule. Fortunately I had a customer who owned a station and would let me know when they were going to open so I could send a few of my employees each day in an effort to be able to keep the bank open (by law it had to be) so they could make their drives each day, and we implemented car pooling as best we could.

One of Ford's better ideas was to use rubber, instead of metal for the "U" brackets that held up the exhaust piping. I was coming down the northeast extension of the Pa Turnpike on a hot sunny day when the rubber failed at a key point by the gas tank and the tail pipe fell down. If it had fallen off completely that would have been fine, but noooo... I heard the sound of grinding metal and my first thought was, WTH, this car has less than 30,000 miles on it for the universal to fail. Then I saw a massive stream of sparks flying when I looked in my rear view window. I pulled over but was unable to break off the tail pipe which would have solved the issue. I had a the wagon full of people for that day trip so I had cleaned out all the stuff that could have been of help to me in this scenario, from the back. I ended up taking my pants off and tied the dragging tailpipe to the rear bumper.

I got the exhaust system repaired the next day, and traded the car in the day after that.
I had a Vega when I went to college. The only car where efficiency was measured by the quart rather than the gallon -- around 25 MPG of gas and around 200 miles per quart of oil. :laughing:

Happened on a well-used '72 Mercury Capri for a nice price. V-6, 4 barrel carb, and true dual exhaust from the factory. Not huge horsepower, but light as a feather and it scooted along pretty nicely. Drove that car for almost 6 years and it had over 150k miles on it when I traded it. That was almost unheard of for cars back then without major work.

1693856099477.png

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back