Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:24 PM Post #117,302 of 152,544
The other one is US Audio Mart

Edit - Whoops! StimpyWan got there first!

hug-love.gif

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #117,303 of 152,544
Small and Simple

IMG_4538.jpg

Thanks to @Palidan97 and his amazing Incubus, along with Jason's support of DYI, I decided to build a 300B amplifier. Parts and a few family issues (all good) delayed completion, at least until now. I wanted to share my impressions of small vs: big. My main system consists of a Freya S into a pair of Vidars, connected to Apogee Duetta Signature Speakers, that I purchased new. Prior to this, was Sumo equipment. The system sounds great, a big lush presentation with plenty of dynamics.

The small system is the 300B amp roughly based on a JC Morrison design, with some changes developed by Stephanie at Skunkie Designs. This thing is all power supply, with a 12H choke, feeding separate L/R HV supplies. PS and Output transformers are Edcor.
300b-05.jpg

For speakers, I decided on going fullrange, avoiding any form of crossover. Inspired Pearl Acoustics, I settled on Markaudio Alpair 7.3 drivers, in a 1/4 TL cabinet. (An aside - I contemplated rebuilding the Apogee crossovers; the cost easily exceeded what I spent on the 300B and Drivers)
IMG_4768_3.jpg

This 6 Watt system compares surprisingly well with the Apogee's! Although not as dynamic, I'm really enjoying the clarity and detail of the fullrange drivers, bass extension is also very satisfying. After experimenting with dacron damping (the speakers are very well braced), I ended up placing them further back than shown in the photo, the drivers very close to the Apogee tweeter ribbons - seems to be the room's sweet spot.

A couple of curious neighbors stopped by last evening while I was listening to the 300B, both wondered what the "little speakers sounded like"! Looking forward driving these with a Gj as well.......

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 1:52 PM Post #117,305 of 152,544
The other place to sell is the AVExchange sub on reddit. https://www.reddit.com/r/AVexchange/

The other option for a fireplace installation is a VESA mount that drops the TV down a foot or two when deployed.

If the option is for the TV above the fireplace or between the speakers, I would put it between the speakers. Your speakers will sound better pulled into the room some anyway so the TV should not cause much of a problem. You can always cover it with a tapestry or something when not in use.

And a bidet is fine until you realize you didn't buy one that warms the water and it is now the middle of winter. Oh so tingly!

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:39 PM Post #117,306 of 152,544
… And a bidet is fine until you realize you didn't buy one that warms the water and it is now the middle of winter. Oh so tingly!
…. ‘frasstbite’ …. 😳🥶 ….

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:44 PM Post #117,307 of 152,544
And a bidet is fine until you realize you didn't buy one that warms the water and it is now the middle of winter. Oh so tingly!
Swash is your Huckleberry

Apr 25, 2023 at 2:45 PM Post #117,308 of 152,544
Hello,
I am downsizing my Hifi gear a bit and am looking to sell one of my Schiit stacks and I have never bought or sold equipment on the secondary market. Can anyone please advise on the best place to list used gear online?
Thanks in advance!
If you’re selling mostly headphone based system or Schiit in particular this site is very good. I have sold $30k worth at least on here.

Apr 25, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #117,311 of 152,544
Apr 25, 2023 at 4:45 PM Post #117,312 of 152,544
…. ‘frasstbite’ …. 😳🥶 ….
Curiously, I was just looking at the Tushy as a retrofit, but anything other than cold water is too complex for my taste.

I've always been known as a tight-arse, so I don't think the cold water spray is required........

Apr 25, 2023 at 4:58 PM Post #117,313 of 152,544
Curiously, I was just looking at the Tushy as a retrofit, but anything other than cold water is too complex for my taste.

I've always been known as a tight-arse, so I don't think the cold water spray is required........
… if you are tight-arsed, you don’t need ‘spray’: you need ‘jet’ !! 😯🤣🤣

Apr 25, 2023 at 5:06 PM Post #117,314 of 152,544
So the options for the Research Triangle meet are clarifying - at least a little.
It looks like September is favored for two reasons, one is Schiit have already agreed to support other meets in October and two is that in September we maaaaay get @Jason Stoddard in person.

If you haven't followed the thread for the event, please do so here: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/res...ham-chapel-hill-nc-fall-schiit-meetup.967927/

I have a handle on a location on the outskirts of Chapel Hill that has a hall and parking. I'd welcome comments on that location.

Dates of (in preferential order) look like 16, 23rd, 9th.

Comments in the thread above would be appreciated!

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back