Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jul 25, 2023 at 8:28 PM Post #122,296 of 151,577
I have to wonder if the URD faceplate has a bit of travel along it's mounting slot? The StreamUnlimited drive does have a long horizontal tab along it's front. If the silver faceplate slides over that, could a bit of play in it's fitment cause the misalignment some are seeing? Could the faceplate simply be straightened by hand?

urd internal 1920-2.jpg

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 8:47 PM Post #122,297 of 151,577
I have to wonder if the URD faceplate has a bit of travel along it's mounting slot? The StreamUnlimited drive does have a long horizontal tab along it's front. If the silver faceplate slides over that, could a bit of play in it's fitment cause the misalignment some are seeing? Could the faceplate simply be straightened by hand?

Or shimming of the drive attachments to the chassis, at assembly time by Schiit, of course.

Jul 25, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #122,299 of 151,577
Or shimming of the drive attachments to the chassis, at assembly time by Schiit, of course.

Whatever works...!

But, to be honest, I've been through a lot of CD players over the years, for both work and pleasure. For me, if the player did it's job, and played the disc, cosmetics were not a concern. It wasn't "that player is ugly", it was "that Schiit sounds good".

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 9:13 PM Post #122,301 of 151,577
Whatever works...!

But, to be honest, I've been through a lot of CD players over the years, for both work and pleasure. For me, if the player did it's job, and played the disc, cosmetics were not a concern. It wasn't "that player is ugly", it was "that Schiit sounds good".
I had a very early CD player given to me as a sample after they were first developed and it was a big thing back then. Now I have a couple transports I use on occasion, audio is cyclical, at least for me.

Tubes and vinyl require a commitment, I have time for that now.🤪

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 9:27 PM Post #122,302 of 151,577
+100, I can't state how lovely this thing is... it feels like it was hewn from a solid block of aluminum.

OK, I thought it was me... the same "screeching" happened to me on two discs. I stopped playback immediately, as I was afraid for my tweeters. Thought that maybe it was a defect in my Urd, but... hmmm. Will try to play said discs again this evening.

Agreed, it was well worth the wait! Thanks to everyone at Schiit!

Sadly, several discs now have exhibited the metallic noise on them but only through USB out. Connected to my Bifrost with Coax it all sounds perfect. Through USB it will exhibit the behavior. I've ordered another USB cable to see if that is the problem. I've never used the USB input to Bifrost before, so it could be that, it could be the USB output of the URD, or it could be the cable. Here is hoping it is just a faulty cable (which was a brand new Monoprice cable.) The discs played back fine on my PC DVD drive, so I ruled out that.

Last edited:
Jul 25, 2023 at 9:40 PM Post #122,303 of 151,577
Is it sacrilegious that I am really really enjoying Dua Lipa through the ZMFs, Rag 2, Yggy OG?
No, sir. It is about the music, and she is very, very listenable AFAIC.
Enjoy!

Jul 25, 2023 at 9:42 PM Post #122,304 of 151,577
Jul 25, 2023 at 9:53 PM Post #122,305 of 151,577
I vaguely remember dvd players had a shipping screw that needed to be removed upon opening.
My Musical Fidelity A308CR CD player has the lock-down screw, too. There were stickers on the unit stating that failing to release the lock-down would likely damage the transport on power-up... and it is only accessible from the bottom of the (40 lb) chassis. Even better, it wasn't mentioned at all in the manual... if the sticker was removed and the transport was locked, it could be a fairly expensive oopsie.

By the way, that thing still sounds expensive, even with its internal DAC and SE connections to my preamp. As a transport, it's super good (or at least it was, until I got Urd). :)

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:04 PM Post #122,306 of 151,577
Sadly, several discs now have exhibited the metallic noise on them but only through USB out. Connected to my Bifrost with Coax it all sounds perfect. Through USB it will exhibit the behavior. I've ordered another USB cable to see if that is the problem. I've never used the USB input to Bifrost before, so it could be that, it could be the USB output of the URD, or it could be the cable. Here is hoping it is just a faulty cable (which was a brand new Monoprice cable.) The discs played back fine on my PC DVD drive, so I ruled out that.
Thank you @cschock - that is bizarre - not sure that I have a 2 meter digital AES cable, but I will find one and try it.
(Oh wait, yes I do... OK. Need to unplug the AURALiC because it's been using that connection to Yggy...)

In the end, if this is an "only USB" issue, I'll need to try new cables (a brand-new AudioQuest Carbon is my current cable - it should NOT be defective at that price point).
And if it continues to act up when connected to my Unison Yggy via USB with a different cable, Urd is going to have to take a short trip back to Valencia...

...but I'll miss him while he's gone. <g>

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:26 PM Post #122,307 of 151,577
Hey US Blues, pretty sure that the Urd's USB electrical standard is USB 2; it's just that the plug is USB-C... FWIW.

+100, I am continuously blown away by the quality of 44.1/16 sources when using Yggy. Urd takes Redbook to another level in my system.
I get my numbers and letters with external standards confused all the time. :smirk_cat:

The quality of Redbook with this set-up is exceptional. And it's gotten better over the past week as things settle in. :smiley_cat:

Jul 25, 2023 at 10:40 PM Post #122,308 of 151,577
I vaguely remember dvd players had a shipping screw that needed to be removed upon opening.
My ancient Sony ES cd player from over 30 years ago (which has since been e-wasted) came with a rectangular foam ring that was the width of the drawer but with the bottom segment missing. To ship it safely, you'd open the drawer, stick the foam piece behind and against the drawer's front faceplate, with the short legs straddling the drawer, and close the drawer. The drawer wouldn't close all the way since it would clamp the foam piece against the panel around the slot when it withdrew into the player. So when it's in shipping mode, the drawer stuck out like 1/8-1/4 of an inch.

I guess it depends on how the drawer works what you'd use to immobilize it during shipment. I'm sure Streamunlimited has recommendations for their clients.

Jul 25, 2023 at 11:53 PM Post #122,310 of 151,577

Users who are viewing this thread

Back