Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Aug 10, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #123,376 of 152,830
Your input is certainly welcome!
He usually has a very comprehensive Catalogue, accessible from the menu bar ... more tubes than "you can shake a stick at" !!

Aug 10, 2023 at 3:15 PM Post #123,377 of 152,830
He usually has a very comprehensive Catalogue, accessible from the menu bar ... more tubes than "you can shake a stick at" !!
The site looks familiar, I may have ordered Mundorf caps from there some years back.🤪

Aug 10, 2023 at 3:17 PM Post #123,378 of 152,830
What a super post about the English language ... I wholeheartedly agree

I love all the idioms and expressions in English, so much so that I developed an online daily phrase puzzle game (called FRAZE) ... I don't know whether it's 'legal' for me to post its web address ... it's FREE ...

https://fraze.fun

Developed in the South West of France ... played around the world
Kudos to @Charente for FRAZE, a brilliant idea, well executed.
I'm reminded of the many non-native speakers I worked with over the years. I particularly enjoyed sharing idoms with them. It was fun watching some QA engineers from India puzzling out "knuckle head". Many of them spoke English very well, and interpreting idioms in context was usually possible for them. The absence of context makes the FRAZE game that much more challenging.
I'll add, sheepishly and without excuse (as there is none), that I am a monoglot...

Last edited:
Aug 10, 2023 at 3:50 PM Post #123,379 of 152,830
Can the chip scale atomic clock put an end to jitter? Or at least, the clock aftermarket :) ?

Also, live music is the most cost effective way to "reset" one's hearing, IMO. Finding live, unprocessed, unamplified music can be a challenge. Two places I know for a fact: symphony halls and opera performances (not live-streamed!).

Or the busker outside my local, the Ship and Anchor. Shows up around 8 or 9 every night and plays for beer(?) money. No amplification and you're guaranteed a reset. Perhaps not a good reset. 😇😇 but a good reminder of what an acoustic guitar and the human voice -really- sound like...*

*and a reminder it's not always good lol

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:12 PM Post #123,380 of 152,830
Kudos to @wout31
20230810_140927.jpg

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:18 PM Post #123,381 of 152,830
STL files are what you export from FreeCAD, Fusion360 or other modeling software and feed to the slicer software like Cura. This software will translate it into G-code, the instructions your 3D printer understands, no matter what brand or size.
If you want to mill from aluminium, you need STEP files. These can be fed to CNC milling machines. This also translates to G-code.
STL and STEP can be seen as the inverse of each other. The first one adds (plastic layers), the second removes (from a solid block). The result can be the same form.

Thanks for the clarification. Is it possible to convert STL files to STEP? Just curious, no intention of milling a solid block of unobtanium or unaffordium to make a raspi case, lol...

Aug 10, 2023 at 4:55 PM Post #123,382 of 152,830
Thanks for the clarification. Is it possible to convert STL files to STEP? Just curious, no intention of milling a solid block of unobtanium or unaffordium to make a raspi case, lol...
STL is the original stereolithography format - it contains geometry only, as faceted surfaces. There is a STEP data class for faceted data, but you'd be better off just exporting from the CAD application as STEP from the get-go - it'll be a more accurate representation of the original model.

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:09 PM Post #123,383 of 152,830
Dang, dude. Nice catch! 😍
Truly! Sounds astounding. Came with 2 matched pairs of 1960s Tesla ECC88s. Haven’t heard of them,, but they sound good. Right now running with 2 GE 5STAR 5670s.

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:21 PM Post #123,385 of 152,830
I'm glad you're enjoying you new Schiity toy. Maybe one day I'll also score a minty one and get to taste more of the beginnings of Schiit.

An hour ago FedEx dropped off my Asgard OG. I got so happy, I took it with me to the gym instead of leaving it in the house🤓. It awaits in the car.

Once I'm out of the gym, I'm heading straight to church, where I keep my Modius and several headphones.🥹

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:24 PM Post #123,386 of 152,830
When I see the remote for Loki Max with individual buttons for individual knobs it really makes me yearn for a Yggy remote with direct access to inputs. I know I’ve mentioned this before. This is the last time, I promise.

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:32 PM Post #123,387 of 152,830
When I see the remote for Loki Max with individual buttons for individual knobs it really makes me yearn for a Yggy remote with direct access to inputs. I know I’ve mentioned this before. This is the last time, I promise.

I'm missing something. Doesnt the remote for Yggy + allow a person to select their desired input? Like Bifrost 2 does?

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:33 PM Post #123,388 of 152,830
Likely wants to go from 1 input directly to another without cycling through inputs in between.

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:38 PM Post #123,389 of 152,830
That Loki Max is freakin' fancy! 🤓

Aug 10, 2023 at 5:44 PM Post #123,390 of 152,830
Yessir. We all do.

I'm pretty sure a while back when I read the wikipedia page on "Audiophile" there was a passage about how an audiophile is somebody who wants to hear sound reproduced as close to the original source as possible. I remember thinking, "Umm, I don't know about that."
Their definition of "original source" is so wide as to be meaningless, although I have read and heard this before. If they mean the "original source" is sitting in front of a performer they must consider how far away, what angle, wall reflections, floor reflections, ceiling reflections, and more.
I've read where "original source" meant sitting in the recording studio. All of the above applies to that.
If the "original source" refers to being inside the control room, well.....
The mics, position of the mics, room itself, mixing board, moniters, effects and then that room make it as far away from the "original source" as you can get.
In spite of all that... whether live in a room, or in a recording studio, or the control room, a good performance can still sound fantastic. But "original source" is misleading. Audiophiles... I just like good music. As always, YMMV.
Rant over.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back