Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 26, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #122,311 of 151,580
Dupe, sorry…

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 12:18 AM Post #122,312 of 151,580
Or shimming of the drive attachments to the chassis, at assembly time by Schiit, of course.
🤔……👍……😈……
E609411E-ADE6-4809-9D48-74F58DC50E80.jpeg

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:47 AM Post #122,314 of 151,580
🤔……👍……😈……E609411E-ADE6-4809-9D48-74F58DC50E80.jpeg
Lol! Though this is a straight-up sledge, it reminds me of something I’ve always wanted to see in a TV (or book) murder mystery/police procedural… a murder committed witha dead blow hammer. No particular reason, just want somebody to take off and run with “dead blow“ I guess…

Jul 26, 2023 at 12:52 AM Post #122,315 of 151,580
Thank you @cschock - that is bizarre - not sure that I have a 2 meter digital AES cable, but I will find one and try it.
(Oh wait, yes I do... OK. Need to unplug the AURALiC because it's been using that connection to Yggy...)

In the end, if this is an "only USB" issue, I'll need to try new cables (a brand-new AudioQuest Carbon is my current cable - it should NOT be defective at that price point).
And if it continues to act up when connected to my Unison Yggy via USB with a different cable, Urd is going to have to take a short trip back to Valencia...

...but I'll miss him while he's gone. <g>

are other USB inputs connected when this is happening?

Jul 26, 2023 at 3:48 AM Post #122,316 of 151,580
I received my ZMF Auteur Classics (marblewood) today, and the closest system to me after unboxing is an Asgard 2 & Bifrost 2 combo..... hot damn is this a great combo....USB, Qobuz, high gain at the moment....

I'll get to yggy, gumby, mimby, rag2, piety, & incubus later. For now, good lord does this setup hit alot of marks!

The best Schiit is the Schiit you are enjoying right now..

This is my first experience with ZMF, and well, I get the hype... DCA Aeon Noires were/are high on my list to buy & try, and after recent posts by @ArmchairPhilosopher FOMO was circling the boat.... but those can wait....

PXL_20230725_034333673.jpg

The seahorse cases are fricking sweet!!

For all the bargain hunters out there, from time to time it pays to email companies whose gear you are interested in and see what they have available as b-stock, c-stock, scratch and dent, refurb etc.

These cans have a slight crack/split in the wood of one cup. Looks to have been stabilized with epoxy before shipping to me.. Zach from ZMF apparently measures the cans before shipping which is very cool...

Bring on MJ3!

+1 for ZMF & Schiit. I’ve had Atticus, Verite Closed and now Atrium Closed. Currently listening through Bifrost 2 and Ragnarok 1. Suberb stuff.

Who knows what the future might bring, but I’m liking the idea of Syn-based multichannel system for gaming, and a separate music listening station. I might even skip the five-channel power amp, and go back to using Genelec.

Jul 26, 2023 at 4:02 AM Post #122,317 of 151,580
Is it sacrilegious that I am really really enjoying Dua Lipa through the ZMFs, Rag 2, Yggy OG?
I dunno, are you levitating? THAT could be a problem...

Jul 26, 2023 at 5:34 AM Post #122,318 of 151,580
My Musical Fidelity A308CR CD player has the lock-down screw, too. There were stickers on the unit stating that failing to release the lock-down would likely damage the transport on power-up... and it is only accessible from the bottom of the (40 lb) chassis. Even better, it wasn't mentioned at all in the manual... if the sticker was removed and the transport was locked, it could be a fairly expensive oopsie.

By the way, that thing still sounds expensive, even with its internal DAC and SE connections to my preamp. As a transport, it's super good (or at least it was, until I got Urd). :)
I still have a fully working 1991/2 Philips CD850mk2 player - that has large red plastic twist and remove locks underneath that sit very proud of the feet so it would wobble a great deal if not removed - the cool thing is it has recessed slots to stow them for later use underneath too !! Brilliant and simple

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 8:13 AM Post #122,319 of 151,580
I vaguely remember dvd players had a shipping screw that needed to be removed upon opening.
I had a CD player, I think it was a Rotel 855 ???. It had a moderately large red plastic locking screw. IIRC it was made so you could remove it or replace it with fingers. It was obviously marked. I think you were advised to put it back in when moving the player or shipping it.

Edit: this post was written before I read the prior post by [I]Erratic Gravy[/I]. Could be they both used a CD spinning assembly sourced from the same manufacturer?

Last edited:
Jul 26, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #122,320 of 151,580
If you're expecting 100%, micron accuracy--no. Yours was whomper-jawed, but the last photo posted here is probably acceptable.

Bonus fun fact: it will look misaligned at any angle other than straight on. This is the optical reality of every product.

Sorry to be a realist, but consider the tolerance stack of bottom metal, powder coat, top metal, front subchassis, front tray cover, and drive (by far the biggest variance, and we have 0% control over that). We've designed in wiggle room on the bottom chassis for drive alignment (hence the different screws for the drive). That was what I was wondering if it was shifting when shipping, or if the bottom chassis was actually deforming from "throwers" at the shipping companies. Looks like there's a small issue with that, which we are working on correcting. We had a big meeting on this today and the reality is we can get them "very good" but not perfect. Hopefully that's enough.

But absolute perfection? Ah, no. Again. Sorry. Happy to take it back and try another shot at it, or refund all.
@Jason Stoddard, a suggestion: if not already done, some thin same shaped foam/soft carton between the space of the tray cover and the chassis to keep it in place during transport.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:39 AM Post #122,324 of 151,580
If you're expecting 100%, micron accuracy--no. Yours was whomper-jawed, but the last photo posted here is probably acceptable.

Bonus fun fact: it will look misaligned at any angle other than straight on. This is the optical reality of every product.

Sorry to be a realist, but consider the tolerance stack of bottom metal, powder coat, top metal, front subchassis, front tray cover, and drive (by far the biggest variance, and we have 0% control over that). We've designed in wiggle room on the bottom chassis for drive alignment (hence the different screws for the drive). That was what I was wondering if it was shifting when shipping, or if the bottom chassis was actually deforming from "throwers" at the shipping companies. Looks like there's a small issue with that, which we are working on correcting. We had a big meeting on this today and the reality is we can get them "very good" but not perfect. Hopefully that's enough.

But absolute perfection? Ah, no. Again. Sorry. Happy to take it back and try another shot at it, or refund all.
This is why the $40K milled-from-a-block-of-titanium stuff gets really pricey. They (ought to) have polishers and aligners making all cracks and slots perfect. Yachts in the high end used to have the screw slots “timed”, that is when the screw tightened up at the end all the slots were horizontal. Nowadays I’m sure no screws show at all. I’ve never owned a yacht nor a $10K plus piece of stereo gear. I’m a Schiit head. But if visual perfection floats your boat it can be purchased.

Jul 26, 2023 at 10:53 AM Post #122,325 of 151,580
Lol! Though this is a straight-up sledge, it reminds me of something I’ve always wanted to see in a TV (or book) murder mystery/police procedural… a murder committed witha dead blow hammer. No particular reason, just want somebody to take off and run with “dead blow“ I guess…
Joe Pedestrian … at the crosswalk … with the Wilton …

Users who are viewing this thread

Back