Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 30, 2023 at 12:05 AM Post #109,336 of 152,756
My brother-in-law only paid $25 each chicken 🐔 at an animal auction

Yeah. But you gotta build or buy a chicken coop, and I'd need to build it to keep the chickens alive in -40 temps in the winter, plus buy associated equipment for dispensing water and feed. Feed itself, Cleaning supplies/tools, bedding supplies. Also, were those auction chickens already laying eggs? How old were they? How many eggs per day? Even just 6 chickens is 150 bucks, not including the associated expenses. I'm spending about 50-60 bucks a month on eggs.

Its my understanding that most people around here buy their egg layers as chicks from Tractor Supply or a Fleet Farm, its like 18-22 weeks before they start laying eggs..

If you enjoy it can definitely be worthwhile. Hats off to the folks that do it. I'm happily talking myself out of it.

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 12:08 AM Post #109,337 of 152,756
I've decided to get both the Aegir and the Vidar. Spend a couple weeks with both and decide which one to keep. I'll suffer the restocking fee and return shipping if I decide to return one. Heck, I may keep both, or exchange one of them to make a pair. I don't know yet. It'll be an interesting couple weeks ahead. It made sense to order both.
You could always bi-amp and use both like I did. :)

Jan 30, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #109,339 of 152,756
What solution did you use to take care of the gain mismatch?
Some here might suggest a 70% solution, but each still has an optimum value. Or so I'm told. :sweat_smile:
whisky-destille-2_38_0.jpg

Jan 30, 2023 at 7:51 AM Post #109,340 of 152,756
If anybody wants some foundational knowledge that helps to understand interpolation filters like Schiit's Megacomboburrito filter, I found this guy's videos really helpful. You just need a bit of maths background, but the nice thing about these videos is you don't need to have learned differential equations (I never got that far in calc), because with FIR filters you're dealing w difference equations, which are easier to understand.

Based on Mike & Jason's posts, I believe Megacomboburrito uses a FIR filter, with 10's of thousands of coefficients, or "taps". As somebody mentioned (can't recall who that was. Oh well...), a typical way to go about making an interpolation filter is to add zeros between the original samples as the first step. Then a FIR filter can essentially transform them into non-zero values, through successive delays and multiply-accumulate operations using the chosen coefficients. I wouldn't be surprised if Schiit was using a technique other than this "zero stuffing", but there's no way to know for sure about that at this point, unless I've missed some of their posts. This guy's videos step through the process of implementing a FIR lowpass filter:

It seems that part of, if not most of the secret sauce in the MCB filter is in how the FIR filter coefficients were chosen. You can use something like matlab to generate filter coefficients for you but you'll end up with a filter that probably sounds nowhere near as good as MCB. Mike et al came up with their own way to generate the coefficients they needed for bit perfect interpolation, optimized in both the time and frequency domains. And they've programmed sharc DSP chips, presumably mostly to run the multiply-accumulate operations to implement the FIR filter with its many taps, though there may he more to it than that when it comes to what the sharc chip is doing.

This video is very interesting (but I also liked college math.)

Jan 30, 2023 at 8:12 AM Post #109,341 of 152,756
My small circle of friends have given me many tubes. I just have to stop on occasion and figure out which ones I now own.😀
There are wine cellar apps to organize large wine collections. Is there something similar for tubes? Or just a database.

Jan 30, 2023 at 8:52 AM Post #109,342 of 152,756
Bill sent me an excerpt of his Tube Inventory spreadsheet. Thought I'd share in case others can use it. Apparently 1963 was a good year. :wink:

Screenshot 2023-01-30 075107.png

Last edited:
Jan 30, 2023 at 9:30 AM Post #109,343 of 152,756
There are wine cellar apps to organize large wine collections. Is there something similar for tubes? Or just a database.
I do not know of a specific app. I often have tubes sorted and boxed according to the amp that will use them and I have done little with 12AT7's so far. The 12AX7 amp is something I just now completed and I have all my EL 34's, 6CA7's, and 12X7's all in one area. :ksc75smile:

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:07 AM Post #109,348 of 152,756
PSVane are some of the best sounding new production EL34s I have found.
They are stock in PrimaLuna amps and I ended up with an extra quad of them when I bought my Cary amp.

Jan 30, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #109,350 of 152,756
Try a NOS Mullard or Amperex.
I have a NOS Mullard in there now, I also have Tungsram, Telefunken, RFT, CBS, Raytheon. etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back