Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 25, 2023 at 8:02 PM Post #117,331 of 153,934
I love F1, I have been watching since I can remember ('73?) when Jackie Stewart was King

1. I have Ayrton Senna stuff on my desk
  2. I still watch every race...
But:
  • Best car usually wins
  • Stupid stewards, penalties, race directors get in the way of a race
  • Too many politics (the team that whines the best wins)
  • Too much cheating (see above)
  • Too expensive (try getting tickets for Vegas GP)
So, while it still has issues NASCAR is way more competitive and they know how to provide entertainment
attended 3 F1 races at Watkins Glen 78-80, good times

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:21 PM Post #117,332 of 153,934
attended 3 F1 races at Watkins Glen 78-80, good times
I've only seen one race. The 1976 Long Beach Grand Prix. BTW, the winning car started 22nd. 😏

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:24 PM Post #117,333 of 153,934
I've only seen one race. The 1976 Long Beach Grand Prix. BTW, the winning car started 22nd. 😏
Same nowadays, the cars are so dominant they can start from the back and win

Apr 25, 2023 at 8:51 PM Post #117,334 of 153,934
Apr 25, 2023 at 8:58 PM Post #117,335 of 153,934
Small and Simple

IMG_4538.jpg

Thanks to @Palidan97 and his amazing Incubus, along with Jason's support of DYI, I decided to build a 300B amplifier. Parts and a few family issues (all good) delayed completion, at least until now. I wanted to share my impressions of small vs: big. My main system consists of a Freya S into a pair of Vidars, connected to Apogee Duetta Signature Speakers, that I purchased new. Prior to this, was Sumo equipment. The system sounds great, a big lush presentation with plenty of dynamics.

The small system is the 300B amp roughly based on a JC Morrison design, with some changes developed by Stephanie at Skunkie Designs. This thing is all power supply, with a 12H choke, feeding separate L/R HV supplies. PS and Output transformers are Edcor.
300b-05.jpg
For speakers, I decided on going fullrange, avoiding any form of crossover. Inspired Pearl Acoustics, I settled on Markaudio Alpair 7.3 drivers, in a 1/4 TL cabinet. (An aside - I contemplated rebuilding the Apogee crossovers; the cost easily exceeded what I spent on the 300B and Drivers)
IMG_4768_3.jpg

This 6 Watt system compares surprisingly well with the Apogee's! Although not as dynamic, I'm really enjoying the clarity and detail of the fullrange drivers, bass extension is also very satisfying. After experimenting with dacron damping (the speakers are very well braced), I ended up placing them further back than shown in the photo, the drivers very close to the Apogee tweeter ribbons - seems to be the room's sweet spot.

A couple of curious neighbors stopped by last evening while I was listening to the 300B, both wondered what the "little speakers sounded like"! Looking forward driving these with a Gj as well.......
I did a similar but much lower end bottlehead system with 1 way horneshoppe speakers, and was pure bliss on small jazz. Imaged beyond belief.

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #117,336 of 153,934
Rubbing is Racing :ksc75smile:

Seriously, since major changes last year, passing is actually possible
Much better than the Sunday parades of a few years ago, but still okay not great. But it is exciting to see someone other than Ferrari/Mercedes/Red Bull.

For the exact opposite racing - as in too much passing to keep up - watch IMSA or Wec endurance racing. 4 to 6 classes and 30 to 60 cars on track is great. And ask them to do it for 6, 12, or 24 hours!

Seriously, watch the first 30 minutes of this year's Sebring race. More passing there than an entire F1 season.

Apr 25, 2023 at 9:55 PM Post #117,337 of 153,934
Tushy Spa is amazing. But you get used to the cold water. Or it wakes you up, with super early mornings. I bought one before Covid and the great TP shortage. so it was nice to have an alternative to TP.
For those here that feel this subject is inappropriate? Recall the title: "Schiit Happened".

Last edited:
Apr 25, 2023 at 10:00 PM Post #117,339 of 153,934
My son lives in N. California and even though it's not exactly hot there it's not exactly cold either. I asked him how often he actually uses the fireplace(s) in his house. He said they hang the kids Xmas stockings from the mantle once a year. Uh huh, so why not move the TV down in front of it so it's at the right viewing height? "But that would cover the fireplace!" he said.
We bought what is in many ways a wonderful N. CA house built 6 years ago, many good features, but it came with a gas fireplace surmounted by a big screen, and a way-too-complicated AVR/remote/Roku/... setup with in-ceiling speakers. Since we care a lot more about good music than video, we added a really nice 2-channel system, totally separate from that madness, but I keep dreaming about simplifying the mess, just to give up with "life is too short" thoughts. Now y'all are giving me ideas, Syn-ful ideas...

Apr 25, 2023 at 10:09 PM Post #117,340 of 153,934
Apr 25, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #117,341 of 153,934
I discovered Eva when I came back to active music after about 30 years. I started listening to everything of hers I could. She was from Bowie, MD, where I live and we overlapped a few years but I didn't know about her. She was a wonderful talent and it is an incredible shame she passed so young. I didn't know about this release so it will be a great pleasure to hear.
Danny Gatton is another local-ish boy for you. Unfortunately, also no longer with us (1994, sad story).

Apr 25, 2023 at 10:38 PM Post #117,342 of 153,934
We bought what is in many ways a wonderful N. CA house built 6 years ago, many good features, but it came with a gas fireplace surmounted by a big screen, and a way-too-complicated AVR/remote/Roku/... setup with in-ceiling speakers. Since we care a lot more about good music than video, we added a really nice 2-channel system, totally separate from that madness, but I keep dreaming about simplifying the mess, just to give up with "life is too short" thoughts. Now y'all are giving me ideas, Syn-ful ideas...
You need more Schiit in your system. :smile_cat:

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:12 PM Post #117,343 of 153,934
These days I have mixed feelings about F1. It is far better than all the alternatives, but is still a long ways from being good. I mean, who the hell wants to watch cars drive in circles?! I watch every F1 race but these days I would rather watch MotoGP. Close racing, multiple teams can win, truly brave and skilled riders. Just don't even think about Formula E! Talk about doing everything wrong possible and that is F E.

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:33 PM Post #117,344 of 153,934
Tonight's Syn-full song recommendation:

Electric Eye....... Judas Priest

Apr 25, 2023 at 11:59 PM Post #117,345 of 153,934
The Dark Schiide of the force drawing you baaaaack.....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back