Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 20, 2023 at 7:33 AM Post #108,556 of 155,186
Nice. :sunglasses: I was lucky enough also one year to get out on the show line of flight to take photos. This is right under the flight paths of the aircraft, usually a few hundred meters away from and parallel to the crowd. An F-15 pulling up under 'burners above you instead of a distance in front of you is pretty sweet too!
About 50 years ago, as a member of the RAF section of the Combined Cadet Force, I was at RAF Brize Norton stopped . at a barrier about a hundred yards from the end of the runway when a visiting English Electric Lightning took off and then climbed vertically using full afterburner, letting me and the other cadets in the group feel the full effect. It was certainly impressive. The Lightning was know for being able to go supersonic in a vertical climb; however, it is unlikely that this particular fighter did so as supersonic flight was only permitted over UK land at certain training areas or if launched to intercept a potential threat

Another noisy memory, at a UK air show, is of a team of four Starfighters, from a European air force, doing a high speed (subsonic), high power, very low pass behind the crowd line (different standards in those days). This resulted in setting off most of the car alarms in the parking area for the air show viewers, that was behind the viewing area.

Regards, Nigel

Jan 20, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #108,558 of 155,186
I think that Jason Stoddard has stated that they discontinued Eitr because sales were poor and therefore they were not planning to produce a similar Unison product. I believe the statement was either in one of his Schiit videos or another YouTube interview, rather than a post on Head-Fi.

Yeah I sort of heard that as well, but also things change. Hes already said that people are asking for something like a new eitr. He said they could remove the CD player part of the Urd and have something that does all of that but I fear that's still something like a 500 dollar, maybe even more, item even without the CD part which would be more than I would want to spend on something like that. Im just looking for a cheap option here because before my Eitr blew up for the second time it did make a noticeable difference in the sound.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 9:41 AM Post #108,559 of 155,186
About 50 years ago, as a member of the RAF section of the Combined Cadet Force, I was at RAF Brize Norton stopped . at a barrier about a hundred yards from the end of the runway when a visiting English Electric Lightning took off and then climbed vertically using full afterburner, letting me and the other cadets in the group feel the full effect. It was certainly impressive. The Lightning was know for being able to go supersonic in a vertical climb; however, it is unlikely that this particular fighter did so as supersonic flight was only permitted over UK land at certain training areas or if launched to intercept a potential threat

Another noisy memory, at a UK air show, is of a team of four Starfighters, from a European air force, doing a high speed (subsonic), high power, very low pass behind the crowd line (different standards in those days). This resulted in setting off most of the car alarms in the parking area for the air show viewers, that was behind the viewing area.

Regards, Nigel
Lightnings have reheat, not afterburners. Said Mr Pedant.

Jan 20, 2023 at 9:54 AM Post #108,560 of 155,186
Yeah I sort of heard that as well, but also things change. Hes already said that people are asking for something like a new eitr. He said they could remove the CD player part of the Urd and have something that does all of that but I fear that's still something like a 500 dollar, maybe even more, item even without the CD part which would be more than I would want to spend on something like that. Im just looking for a cheap option here because before my Eitr blew up for the second time it did make a noticeable difference in the sound.
Is an Eitr type product even necessary anymore with Unison? I was under the impression that Eitr was redundant once Unison was made.

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:09 AM Post #108,562 of 155,186
Jan 20, 2023 at 10:25 AM Post #108,563 of 155,186
I had a TV repaired. Twice. It was a nice Mitsubishi I bought when plasma were new and unobtanium. One of the electricians at the plant I worked in also knew a bit about electronics. Turns out a couple of transistors in the power supply burned out (at least I think that's what it was, it's been more than twenty years). For $8 is parts and a weekend without my TV I didn't have to buy a new one for several years.

You know, back then things could be fixed.

I repaired my Samsung plasma (the last model they ever made) two years ago. It just up and died one day. Took it apart and did some diagnostics, found an issue with the power board. Shipped that to a TV repair shop in Texas that does flat-rate board repairs. $90 and a week later, it was back up and running, and now lives in the spare bedroom in the basement.

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:29 AM Post #108,564 of 155,186
Is an Eitr type product even necessary anymore with Unison? I was under the impression that Eitr was redundant once Unison was made.
Suppose it depends on the number of sources you have that only do USB out.
If your component of interest has a free S/PDIF input and no free USB inputs maybe the Eitr is still for you?

Jan 20, 2023 at 10:33 AM Post #108,565 of 155,186
I repaired my Samsung plasma (the last model they ever made) two years ago. It just up and died one day. Took it apart and did some diagnostics, found an issue with the power board. Shipped that to a TV repair shop in Texas that does flat-rate board repairs. $90 and a week later, it was back up and running, and now lives in the spare bedroom in the basement.
I still have a Samsung plasma 3D TV. I have never needed to open it. I am guessing I bought it in 2010 or so.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:08 AM Post #108,566 of 155,186
Another day listening with the MMB2!

1674230875956.png

My desktop constantly changes as stuff comes in and out:
1674231245649.png

1674231295606.png

Its an addiction here!

:>)
Alex

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 11:24 AM Post #108,569 of 155,186

Yes, but it's invaluable for using with older DACS of different brands, especially those that don't have USB inputs.

No one is ever getting my EITR!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back