Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Apr 12, 2023 at 2:19 PM Post #116,446 of 153,221
For those in the area, we should have the Syn surround set up in the Schiitr as of tomorrow. That will include an LG OLED if people want to watch screen content. It's relatively small, though, so it shouldn't be terrible for music.

Oh gawd, I need to do blind listening event, Syn vs Atmos. Except I really don't want to buy and deal with a receiver/processor/bleargh.
I have a Samsung The Frame, you should consider one of those. LG are great, sadly my room is bright so I need matte.

Maybe you can get a local HT shoppe to come and help you do the "Live vs Dolby" thing? After all, they'd want to illustrate why you'd want highly encoded discrete digital channels instead of Syn :wink:

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:22 PM Post #116,447 of 153,221
Could you use a "Y RCA Cable" with a single output from the Syn to both inputs on the center channel amp?

I agree that I'd consider 2 stereo, and one mono Rekkr for the fronts, rears, and center.

Somebody REALLY needs to post a listening impression with this setup. Though I LOVE the idea of a bare bones, minimalist surround "processor"...I still suspect that there's got to be some benefit to Dolby/ATMOS etc. digital processing...

Yes, you could use a "Y RCA Cable" to the center channel amp, but I don't know the benefit of using one (other than you already own one and want to use it).

As far as listening impressions.... here you go: https://www.head-fi.org/threads/schiit-syn-surround-processor-reviews-impressions.967762/

I'm not sure anyone is suggesting the Syn is going to make Atmos obsolete. But it does provide immersive surround sound without the need to go down the Atmos path.

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:23 PM Post #116,448 of 153,221
The other problem is e-arc is not reliable.

IF it does work, it depends on the TV/receiver combo - some work, many don't.
eARC is better/more reliable than the ye olde ARC. But you'd need something newer than 2019 to use it. The upgrade merry-go-round @Jason Stoddard mentioned is not for kids....

ARC, though, is all Syn needs and that was introduced 2009 with HDMI 1.4. Should have been part of 1.0

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #116,449 of 153,221
Yes, you could use a "Y RCA Cable" to the center channel amp, but I don't know the benefit of using one (other than you already own one and want to use it).
Bi-wireable center speaker?

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #116,450 of 153,221
This is mine: also a Merkur, at full extension it's part way to shaving with a razor.

Behold the

FUTUR 700​

My preferred blades are Feather brand.

This is how I started, and also how I learned that the combo of more aggressive head/not-single-atom-wide blade was a good fit for me. It wasn't ultimately just right for me, which is why I moved on to the R41.

But aggressive head like Futur opened fairly wide, combined with an ultrasharp blade like a Feather, AND the much higher than average weight of the Futur handle, spells bloodbath for me. :anguished:

Last edited:
Apr 12, 2023 at 2:40 PM Post #116,451 of 153,221
For those in the area, we should have the Syn surround set up in the Schiitr as of tomorrow. That will include an LG OLED if people want to watch screen content. It's relatively small, though, so it shouldn't be terrible for music.

Oh gawd, I need to do blind listening event, Syn vs Atmos. Except I really don't want to buy and deal with a receiver/processor/bleargh.
Just mucking with AVRs' in itself is a black hole. Most AVRs have a dozen or more DSP settings including the "todays" surround standards...just setting this up to do a test with SYN gives me chills...

Back in the day a good 5.1 setup was really decent.
Then its 5.2, 6.1, 7.1, 8 x to n1 degree..

IMO a good 5.1 setup is about as good as it gets here.

But a Syn setup would that is a 5.1 type setup would be as good and maybe even better...for those records and cds that you want to pull or re-create stuff for a really
enjoyable listen..

But as I age, I just want to keep it SIMPLE. Less stuff wires etc...so its back to good ole REDBOOK PCM. 2 channels. Done. Mic Drop!

One thing I love about Schiit is there hey 98% of all music is PCM etc...

:>)

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #116,452 of 153,221
I'm not sure anyone is suggesting the Syn is going to make Atmos obsolete. But it does provide immersive surround sound without the need to go down the Atmos path.
Exactly this!

I just want to plug it in, twist a few knobs, and be done - I don't need to replicate the acoustics of a concert hall, or Frank's basement, or move a microphone around, or deal with REW ... I have enough audio nervosa already, keeping some facet of this hobby dead simple is not only appreciated by me, but by my entire family (who roll their collective eyeballs at me enough already)

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #116,453 of 153,221
I have a Samsung The Frame, you should consider one of those. LG are great, sadly my room is bright so I need matte.

Yeah, we have like 2 Frames in CA and 3 in Texas in our houses. They also make great computer monitors. No worries on burn-in.

We went with an LG OLED for the Schiitr because I know the OLED mafia would complain we "don't care about the system" if we didn't have an OLED. Personally I like projectors.

Schiit Audio Stay updated on Schiit Audio at their sponsor profile on Head-Fi.

https://www.facebook.com/Schiit/ http://www.schiit.com/
Apr 12, 2023 at 2:46 PM Post #116,454 of 153,221
Apr 12, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #116,455 of 153,221
Yeah, we have like 2 Frames in CA and 3 in Texas in our houses. They also make great computer monitors. No worries on burn-in.

We went with an LG OLED for the Schiitr because I know the OLED mafia would complain we "don't care about the system" if we didn't have an OLED. Personally I like projectors.
Walked into Best Buy here in Raleigh last week, to buy a soundbar so I could here dialog better with my aging ears...wound up walking out with a new Sony OLED Google TV.
My gawd the colors and clarity are really awesome..and it has a "dialog" mode! No speakers! or should I say traditional speakers...it uses the display to modulate and reproduce sounds....and their is some crafty logic on how the screen acts as a transducer to produce their simulated cinema and dolby sound stuff...magic.

Apr 12, 2023 at 2:48 PM Post #116,456 of 153,221

Definitely. OLED simply sounds better, everybody knows that.

Apr 12, 2023 at 3:06 PM Post #116,458 of 153,221
Well maybe. But one of Jason's points is that today's SOTA digital surround will be eclipsed by some newer iota of technical progress that will not play on your expensive AVR gear d'jour. Maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow, but someday and for the rest of your life.

By coincidence, my mid-lower range Yamaha AVR stopped working a month or so ago. Maybe it's just a fuse. Maybe it's not. I've been contemplating what to do about it. Not an urgent problem, as this is TV#2 and I don't watch many movies on it anymore.

Maybe I should just jump on the Syn-train.

Hmmm. Upon reflection, most of the movies I do watch on this TV are actually concert DVDs. Because I really enjoy the surround sound.

Maybe I should just jump on the Syn-train. But I said that already.

I bought a then top of the line Yamaha Aventage receiver, a number of years ago. Over $2K at the time, for my RX-A3030. I figured it would never be made obsolete, as it had composite, component, S-Video, and HDMI video support. Plus, the AVR had preamp outputs and preamp inputs for all channels. Then, within 6 months, Atmos hit...! Now, I don't even know how many generations behind my HDMI support is? I've since gone back to separates, with much better sound...! 🤪

Apr 12, 2023 at 3:07 PM Post #116,459 of 153,221

I also have a Frame tv in my living room. Great TV.

However, I did just recently upgrade to an OLED for my gaming monitor. And that process of choosing a new gaming monitor was the final straw in swearing off AVRs for PC surround sound. The HDMI passthrough of the AVRs i was looking at didnt support the variable refresh rate and high frame rate at the resolution of the newest monitors i was considering. Wasn't worth the headache. Even if they were compatible now, what about the next upgrade? At that point, i was out. But now, thanks to the Syn, ive got a fancy new monitor and great surround sound that are completely independent of one another.

Apr 12, 2023 at 3:34 PM Post #116,460 of 153,221
So long, and thanks for all the Schiit (source)

For the first time in eight years, I don't have any Schiit in my audio setups, as my last piece, a black Freya S, finds its way to a new home in Florida. From the initial Asgard 2 and Bifrost Multibit, through Jotunheim, Lyr 3, Yggdrasil, and several others, they never disappointed. Instead, they made me even more curious for interesting gear, and piece by piece they were replaced, with a bit of regret each time, but with a good feeling that someone else would enjoy them as they were replaced by more exotic items (2A3 SET amps, discrete ladder NOS DACs, transformer-based solid-state amps, ...).

This forum offers a lot more than Schiit commentary, but with the Schiit motivation gone, I'll be stopping by less frequently. I learned a lot from all of you, enjoyed the banter, and tried (sometimes unsuccessfully) to avoid techie pedantry.

Please make sure that hyperspace bypass goes elsewhere! And beware Vogon poetry.
I for one, enjoyed your techie pedantry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back