Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 20, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #108,571 of 153,260
Testing the Bifrost 2 and a speaker tube amp...dont laugh at my cheap meter!!

131F804F-F053-4D54-8CC8-347DB4F0DB20.jpeg

You need one of these, much safer.🤪🤪

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:29 AM Post #108,572 of 153,260
How's the MMB2 working out for you? I'm enjoying mine. Totally different than my MMB1.
I just really like what it does....wonderful dac IMO.
For $299 and being a real multibit dac...its a STEAL.
Other dacs costing more...better?? well, differing nuances for sure.
For me I could sell all the other dacs here, keep the MMB2 and be totally happy.
Having cans that are very resolving helps to pick out some differences...but for the
most part once you start listening its all pretty much good.

Enjoy the music!!
It doesnt have to be expensive!

Alex

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:37 AM Post #108,575 of 153,260
Yeah this was only a test....its been updated and replaced via a more permanent and safer solution!
Was playing around with resistors for padding.
Dont have any decade boxes here anymore!
LOL I could have loaned you one, if I could find it that is. :ksc75smile:

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #108,577 of 153,260
I just really like what it does....wonderful dac IMO.
For $299 and being a real multibit dac...its a STEAL.
Other dacs costing more...better?? well, differing nuances for sure.
For me I could sell all the other dacs here, keep the MMB2 and be totally happy.
Having cans that are very resolving helps to pick out some differences...but for the
most part once you start listening its all pretty much good.

Enjoy the music!!
It doesnt have to be expensive!

Alex
Yup, budget DACs are like popcorn. One of my other favorite DACs is a Pro-ject Dac Box FL (NOS DAC) that I bought for $65 used. Great little unit. I bought a Chinese NOS DAC made by ZeroZone that uses two AD1865 chips for $150 off AliExpress. Great fit and finish and excellent performer.

Jan 20, 2023 at 11:57 AM Post #108,579 of 153,260
Is an Eitr type product even necessary anymore with Unison? I was under the impression that Eitr was redundant once Unison was made.
With Unison no maybe not but for those of us that have older products that don't have unison or even gen 5 USB and dont want to move to a product with unison for whatever reason it makes a difference. I run a MM1 and I like it, my eitr gave up on me a while back and was hoping for something maybe with Unison that could replace it. That was going to be MM2 but the difference in sounds of the MM2 I am not sure I will like and , probably moreso, its another 300 dollar investment that I don't need to make because what I have works and I like it. Id rather put that 300 dollars towards a Jot or Valhalla maybe.

Now I admit I am probably in a small minority and I totally understand why Jason wouldn't want to make a new one because the market is probably really small and it would be hard to make something that would be profitable probably. So I need to weigh options.

Last edited:
Jan 20, 2023 at 12:15 PM Post #108,582 of 153,260
Testing the Bifrost 2 and a speaker tube amp...dont laugh at my cheap meter!!

1674231569704.png
Which Van Alstine amp is that? It's gorgeous.

Jan 20, 2023 at 12:17 PM Post #108,583 of 153,260
Late reply. The behaviour is described on the Controls page of the Freya S manual:

‘4X Gain LED​
This is also on (with the 1X gain LED) when using the Nexus stage in high (4X) gain…’​

The Freya+ manual does not include similar wording about both being on - this is not surprising since the middle LED is for the solid-state buffer and the right LED is for the tube gain stage.

Regards, Nigel

Right! That wording is new and triggered by a question I posed to Schiit. The paper manual of my unit (purchased now) does not say that (see photo attached). It's good they revised the manual.

IMG_8166.jpg

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back