Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 29, 2023 at 10:07 PM Post #109,321 of 155,069
Raising chickens for eggs is currently illegal in my community
We had chickens when I was a kid. My brother stopped eating chicken for years after observing the chicken's lifestyle.
I'd love to see an economic analysis of buying eggs versus "home brewing" them. And health risks.

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:08 PM Post #109,322 of 155,069
IThere was a LARGE cat that she thought might have been a Jaguarundi behind our home in the trees. It was at least twice the size of a normal house cat with a dark coat.
You sure it wasn't a chupacabra?

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:10 PM Post #109,323 of 155,069
Jan 29, 2023 at 10:14 PM Post #109,324 of 155,069
... and discussing the accuracy of the chess games in the Queens Gambit ...
Queens Gambit was an off-the-chart, fantastic mini-series. Didn't see any tubes in it, tho?

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:19 PM Post #109,326 of 155,069
Queens Gambit was an off-the-chart, fantastic mini-series. Didn't see any tubes in it, tho?
I carry on a few discussions at once lol. Thus I said I would think about tubes tomorrow. I am a fan of Walter Tevis the author and I played some tournament games in Lexington Ky where part of the series is based.

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:22 PM Post #109,327 of 155,069
I carry on a few discussions at once lol. Thus I said I would think about tubes tomorrow. I am a fan of Walter Tevis the author and I played some tournament games in Lexington Ky where part of the series is based.
I seem to recall that the World Equestrian Games was in Louisville a while ago. If so, did you go to it? I think horses are neato but they are too big for me. My wife had a horse years before we met. She said it was just too expensive to keep.

She thinks the same about me too.

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:29 PM Post #109,329 of 155,069
I seem to recall that the World Equestrian Games was in Louisville a while ago. If so, did you go to it? I think horses are neato but they are too big for me. My wife had a horse years before we met. She said it was just too expensive to keep.

She thinks the same about me too.

My wife still has family in Louisville and some of my college days were spent there. I had an apartment not far from Churchill Downs at one point. Lovely horse country farther south.

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #109,330 of 155,069
We had chickens when I was a kid. My brother stopped eating chicken for years after observing the chicken's lifestyle.
I'd love to see an economic analysis of buying eggs versus "home brewing" them. And health risks.

It would likely take awhile to recoup the investment. I spent alot of time as a kid tending to chickens at my grandparents farm. Collecting eggs was fun, everything else not so much.... my wife wants them, but I know who would end up doing all the work and what said work entails, so I am less inclined to get the ball rolling..

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:43 PM Post #109,331 of 155,069
best sounding tubes are the ones borrowed from someone else's hoard collection.
My small circle of friends have given me many tubes. I just have to stop on occasion and figure out which ones I now own.😀

Jan 29, 2023 at 10:45 PM Post #109,332 of 155,069
but I know who would end up doing all the work and what said work entails, so I am less inclined to get the ball egg rolling..
FTFY. :wink:

Jan 29, 2023 at 11:00 PM Post #109,333 of 155,069
It would likely take awhile to recoup the investment. I spent alot of time as a kid tending to chickens at my grandparents farm. Collecting eggs was fun, everything else not so much.... my wife wants them, but I know who would end up doing all the work and what said work entails, so I am less inclined to get the ball rolling..
My brother-in-law only paid $25 each chicken 🐔 at an animal auction

Jan 29, 2023 at 11:01 PM Post #109,334 of 155,069
My small circle of friends have given me many tubes. I just have to stop on occasion and figure out which ones I now own.😀
Ask Finnegan

Jan 29, 2023 at 11:38 PM Post #109,335 of 155,069
If anybody wants some foundational knowledge that helps to understand interpolation filters like Schiit's Megacomboburrito filter, I found this guy's videos really helpful. You just need a bit of maths background, but the nice thing about these videos is you don't need to have learned differential equations (I never got that far in calc), because with FIR filters you're dealing w difference equations, which are easier to understand.

Based on Mike & Jason's posts, I believe Megacomboburrito uses a FIR filter, with 10's of thousands of coefficients, or "taps". As somebody mentioned (can't recall who that was. Oh well...), a typical way to go about making an interpolation filter is to add zeros between the original samples as the first step. Then a FIR filter can essentially transform them into non-zero values, through successive delays and multiply-accumulate operations using the chosen coefficients. I wouldn't be surprised if Schiit was using a technique other than this "zero stuffing", but there's no way to know for sure about that at this point, unless I've missed some of their posts. This guy's videos step through the process of implementing a FIR lowpass filter:

It seems that part of, if not most of the secret sauce in the MCB filter is in how the FIR filter coefficients were chosen. You can use something like matlab to generate filter coefficients for you but you'll end up with a filter that probably sounds nowhere near as good as MCB. Mike et al came up with their own way to generate the coefficients they needed for bit perfect interpolation, optimized in both the time and frequency domains. And they've programmed sharc DSP chips, presumably mostly to run the multiply-accumulate operations to implement the FIR filter with its many taps, though there may he more to it than that when it comes to what the sharc chip is doing.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back