Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2023 at 8:27 AM Post #117,287 of 152,907
And yet at the bottom is where we all were, anxiously awaiting your posts. :D

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 11:10 AM Post #117,291 of 152,907
Sometimes there's not a better choice. Guess where mine is? Yup, above the fireplace. On one side of the fireplace is a hallway entry, and on the other side is a built-in cabinet/bookshelf. Would look even stupid-er parked in one of those areas. One adjacent wall is all windows, and the other has stairs with a center landing going to the 2nd floor. No go there. And the other end of the room opposite the fireplace? No wall there as it's fully open into the kitchen and breakfast nook. So just nowhere else to go with it. However:

1) I don't watch much TV, so my neck will be fine. The wife? She spends so much time looking down at her phone that equal time looking up at the TV may balance out the spinal trauma.
2) The audio room could be made into a much more TV friendly room. Not gonna happen. This should not require further explanation. :laughing:
3) The wife doesn't know that having the TV above the fireplace is verboten, and I'm not gonna tell her. She actually thought it belonged there.
4) When all else fails, rationalize.
Well said. I know plenty of people that have placed their BIG screen television above the fireplace. How? I installed them. For free. The need power there and I do not do that as I am not a licensed electrician. The wall is generally a facade of sorts and if you use your fireplace put your hand on it while it is blazing away. Did you get burned? Did you feel any real heat? Chances are...Nope. A year or so ago a friend wanted his new 65" TV above his fireplace. I told him he needed studs in that wall and power. I usually have no problem with using Hilti brand anchors but he has very young children that stand in front (as children often do) and stare up at the TV. z He and I did the installation and all went well and a year later the TV is still working and looking great. No heat problems either. Hmmmm...

Why do people want their TV there? The fireplace is often the center of a family room so it kinda sorta makes sense to them to have their "screen" there too. If you do not prefer it, fine. I do not like it much my self and told my wife I would not hang "her;s" there. Besides, the TV she uses is a 48" model that would be dwarfed by the wall and would look "odd". I put it on a stand that raises it about 10 or so inches above the cabinet it sits on and she is happy.

Like any carbon based life form, humans jump on bandwagons in a sort of a "anti-whateverthefuque the herd is running towards I will join mentality". Again, fine. Here we read of "I'm tired of the constantly changing of surround codes". I get that. I got tired too but when I was "stuck" with a very nice receiver that the people I bought it for had 45 days to pick up but never did arraign for that to happen and have me install it I put in my own setup. I paid for it. Cool. For 7 or so years now I have enjoyed Atmos and DTS and multi-channel stereo, et al. No complaints. I have set up more than a few MODEST home theaters for friends as well as multi-room audio from either Denon HEOS or Grace Digital and their table radios. People are happy. If they have a problem I look into it and so far it has always been something that got unplugged while cleaning around the AVR or in the case of why their rear channels were out: The people they paid to install it did not hook them up correctly or at all.

I do point out that if the film has no real need for the rear or even the ATMOS height speakers to be active, they will not be used until a signal is decoded by the internal DAC and the sound is sent to the speaker(s). They are fine with that. Older films from the 30s and 40s can use the "mono" or "virtual" settings but ATMOS, DTS, Dolby DD+ etc. are sensed by the AVR and used accordingly if they are present. I gave my brother and his wonderful wife a new Denon HEOS AVR-S model and set it up, ran the microphone assisted setup, found a speaker that was disconnected/or dead and other than that, they were THRILLED. I gave them two HEOS speakers, one for her shop (she is a retired goldsmith) and the other for their living room. I hope to bring them two more this year for upstairs. HEOS works just fine and the app is easy-peasy-mac-n-cheesy. I have a good friend that uses Bluesound and he likes that as much as I enjoy HEOS. Good for him! I like that Denon is (so far!) backward compatible with previous versions of their speakers!

The point of this massive missive of mine is that SYN can and should fill a need for simplicity in a home theater and music setup. I have no problem with it and think it is a great idea. If I did not I would say as much but only after I bought and set one up. Otherwise it is just my opinion of and not my experiences with the product. I like the multi-channel stereo on my AVRs. I have been playing ATMOS encoded music on my main system and it is nice. Not revelatory in any sense of the word but very N I C E. I did it because a friend asked me to try it out and I found it via my Amazon Fire Stick in the TV and asked Alexa to play some George Harrison and it was in ATMOS. Cool. Apparently someone at Amazon Music is a Harrison enthusiast because several albums are in ATMOS. But plain ol' stereo is also good. So too is "multi-channel" stereo. It is the music and the memories not the codec. The reproduction in any of the aforementioned modes can add to the listening pleasure and I have no doubt that SYN will do so too as people here have praised it and I trust them and their judgement. I am happy with what I currently have and have been so for awhile now.

It is okay to jump on a bandwagon because if what is playing is good for you then who gives an airborne intercourse what others, especially "critics" say?

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:13 AM Post #117,293 of 152,907
Must sadly note the passing of Harry Belafonte, at 96 years old. RIP.
I loved him.

I recently purchased "The Long Road to Freedom: An Anthology of Black Music" from Discogs. What a TRIUMPH of a project! So much great music that one is hard pressed to find otherwise.

Also, I have been listening to the Carnegie Hall recordings. Fantastic!

Great man, Great artist!

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:26 AM Post #117,295 of 152,907

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #117,296 of 152,907
You have not lived until you have experienced the complete wash AND dry cycle. So civilized.
I would love to put this to the test, but I will have to take your word for it as I have a permanent ostomy

Apr 25, 2023 at 12:33 PM Post #117,297 of 152,907
Holy crap!

I don’t recall hearing about Eva Cassidy until the past few months when some of you guys mentioned her. This morning I looked her up and started listening to her greatest hits album on Apple Music. I only got a few songs in before I had to buy it on vinyl. Wow! What a great voice. Thanks guys.

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:01 PM Post #117,299 of 152,907
Hello,
I am downsizing my Hifi gear a bit and am looking to sell one of my Schiit stacks and I have never bought or sold equipment on the secondary market. Can anyone please advise on the best place to list used gear online?
Thanks in advance!
eBay. Perhaps this site. Tried Audiogon and nothing moved.

Apr 25, 2023 at 1:19 PM Post #117,300 of 152,907
Hello,
I am downsizing my Hifi gear a bit and am looking to sell one of my Schiit stacks and I have never bought or sold equipment on the secondary market. Can anyone please advise on the best place to list used gear online?
Thanks in advance!

US Audio Mart is a good site for buying and selling.

Good luck...! :grinning:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back