Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2023 at 11:43 AM Post #122,326 of 149,579
As an owner of more than 20 pieces of Schiit from Sys to one of the very first Yggys and original Lyr, (some of which due to obsolescence is in the landfill) I've experienced everything from painted steel tops to currently having four different shades of silver sitting next to each other.

I can accept that.

I do not understand the argument of why if I purchase a silver Urd I shouldn't expect it to look as pictured on the web page. If it's noticably different from as advertised, the "just live with it because it works" sentiment is not a way to build a reputation.

Just my 2¢. No argument intended. :)

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:01 PM Post #122,327 of 149,579
Snarky Puppy on Quaaludes??

Nah, just very different creatures with shared genetics.

I honestly wanted to enjoy Snarky Puppy because of the name alone. Nothing I heard from them ever clicked with me, although the talent was obvious. I have enjoyed music by Charlie Hunter featuring SP members, however.

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:12 PM Post #122,329 of 149,579
I had a CD player, I think it was a Rotel 855 ???. It had a moderately large red plastic locking screw. IIRC it was made so you could remove it or replace it with fingers. It was obviously marked. I think you were advised to put it back in when moving the player or shipping it.

Edit: this post was written before I read the prior post by [I]Erratic Gravy[/I]. Could be they both used a CD spinning assembly sourced from the same manufacturer?
Both players use a Philips mechanism, as do the Marantz players I’ve got in storage, which also use those big red transit locks.

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:34 PM Post #122,330 of 149,579
are other USB inputs connected when this is happening?
No. Urd's USB inputs are not connected, and Urd is connected to my OG Yggy (Unison & Analog 2) with a 1.5M AudioQuest Carbon USB-C to USB-B.

It's frustrating, because Urd generally sounds so good, I mean amazingly good. Then, out of nowhere, the audio output shifts to being brittle, hissy, static-y - like a weird metallic phase shift. Hi @cschock - tagging you here bc you mentioned this this is happening to your Urd, also.

And then suddenly, it's fine again. I'm going to write up a SR on schiit.com. Would love to hear that it's a cable problem. :)

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:44 PM Post #122,331 of 149,579
No. Urd's USB inputs are not connected, and Urd is connected to my OG Yggy (Unison & Analog 2) with a 1.5M AudioQuest Carbon USB-C to USB-B.

It's frustrating, because Urd generally sounds so good, I mean amazingly good. Then, out of nowhere, the audio output shifts to being brittle, hissy, static-y - like a weird metallic phase shift. Hi @cschock - tagging you here bc you mentioned this this is happening to your Urd, also.

And then suddenly, it's fine again. I'm going to write up a SR on schiit.com. Would love to hear that it's a cable problem. :)
Try a different cable. If it doesn't happen, it's a cable problem.

If it happens in the same place on the same CD or CDs, it's a CD problem. There may or may not be something that we can do to make Urd more tolerant of bad discs, but it cruises through my badly scratched 80's stuff, so color me surprised.

If it happens randomly on different CDs in different places, let us know and we'll have a look.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Jul 26, 2023 at 12:47 PM Post #122,332 of 149,579
Micron accuracy? Hell no! But say 500µ (which is 2 orders of magnitude worse) yeah! :)
20 thousandths on a 50 thousandths gap is very doable. And also very visible. We'll be doing better than that. But not perfect.

Can we put this topic to bed?

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:53 PM Post #122,333 of 149,579
Thank you @Jason Stoddard - will try another cable this evening. Appreciate the response!
I'll hold off on submitting a SR until I try another cable.

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:55 PM Post #122,334 of 149,579
Cleaned up some posts. Speculation on shimming, locking, sliding, tolerances and stuff like that has already been discussed at length internally where relevant (there is no transport lock, for example, adjustment is built in to the design as noted, and the drawer tray is precision machined and fits in only one place). Bottom line, we'll make sure everyone is either happy with the way their drawer looks or gets their money back.

Just to reiterate: if you are having issues with your product (no matter what it is), please contact us and let us know, and we'll get it taken care of.

Last edited:

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:37 PM Post #122,336 of 149,579
On a fun note, my Aeon & Jotunheim combo has arrived!

Of course, it came just as I was getting ready to leave the house. Now I am sitting in meetings the rest of the day so I won't get to open it until later this evening. Can't wait to hear these.

Schiit_DCA_Combo.jpg

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:42 PM Post #122,337 of 149,579
On a fun note, my Aeon & Jotunheim combo has arrived!

Of course, it came just as I was getting ready to leave the house. Now I am sitting in meetings the rest of the day so I won't get to open it until later this evening. Can't wait to hear these.

Schiit_DCA_Combo.jpg
Hoping to see even more impressions about this combo in the coming months. I've been pondering the Noires for over a month now, but as I'm unable to listen without buying, have been reluctant due to reports of utter lack of dynamics. It appears from a frequency response/tuning perspective, they align with my tastes, however.

Jul 26, 2023 at 2:49 PM Post #122,338 of 149,579
Hoping to see even more impressions about this combo in the coming months. I've been pondering the Noires for over a month now, but as I'm unable to listen without buying, have been reluctant due to reports of utter lack of dynamics. It appears from a frequency response/tuning perspective, they align with my tastes, however.
My experience with the Aeon 2C and Aeon 2 Noires is that they need decent power and if you don't power them right, they will come off dead. I'd never heard them with a Jot2 but if I was a betting man, I'd bet they sound great with it.

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:06 PM Post #122,340 of 149,579
the "just live with it because it works" sentiment
I may be the only one who has said that. Schiit certainly has not, Jason offered to repair or refund money.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back