Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Mar 12, 2023 at 6:39 PM Post #113,026 of 154,986

Attachments

• Turtleview.png
    Turtleview.png
    1 MB · Views: 0
Mar 12, 2023 at 6:58 PM Post #113,031 of 154,986
WARNING: audio-related topic (possible thread derailing post ahead)

In order to hear for myself, on my system, the impact (whether big or small) of different interconnects, I built several short -30cm budget RCA interconnects to go between DAC BFM1 OG and Asgard3 (later Jot2) to compare against my current (pun intended) ones— mid 1990’s vintage XLO pro100 series star-quad (back then ~$2.00/ft unterminated so not uber expensive stuff) built with re-purposed Monster RCA’s:

Mogami 2549 shielded twisted pair, Rean NYS373 RCA plugs (warm mids and one-notey)
Belden 1505F coax / canare RCAP rca’s (warm bass & mids)
Grimm TPR shielded twisted pair, Rean NYS373 RCA (glaring upper mids / lower treble, lispy vocals).

Over several weeks, alternated between the four various cables, writing down source tracks used, cable under test, sonic impressions. Definitely found these cables to each have their own sound signature.

Differences in bulk capacitance (<60pf at these lengths) should not cause changes in steady state response at audio frequencies, so other not-yet-quantified characteristics are likely causing the audible differences.

As a further experiment, also built another set with DH Labs Studio Pro bulk wire ($14/ft unterminated, next-tier-up price class) with budget $2 Rean NYS352 RCA's (not the $40 ea cryo-treated, machined from a proprietary-copper-alloy stuff), and found it most neutral and revealing of ambient and other low-level details. For me, worth the ~$25 price delta per pair.

Between Lokius and Jot2, also tried XLR using Canare L-4E6S & belden 1800F (both these in 10ft lengths, built by Blue Jeans Cable), and again heard sonic differences,
the Belden 1800F being upper bass warm, and the Canare being more neutral sounding but perhaps masking some ambient and other low-level details.

Next up, perhaps some 25~30cm 3-wire braid XLR's made with individual 22-24 AWG strands (not twisted pairs) from leftover Cat3 or Cat5 bulk spools.

@Birch was that Mogami shielded 2534 Quad or 2549 Twisted Pair? have a section of 2534 Quad but didn't try that after hearing the 2549.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 7:03 PM Post #113,032 of 154,986
Wow!
Ironic!
I knew that was coming. Took a little longer than I anticipated, however. * :D

* I figured you or Bill would not let this pass, but then again, Bill typically naps around this time.

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 7:07 PM Post #113,034 of 154,986
Yes. I am a man with many attributes. You forgot to include 'modest', BTW. :smirk:

Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 7:08 PM Post #113,035 of 154,986
Raising (or lowering) the bar on turtles. Here is a snip of Zappa with Flo and Eddie (of the Turtles) performing a medley that ends with "Happy Together" starting about 8:25 in the video.

Back out you, original Framed Bill Gram presents Fillmore poster of the Turtles 1966.

Attachments

• TheTurtles.png
    TheTurtles.png
    1.3 MB · Views: 0
Mar 12, 2023 at 7:10 PM Post #113,036 of 154,986
Every time I think I have my subwoofers set up properly on my main system I do a final check using music by this guy, and then have to revisit the adjustments lol.

Wow. Thanks for the link.

Yggdrasil OG > Folkvangr > DCA Stealth combo has incredible sub bass on this track.

I’ll have to play this in my HT. I have a couple of JL Fathom 112s that could use a little workout.

Mar 12, 2023 at 7:26 PM Post #113,037 of 154,986
Last edited:
Mar 12, 2023 at 8:09 PM Post #113,038 of 154,986
I hear the most difference in headphone cables. I have also constructed my own USB cables using a higher quality, larger awg wires than many of the imports but that is hardly comparing apples to apples. :ksc75smile: I wish I could say I heard a lot of difference in interconnects but I tend to use quality Mogami, Belden, and Canare cable so I am starting with something very well made. I have had one person who could consistently tell the difference in wire types but she is the only one I know who could do that and many have tried that test with me.
Makes me wonder if I should just go for a solid cable other than the one I bought off Amazon. What are the things/descriptions a person should look for?

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:15 PM Post #113,039 of 154,986
WARNING: audio-related topic (possible thread derailing post ahead)

In order to hear for myself, on my system, the impact (whether big or small) of different interconnects, I built several short -30cm budget RCA interconnects to go between DAC BFM1 OG and Asgard3 (later Jot2) to compare against my current (pun intended) ones— mid 1990’s vintage XLO pro100 series star-quad (back then ~$2.00/ft unterminated so not uber expensive stuff) built with re-purposed Monster RCA’s:

Mogami 2549 shielded twisted pair, Rean NYS373 RCA plugs (warm mids and one-notey)
Belden 1505F coax / canare RCAP rca’s (warm bass & mids)
Grimm TPR shielded twisted pair, Rean NYS373 RCA (glaring upper mids / lower treble, lispy vocals).

Over several weeks, alternated between the four various cables, writing down source tracks used, cable under test, sonic impressions. Definitely found these cables to each have their own sound signature.

Differences in bulk capacitance (<60pf at these lengths) should not cause changes in steady state response at audio frequencies, so other not-yet-quantified characteristics are likely causing the audible differences.

As a further experiment, also built another set with DH Labs Studio Pro bulk wire ($14/ft unterminated, next-tier-up price class) with budget $2 Rean NYS352 RCA's (not the $40 ea cryo-treated, machined from a proprietary-copper-alloy stuff), and found it most neutral and revealing of ambient and other low-level details. For me, worth the ~$25 price delta per pair.

Between Lokius and Jot2, also tried XLR using Canare L-4E6S & belden 1800F (both these in 10ft lengths, built by Blue Jeans Cable), and again heard sonic differences,
the Belden 1800F being upper bass warm, and the Canare being more neutral sounding but perhaps masking some ambient and other low-level details.

Next up, perhaps some 25~30cm 3-wire braid XLR's made with individual 22-24 AWG strands (not twisted pairs) from leftover Cat3 or Cat5 bulk spools.

@Birch was that Mogami shielded 2534 Quad or 2549 Twisted Pair? have a section of 2534 Quad but didn't try that after hearing the 2549.
I’ve been around the block with DIY interconnects. To my ears, 2549 with a floating shield is what does the trick for me. Clean, transparent, detailed presentation, and extremely neutral. The “Japanese” method with the shield connected at both ends dulls and darkens the sound.

Mar 12, 2023 at 8:39 PM Post #113,040 of 154,986
This is not a new phenomenon. Think of the contempt the "moneyed classes" and nobility had for merchants. Maybe the new thing is everyone thinks of themselves as nobility?
Interesting thought. But I do believe the contempt and disdain between the moneyed classes and those less well off were mostly rooted in this very prevalent pattern:
1. The well-informed has disdain and contempt for the ignorant.
2. The well-informed fails to differentiate between the ignorant and the uninformed, and behaves rather badly towards both. (Presumably they are uninformed about this here pattern.)
3. The uninformed develop, especially as a group, disdain and contempt and most importantly the this-comes-from-you-people-so-it-must-be-false-mentality that really creates a vicious cycle. The well-informed, even those who avoid contributing to the first two parts of this problematic pattern, get rather angry with those who react to facts with claims of falseness. Really really aggravated by those who react to truthful and correct explanations with claims of lies and subterfuge... or claims that the well-informed are fools in some way or another.

Before the internet, on the whole, we were all much more uninformed about many more aspects of professions or parts of society or parts of the world other than our own. The above problematic pattern was rampant in much larger scale. Today, we are much more in communication with each other and overall we get much more informed by the day.

Now think back to before literacy. I mean, those who read a lot end up well-informed about many things that those who don't will be uninformed about, that's still true today. When only the wealthy can afford books and tuition, what do you expect? And I'm quite sure that nobility in general were very uninformed about what it entailed to be a merchant or a farmer, this goes both ways.

The internet will probably go down as the most important invention in the history of humanity. Communication, information, it breaks down the segregation and the problems. It creates understanding. Slowly, but it is happening. I have hope that eventually, I'm talking tens of generations into the future, it will actually unite us all. I have hope for humanity! Just not in our lifetimes. Nor for the grandchildren of the currently newborn. But, you know, eventually.

(I wrote this after reading what I cited without reading any further posts, but if I've been ninja'd on this... how?)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back