Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
May 30, 2023 at 6:37 AM Post #119,281 of 148,994
You can use mpd to openhome to various endpoints. BubbleUPNP can also help to tame endpoints. I ended up using Linn software and that led to a Linn Akurate DS, which I highly recommend. I also had a SotM streamer for a bit but stopped using it because it was pre-Unison and @Baldr was right, USB sounded like @ss. The SotM was just about perfect if it weren't for USB.

Only reason I stepped away from that ecosystem was (1) album art and (2) manual tagging of classical was too onerous. I could have used Jason's URD album art method (place CD case on player) but I don't need that much exercise :-D

Those look a lot like Kali Audio speakers. The Kali sounded a bit sharp to me (class D?) and their narrow dispersion wasn't good for home theater.

@Jason Stoddard should cut a deal with them to provide decent amplification.

At this moment in time, IMO, perfection in an HT setup would be something like the Philharmonic True Minis with digital input, Schiit DACs (MMB) and amplification (GJ) at the same price as just the True Minis are. Add in some SVS/EMO wireless tech for butter cream frosting on that cake! Yum!
Didn't sound sharp at all, i heard them with Sonarwork's SoundID Reference - Dolby Atmos

May 30, 2023 at 6:47 AM Post #119,282 of 148,994
Also radio station SomaFM: Left Coast 70's

Listened via moode audio the past few tunes

This Week's Top Artists:
Steely Dan
Ambrosia
Fleetwood Mac
The Doobie Brothers
Joni Mitchell
Pages
America
Joe Walsh
Firefall
Jimmie Spheeris
Supertramp
Dire Straits
Greg Guidry
J.D. Souther
Dave Mason
Electric Light Orchestra
Terence Boylan
Laura Nyro
Ned Doheny
Dane Donohue
The Alan Parsons Project
Loggins & Messina
Karla Bonoff
Vapour Trails
Walter Egan
Wendy Waldman
Robert Palmer
Poco
Boz Scaggs
Kenny Loggins

FM4 - ORF [https://fm4.orf.at/]

May 30, 2023 at 7:03 AM Post #119,283 of 148,994
The ideal Roon setup is to run Roon on the PC or other server, with a Roon endpoint like the Pi2AES running Ropieee (for example) driving the DAC. Did you try that? PCs, unless very carefully built for the purpose, may put enough electrical noise on USB connections to affect less-well-isolated DACs, with the noise level depending on PC load -- Roon is quite demanding.
Now with AI DJ :spy:

May 30, 2023 at 8:06 AM Post #119,286 of 148,994
May 30, 2023 at 10:07 AM Post #119,287 of 148,994
Is that a preproduction Urd on top?

Also, surely I can't be the only one who at first glance, thought I saw a microwave oven :astonished:. They should provide a way to remove the handles from the PowerPlant.
Microwave oven?!? ROFL. If I did have a microwave, it would be at the listening chair (couch) along with the mini-fridge. 'Course, then I wouldn't get the exercise of trekking to the kitchen and back. (BTW, never eat buttered popcorn while playing LPs.)

And yes, that's a pre-pro Urd, courtesy of Jason. I've held off posting detailed comments before Urd goes on sale. Suffice to say I've budgeted the funds for a production version the day it hits the Schiit site. I'll even spend the extra for silver finish, after seeing the picture Jason posted of a black unit. The silver buttons, and especially the silver drawer front, really stood out. And not in a good way. Put me in mind of wearing white socks with black dress shoes. No.

The Urd arrived with no documentation whatsoever. While I surmised that the manual hadn't been written, I had to wonder if Jason wasn't setting me a challenge, or an impromptu IQ test. Referring to the lack of an open/close button. I even looked at the back, just to make sure he hadn't put it there. Took me about two minutes to discover the press-and-hold-the-stop-button routine. Did I pass?

I look forward to reading Jason's chapter on Urd, especially his technical explanation for why it sounds as it does. A transport, after all, simply reads numbers off a spinning disc. It sends that data to be converted to an analog signal, whether by an internal chip or an external DAC. No one is going to seriously dispute the effect that conversion process will have on ultimate sound quality. But what is the sound of raw numbers? I can easily imagine people arguing, forcefully, that digital data cannot have a sound and therefore - absent gross reading errors - all transports must sound identical. No doubt the same people who are certain that wire is wire, or that power conditioning is mere self-delusion. And they would be wrong.

My only regret is that I couldn't try the Unison connection, my Yggdrasil being too old. It may tell you something that I've been tempted to buy a new Ygg just to get Unison. But, do I read the tea leaves correctly, that a new Ygg with FGPA is on the horizon? Jason? Official word? And, will Schiit be selling an appropriate Unison-capable cable?

My appreciation to Jason, Denise and Elvis for allowing me to be a Schiit beta tester. If I get really good at it, will I be a master-beta tester?

May 30, 2023 at 10:11 AM Post #119,288 of 148,994
80D77DEE-374D-4219-B1E7-C07A25E5996A.jpeg

May 30, 2023 at 10:22 AM Post #119,290 of 148,994
May 30, 2023 at 10:36 AM Post #119,291 of 148,994
I can easily imagine people arguing, forcefully, that digital data cannot have a sound and therefore - absent gross reading errors - all transports must sound identical. No doubt the same people who are certain that wire is wire, or that power conditioning is mere self-delusion. And they would be wrong.
+100. Congratulations on putting together a system that allows you to readily hear the differences that others outright reject as inaudible. I recently changed the 1.5M XLRs that connect the Tyrs to my preamplifier. The difference was instantly audible - not only to me, with my expectation bias, but to two other, "non-audiophile" friends in the room. That's just one example of how wrong the "bits-is-bits" / "wire-is-wire" / "power-is-power" mindset can be... but it's pervasive in audio forums other than this one. I am sad for those people.

My only regret is that I couldn't try the Unison connection, my Yggdrasil being too old. It may tell you something that I've been tempted to buy a new Ygg just to get Unison. But, do I read the tea leaves correctly, that a new Ygg with FGPA is on the horizon? Jason? Official word? And, will Schiit be selling an appropriate Unison-capable cable?
My OG Yggy is one of the first machines with the upgraded analog circuitry and Unison. I'm really excited to re-plumb the output of my AURALiC Aries streamer, switching from the current AES/EBU connection to USB: AURALiC -> Urd -> Yggy.

The question is: will I hear a difference? :sunglasses: I'm holding back on my inevitable expectation bias for now.

My appreciation to Jason, Denise and Elvis for allowing me to be a Schiit beta tester. If I get really good at it, will I be a master-beta tester?
I saw what you did there. <g>

May 30, 2023 at 10:48 AM Post #119,292 of 148,994
The ideal Roon setup is to run Roon on the PC or other server, with a Roon endpoint like the Pi2AES running Ropieee (for example) driving the DAC. Did you try that? PCs, unless very carefully built for the purpose, may put enough electrical noise on USB connections to affect less-well-isolated DACs, with the noise level depending on PC load -- Roon is quite demanding.

Well, this is the Schiit forum. We have Unison. The PC noise issue shouldn't matter.

May 30, 2023 at 11:17 AM Post #119,294 of 148,994
The AR90s were the AR9s 'little brothers'. The 85lb each 90s were slightly shorter, and had 2 10" side firing woofers, as apposed to the 9s 12" dual woofers. Both had the same midrange drivers and tweeters. Both great speakers.

Along with my 90s, I have the 58S model, AR92s, AR5s, AR18s, and AR-1MS speakers. Oh, speakers from Infinity, Monsoon, Martin Logan, and NHT as well. So, Schiit isn't the only gear that I collect...!

4112899-b8e5e6e9-acoustic-research-ar90.jpg
Nice!
The AR5s were my first "hi end" speakers back a million years ago. I actually liked them better than the 3As in a regular size room: more coherent sounding.
My (at the time) girlfriend's father had the 3As in a large high ceilinged room (in Sea Cliff: he was one of Harry Pearson's first subscribers when The Absolute Sound was a little booklet) and they sounded great there with the AR turntable and integrated amp. But even then there sometimes seemed a hole in between the large 12" woofer and the much smaller mid-range driver, something not as apparent with the 10" woofer in the 5s.

May 30, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #119,295 of 148,994
Nice!
The AR5s were my first "hi end" speakers back a million years ago. I actually liked them better than the 3As in a regular size room: more coherent sounding.
My (at the time) girlfriend's father had the 3As in a large high ceilinged room (in Sea Cliff: he was one of Harry Pearson's first subscribers when The Absolute Sound was a little booklet) and they sounded great there with the AR turntable and integrated amp. But even then there sometimes seemed a hole in between the large 12" woofer and the much smaller mid-range driver, something not as apparent with the 10" woofer in the 5s.

I guess that's why I really like my AR58S 3-ways. Basically the same drivers as the AR3a's, but with a flatter, more extended frequency response. Plus, the crossover changed to 700 and 7500Hz, instead of 525 and 5000Hz. That pushed the woofer up a bit, to where the dome mid didn't have to extend too low. Nice deep bass and also midbass warmth. Very natural in tone.

Oh, I guess I should gift my AR5's to someone. I doubt I'll ever get around to refurbing them. Always more projects than I can handle. :head_bandage:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back