Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 20, 2023 at 12:52 PM Post #108,586 of 153,170
'IF' you can get by with the power of the Aegir, it does sound a fair bit nicer than t

I thought I'd post up here for some quick answers, thoughts and opinions.
I'm looking to pull the trigger on the Vidar 2 or Aegir.

Room is untreated: (l x w x h) 25'x13'x9'
One end of the length(l) opens and widens to the kitchen and the other end of the length(l) opens and widens to a stairway.
It's an odd shaped room. Not quite a rectangular box but "close" in general.
I share a wall with a neighbor on the kitchen side of the length(l). In other words I cannot play music blaringly loud.
Loud enough to enjoy though!

I want to make the right speaker amp choice right off the bat: Vidar 2 or Aegir.

My speakers:
Speaker pair 1: Denton Wharfedale 85th Anniversary (4 ohms: 88db @ 2.0V @ 1m)
Speaker pair 2: Klipsch RP-600M (8 ohms: 96dB @ 2.83V / 1m)
I switch between the two speaker sets often. Currently they are driven by a Marantz Rx SR8012.

Which amp would you recommend for the Speakers and Setup?
If I can only get one amp. Which amp?
If I reach deep into my pockets, easily but reluctantly but happily, which amps? 2x Vidar's or 2x Aegir's or another amp? Given the budget is $1600. The price of two Aegir's. Max.

Bifrost 2 -> Freya + -> Amp -> Speakers
I've almost changed my mind. Maybe.

If I reach deeper into my pockets, which amps would you recommend?
2x Vidar's
2x Aegir's
or another Amp?
Budget $1600. The price of two Aegir's. Max.
Based on a single amp criteria, most recommend the Vidar given my setup.
Does that still stand given the budget has doubled, or does it sway towards the Aegir x2?

With the help of your input, I'm leaning Vidar x1 if I stay the course.
Aegir x2 if I increase the budget. Only if the Aegir can safely drive 4ohms in Mono.

Tip me one way or the other. Eek :)

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:58 PM Post #108,587 of 153,170
Where is it? It looks lost at sea...!

giphy (9).gif

A nice set up. How does the Pass amp hold up in the stack? I'd love to hear it...! 😃
This is the USS North Carolina BB55, June 3, 1942. Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Va.
Not many really good hi-res pix from back then.
This is my other hobby.
I am a research docent for the USS North Carolina which is the states WW2 Memorial to all services that served.

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:05 PM Post #108,591 of 153,170
Fun A/V with headphones. Scroll down in the comments for shortcuts to different dynamics. :)

Nice & trippy! Good to fall asleep &/or meditate! :) Thanks for sharing! Reminds me of Yosi Horikawa! :)

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:09 PM Post #108,592 of 153,170
This is the USS North Carolina BB55, June 3, 1942. Norfolk Navy Yard, Portsmouth, Va.
Not many really good hi-res pix from back then.
This is my other hobby.
I am a research docent for the USS North Carolina which is the states WW2 Memorial to all services that served.

Awesome. A worthy endeavor...! Thank you...! 🫡

Also, I had a brother that was stationed aboard the USS America. I believe it was the last conventional carrier in the US fleet? 🥹

My wife and I once did a boat tour of the Norfolk Navy Yard. The scale of the ships are hard to grasp, without first being seen. Very impressive. 😀

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:11 PM Post #108,593 of 153,170
Awesome. A worthy endeavor...! Thank you...! 🫡

Also, I had a brother that was stationed aboard the USS America. I believe it was the last conventional carrier in the US fleet? 🥹

My wife and I once did a boat tour of the Norfolk Navy Yard. The scale of the ships are hard to grasp, without first being seen. Very impressive. 😀
If your ever in Wilmington let me know. I go down to the ship from Raleigh once a month.
Maybe we could have a Schiit meet on the ship!!

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:14 PM Post #108,594 of 153,170
With Unison no maybe not but for those of us that have older products that don't have unison or even gen 5 USB and dont want to move to a product with unison for whatever reason it makes a difference. I run a MM1 and I like it, my eitr gave up on me a while back and was hoping for something maybe with Unison that could replace it. That was going to be MM2 but the difference in sounds of the MM2 I am not sure I will like and , probably moreso, its another 300 dollar investment that I don't need to make because what I have works and I like it. Id rather put that 300 dollars towards a Jot or Valhalla maybe.

Now I admit I am probably in a small minority and I totally understand why Jason wouldn't want to make a new one because the market is probably really small and it would be hard to make something that would be profitable probably. So I need to weigh options.
Yea. I guess it depends on what the market can handle. I only have schiit DACs with unison, so I wouldn’t really need it. I’m also a DAC noob. Most of my listening had been vinyl or CD only. I have seen a couple of Eitrs come up for sale on Fleabay. Not often though.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 1:15 PM Post #108,595 of 153,170
If your ever in Wilmington let me know. I go down to the ship from Raleigh once a month.
Maybe we could have a Schiit meet on the ship!!

That would be epic. As long as cardboard life boats aren't provided on a voluntary basis by @bcowen ...! While I can swim, I'm not as young as I used to be. 🤪

Jan 20, 2023 at 1:20 PM Post #108,596 of 153,170

Aegir x2 if I increase the budget. Only if the Aegir can safely drive 4ohms in Mono.

That sounds like a great question to ask the folks at Schiit. They post 'Mono, 8 ohms: 80W RMS' but there's no mention re: 4 ohms. (not to start an equine thread - Get it straight from the horses mouth - info@schiit.com ?? )

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 1:28 PM Post #108,597 of 153,170
What I really like about the Modi Multibit 2 is its still using an off the wall AD 5547 D/A convertor.
Yes Schiit makes DS dacs now with Schiits magic dust.
But one of the "draws" back then was Jason's ribald funny comments....and him and Mike doing stuff a different way from the mainstream.
Oh and the price! Good stuff for the masses!! Lol!

TBH when the non-AD chip dacs came out due to lack of availability I was sad....
So when the this unexpected run of this low cost dac came available I smiled again, bigtime.
It has NOS! For me this is great to compare NOS with other NOS dacs.

and wait for it...it has a LIGHT on the FRONT panel !!!

TBH you could put this dac in a nice big heavy billet aluminum box.
Place a brick inside as well, for windy days.
And charge $1499 and most folks wouldnt know the difference!
YMMV of course and its IMO as well.

Alex
:>)

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 1:34 PM Post #108,598 of 153,170
I've owned a pair of Vidar monos (now in my bro-in-law's family room), and currently have a pair of Aegir monos (driving LS50s) upstairs and a pair o' Tyr (driving B&W 804 D3s) downstairs.
Would you care to share any subjective listening notes characterizing the sonic changes switching between any of the amps on those setups? It sounds like you used to have mono Vidars driving your LS50s, but not entirely sure if that's what you were saying.
Feel free to PM to me if you'd prefer. Just trying to get an idea of what I might expect to change.

Thanks!

Jan 20, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #108,600 of 153,170
I've almost changed my mind. Maybe.

If I reach deeper into my pockets, which amps would you recommend?
2x Vidar's
2x Aegir's
or another Amp?
Budget $1600. The price of two Aegir's. Max.
Based on a single amp criteria, most recommend the Vidar given my setup.
Does that still stand given the budget has doubled, or does it sway towards the Aegir x2?

Aegir is not stable into 4 ohms in mono mode. Vidar is stable but Jadon will make no statements regarding its power output as it is under heatsinked in that mode.

I have dual Vidars driving Martin Logan Aerius speakers. Loads of power but not the last word in detail. Extremely good though.

I have a single Aegir driving Canton Ergo 70 speakers. It is excellent for detail but the volume knob on the Freya N is between 2 and 3 o'clock for moderate listening. I find the system very satisfying but it is no party system

Hope that helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Back