Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 20, 2023 at 2:33 PM Post #108,601 of 155,184
Awesome. A worthy endeavor...! Thank you...! 🫡

Also, I had a brother that was stationed aboard the USS America. I believe it was the last conventional carrier in the US fleet? 🥹

My wife and I once did a boat tour of the Norfolk Navy Yard. The scale of the ships are hard to grasp, without first being seen. Very impressive. 😀
I shot my singular album cover photo INSIDE Norfolk Navy Yard. I'm hope the statute of limitations has inoculated me on this one as the regs at the time about photography (1974) were quite strict :)

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:00 PM Post #108,603 of 155,184
Here is a product I would like to see:

A box with one pair of RCA inputs and three pairs of RCA outputs, and three pairs of balanced outputs. Buffered output with unity gain. I would use it to distribute the high passed output of my subwoofers to my various amplifiers.

Anyone know of such a device?

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:05 PM Post #108,604 of 155,184

A box with one pair of RCA inputs and three pairs of RCA outputs, and three pairs of balanced outputs. Buffered output with unity gain. I would use it to distribute the high passed output of my subwoofers to my various amplifiers.

Electronics crossover?

Only potential issue - it may take things up to 180 degrees out of phase in some cases, that is why many subs have a phase switcher or control

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:11 PM Post #108,605 of 155,184
In car audio, you need a crossover to optimize the system (various speaker sizes)

For example, in my van I have Fronts 70 Hz up, Rears 100 Hz up, and subs 70 down... it works well in that particular setup

I wish I could get a crossover that does it all in the digital domain and then have various filtered outputs like many Surround Receivers and Car Headunits - but that may have an adverse effect on two channel sound quality.

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:22 PM Post #108,606 of 155,184
Aegir is not stable into 4 ohms in mono mode. Vidar is stable but Jadon will make no statements regarding its power output as it is under heatsinked in that mode.

I have dual Vidars driving Martin Logan Aerius speakers. Loads of power but not the last word in detail. Extremely good though.

I have a single Aegir driving Canton Ergo 70 speakers. It is excellent for detail but the volume knob on the Freya N is between 2 and 3 o'clock for moderate listening. I find the system very satisfying but it is no party system

Hope that helps
Thank You! I don't understand the "not stable" part. As in output power is not stable and heard as distortion?

I'm leaning single Aegir. I'm not looking to drive a party with the amp. Critical listening and enjoyment is all I'm after. Just loud enough listening level (moderate) is good enough.

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:27 PM Post #108,607 of 155,184
What I really like about the Modi Multibit 2 is its still using an off the wall AD 5547 D/A convertor.
Yes Schiit makes DS dacs now with Schiits magic dust.
But one of the "draws" back then was Jason's ribald funny comments....and him and Mike doing stuff a different way from the mainstream.
Oh and the price! Good stuff for the masses!! Lol!

TBH when the non-AD chip dacs came out due to lack of availability I was sad....
So when the this unexpected run of this low cost dac came available I smiled again, bigtime.
It has NOS! For me this is great to compare NOS with other NOS dacs.

and wait for it...it has a LIGHT on the FRONT panel !!!

TBH you could put this dac in a nice big heavy billet aluminum box.
Place a brick inside as well, for windy days.
And charge $1499 and most folks wouldnt know the difference!
YMMV of course and its IMO as well.

Alex
:>)
Certain dacs are great because they are memorable for their distinctive attributes. What key attributes of the MM2 that make you want to keep listening? Sorry if I missed this in a previous post.

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:35 PM Post #108,608 of 155,184
Certain dacs are great because they are memorable for their distinctive attributes. What key attributes of the MM2 that make you want to keep listening? Sorry if I missed this in a previous post.
Open, transparent. Its just a dac, I even like NOS mode the more I use it I tend to use NOS for an hour or so then flip back over...
I cant wait to try an URD with a CD directly out via unison to unison in the MMB2.
No Computer.
No Music Player.
No OS crap.
No drivers.
Then to compare with all that gorp.

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:40 PM Post #108,609 of 155,184
Thank You! I don't understand the "not stable" part. As in output power is not stable and heard as distortion?

I'm leaning single Aegir. I'm not looking to drive a party with the amp. Critical listening and enjoyment is all I'm after. Just loud enough listening level (moderate) is good enough.

"not stable" - amp goes into protection best case scenario: worst case catches fire :fire::fire:❤️‍🔥🎇

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:43 PM Post #108,610 of 155,184
Open, transparent. Its just a dac, I even like NOS mode the more I use it I tend to use NOS for an hour or so then flip back over...
I cant wait to try an URD with a CD directly out via unison to unison in the MMB2.
No Computer.
No Music Player.
No OS crap.
No drivers.
What do you use as a source for the MM2 and do you upsample the music file (to 192khz) before it goes to MM2 or do you play the music file at its original sampling rate to the MM2?

Jan 20, 2023 at 3:52 PM Post #108,611 of 155,184

I know of no such device but I believe I could build it when I have free time. I am pretty well booked till May or June. Longer if I build a dream amp that makes @bcowen spit his coffee on his laptop. :ksc75smile:

Oh yeah, I do not use metal cabinets, I only build with wooden cabinets and maybe a metal faceplate or top plate. It has to be pretty. :beerchug:

05D19AE2-81B1-4EBF-B3EC-E7DDB9A42AE0.jpegAF35CA5E-5298-49D1-B97A-A69B5E88CCA1.jpeg

Attachments

• 029AED99-2A78-4630-B5CF-692036743C62.jpeg
    029AED99-2A78-4630-B5CF-692036743C62.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 4:22 PM Post #108,612 of 155,184

I went from a Vidar to an Aegir playing into my Zu Omen IIs. I found the change to provide a smoother sound with more detail so if you speakers are efficient enough I would highly recommend the Aegir.

I recently switched from a Modius (AKM) to the MM2 and that was quite a musical change. Instruments sound much more lifelike and I would never go back to the Modius. They both feed my Lyr 3 then into the Aegir and I am pretty sure that I have never had the volume knob past 12 and at 12 I would be listening at close to 100 db. So the system has lots left for those big passages.

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:40 PM Post #108,613 of 155,184
No Computer.
No Music Player.
No OS crap.
No drivers.
I liked NOS at first but the more that I listened I went back and forth. It's depending on the music, the amp and the headphones. It's nice to have another trick in your bag to make things sound better to your ears.

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:44 PM Post #108,614 of 155,184
I went from a Vidar to an Aegir playing into my Zu Omen IIs. I found the change to provide a smoother sound with more detail so if you speakers are efficient enough I would highly recommend the Aegir.

I recently switched from a Modius (AKM) to the MM2 and that was quite a musical change. Instruments sound much more lifelike and I would never go back to the Modius. They both feed my Lyr 3 then into the Aegir and I am pretty sure that I have never had the volume knob past 12 and at 12 I would be listening at close to 100 db. So the system has lots left for those big passages.
I kinda wish my Vandys were efficient enough to run Aegirs. They sound great with a pair of Vidars though!

Jan 20, 2023 at 4:47 PM Post #108,615 of 155,184
I kinda wish my Vandys were efficient enough to run Aegirs. They sound great with a pair of Vidars though!
Vandys == Vandersteens, right? If so are you bi-amping? Bi-wiring? Using jumpers? Been curious about them since the 2's seem to be easy to find for a decent price. Just never sure if the surrounds will be an issue on those older speakers.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back