Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Sep 1, 2023 at 2:13 AM Post #125,386 of 150,906
Just got home from hospital and despite some slow moving, I'm feeling better in some ways already. Probably would have developed spinal stenosis as a facter of genetics and age anyway. But when young in rock and folk/rock audio, hauling speakers, amps and sound boards between home and gigs to gigs it'a wonder I have a back left at all. Been many years now in pain and now some relief is in sight! A month of rebuilding muscles coming up.
And you know, my unmarried wife is a great cook, for sure, but shut my mouth bad talking about hospital food. It wasn't bad at all!
And I don't know what the insurance co will really end up paying, but the estimates I saw for one night in, the surgery, the doctors and misc fees, could buy all Shiit sells as a package three to four times.
Health care. Hmmm

Thanks to all who wished me well. I do appreciate it!
10 years back or so, a pretty serious health issue kept me in the hospital for just under a month, with a major, emergency surgery in the middle.

The bill for solely the room & board, medication and nursing (so no docs, no surgeon, no anesthesiologists, no imaging) was over $500k before insurance. All in, it was over $1 million, pre-insurance.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 4:10 AM Post #125,390 of 150,906
Analog tape? Please god no…
Indeed, too much noise. In the 80s I bought a stereo VHS recorder/player and made some very nice radio recordings, much better than cassette but still ... too much hassle, and how to find that nice part of the recording. But nice to pass time as a teenager :)

Sep 1, 2023 at 4:37 AM Post #125,391 of 150,906
Today is September 1st, the 1st of the "...ber" months and it's officially the start of Christmas in the Philippines.
I work with a lot of folks over there, and today it's Green, Red and White as the dress theme and Xmas carols are already playing in the foyer of one of our buildings.
NOOOOOOOOOO !!!!!!! for me Christmas starts on Dec 24th and ends on Dec 26th - honestly

Sep 1, 2023 at 7:47 AM Post #125,393 of 150,906
That is a very cool render!

In other news, two things:

1. There will be another run of Mjolnir 3 so we can have 230V compatibility. The current run probably has 2-3 weeks left before it's out. The next run is 8-10 weeks out. We're still investigating silver; not sure on that one yet. Call it a maybe.

2. Things are changing on the Yggdrasil side. OG is not super long for this world, because the AD5791 DACs have gone so high in price it's not worth making them anymore (even if we could get them, which so far is iffy). As in, OG might have to go well above $3K in order to continue with AD5791s. So, if you want an OG, don't wait too long. In addition, we'll be doing a short run of "MIB," or "More is Better," using the DAC10011B. This is not the DAC10011A. This is a whole new thing that improves performance at 20kHz by 45 dB. Yes, that's forty-five, not a misprint. It's a different league. A few protos have been circulating and people seem to like them. Look for that late this month or early next month.

And finally, if you're at the NC meet, I'll see you there!

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Sep 1, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #125,394 of 150,906
Sep 1, 2023 at 8:01 AM Post #125,396 of 150,906

Dire Straits guitarist Jack Sonni dies age 68​

:frowning2:

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:19 AM Post #125,397 of 150,906
So, Yggdrasil OG becomes a classic and much desired, un-obtanium DAC. I owned 2 OG's before my hearing ran into serious issues and I sold most all of my Schiit and other gear. Over 5 years and comparisons to other DAC's I found no other DAC as satisfying. When I bought my Wadia DAC and Transport back in the 90's I finally felt CD reproduction had finally come of age. When I bought my first Yggdrasil I felt my CD's had become music.

Last edited:
Sep 1, 2023 at 8:22 AM Post #125,398 of 150,906
That is a very cool render!

In other news, two things:

1. There will be another run of Mjolnir 3 so we can have 230V compatibility. The current run probably has 2-3 weeks left before it's out. The next run is 8-10 weeks out. We're still investigating silver; not sure on that one yet. Call it a maybe.

2. Things are changing on the Yggdrasil side. OG is not super long for this world, because the AD5791 DACs have gone so high in price it's not worth making them anymore (even if we could get them, which so far is iffy). As in, OG might have to go well above $3K in order to continue with AD5791s. So, if you want an OG, don't wait too long. In addition, we'll be doing a short run of "MIB," or "More is Better," using the DAC10011B. This is not the DAC10011A. This is a whole new thing that improves performance at 20kHz by 45 dB. Yes, that's forty-five, not a misprint. It's a different league. A few protos have been circulating and people seem to like them. Look for that late this month or early next month.

And finally, if you're at the NC meet, I'll see you there!
Well at least TI is not sleeping here!
Mouser has them listed for $76.45 each or a 1,000 of them for $76,450 !!
R2R ladder architecture ??
1693570850526.png

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #125,399 of 150,906
So, Yggdrasil OG becomes a classic and much desired, un-obtanium DAC. I owned 2 OG's before my hearing ran into serious issues and I sold most all of my Schiit and other gear. Over 5 years and comparisons to other DAC's I found no other DAC as satisfying. When I bought my Wadia DAC and Transport back in the 90's I finally felt CD had finally come of age. When I bought my first Yggdrasil I felt my CD's had become music.
The OG Yggy is going to become like those ancient AVR's of the 70's etc...Pioneer, Sansui, Macintosh etc...gosh how history repeats itself...
A great time to be in this crazy hobby!

Alex

Sep 1, 2023 at 8:33 AM Post #125,400 of 150,906
So, Yggdrasil OG becomes a classic and much desired, un-obtanium DAC. I owned 2 OG's before my hearing ran into serious issues and I sold most all of my Schiit and other gear. Over 5 years and comparisons to other DAC's I found no other DAC as satisfying. When I bought my Wadia DAC and Transport back in the 90's I finally felt CD had finally come of age. When I bought my first Yggdrasil I felt my CD's had become music.
The Yggdrasil platform is extremely flexible (the only truly modular DAC, 9 years old, still going strong in a world of FOTM).

No looking backwards. We will exceed the past.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back