Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 12, 2023 at 2:24 PM Post #107,941 of 151,658
I will posit there is a similar genetic defect that prevents people from enjoying NC BBQ (at least Western NC or 'Lexington Style' BBQ. I understand these mutations are located close to the genes that control other important cognitive traits.

I'm familiar with that defect it's a trade off I can live with. I mean really it's a gift, not only can I differentiate good southern BBQ from NC swill, I can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time, win win if you ask me.

Huh, smilies arent working so just know I'm grinning real big as I sip my Cheerwine while typing this.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 2:27 PM Post #107,942 of 151,658
I feel bad for you. To me, cilantro is a necessity to complete many dishes.

I hate it when I run out
I tend to grow my own so I have a constant supply of cilantro, oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:36 PM Post #107,943 of 151,658
I tend to grow my own so I have a constant supply of cilantro, oregano, basil, thyme, and rosemary.

Fresh herbs are the best...! But OMG, fresh rosemary is so strong. My wife made a crown rib roast, and the rosemary just over powered the flavor of the meat...! Still, bee's love a herb garden too. So, I grow it for them, as well as us...! :bee:

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:41 PM Post #107,944 of 151,658
Fresh herbs are the best...! But OMG, fresh rosemary is so strong. My wife made a crown rib roast, and the rosemary just over powered the flavor of the meat...! Still, bee's love a herb garden too. So, I grow it for them, as well as us...! :bee:

I do love fresh Rosemary, pretty fond of fresh Suzy as well.

Jan 12, 2023 at 2:51 PM Post #107,945 of 151,658
We grow wild flowers along a fence line on our property just for the bees. Unclaimed woods are behind us so plenty of the seeds go over there as well. A friend from Illinois gave me some wild yellow violet starters so there are plenty of those in the woods as well.

It is raining here and I have already taken my wife for a nice lunch so time to kick back with some Art Pepper....Promises Kept: The Complete Artists House Recordings. Sipping some chai tea and about to do some work with a wood chisel and mallet. I need to be in the right mood for that.

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 3:23 PM Post #107,946 of 151,658
I'm familiar with that defect it's a trade off I can live with. I mean really it's a gift, not only can I differentiate good southern BBQ from NC swill, I can walk and chew bubble gum at the same time, win win if you ask me.

Huh, smilies arent working so just know I'm grinning real big as I sip my Cheerwine while typing this.
I do love my Cheerwine, I don't live too far from Salisbury.

Growing up, though, I was a Sun Drop guy all the way.

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:46 PM Post #107,947 of 151,658
Back on topic with "cilantro", there was a time when I couldn't walk into restaurant and find a dish that wasn't smothered in it because it was the spice du jour, every day.
1673556412528.png

Jan 12, 2023 at 3:55 PM Post #107,949 of 151,658
I will posit there is a similar genetic cognitive GIFT that prevents people from enjoying NC BBQ (at least Western NC or 'Lexington Style' BBQ. I understand these mutations are located close to the genes that control other important cognitive traits which reflect a higher form of subjective taste.
FTFY (C) bcowen

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:05 PM Post #107,951 of 151,658
When I searched, I found vague or conflicting information about this, so I decided to try for myself. Regarding the Psvane 6SN7 tubes with shouldered glass envelopes, they do fit in Lyr+ without a socket saver, but require a socket saver to fit in Freya+. The problem with Freya+ is not that the tube base is too wide, but that the glass envelope will foul the edge of the circular opening in the Freya+ case, preventing the tube from being fully inserted into the socket. With a socket saver measuring 26 mm high (excluding pins), the socket end of the socket saver will be roughly flush with the top of Freya+'s case. A shorter socket saver would probably work fine, if you could find such a thing.

There was initially some alarming popping from Freya+ but it resolved itself after a few minutes of warmup. Now I just have to figure out how to get the socket savers out of there someday.

20230112_151159.JPG

20230112_151942.JPG

Jan 12, 2023 at 4:10 PM Post #107,953 of 151,658
When I searched, I found vague or conflicting information about this, so I decided to try for myself. Regarding the Psvane 6SN7 tubes with shouldered glass envelopes, they do fit in Lyr+ without a socket saver, but require a socket saver to fit in Freya+. The problem with Freya+ is not that the tube base is too wide, but that the glass envelope will foul the edge of the circular opening in the Freya+ case, preventing the tube from being fully inserted into the socket. With a socket saver measuring 26 mm high (excluding pins), the socket end of the socket saver will be roughly flush with the top of Freya+'s case. A shorter socket saver would probably work fine, if you could find such a thing.

There was initially some alarming popping from Freya+ but it resolved itself after a few minutes of warmup. Now I just have to figure out how to get the socket savers out of there someday.

20230112_151159.JPG
20230112_151942.JPG
I generally use long hemostats to remove socket savers if difficult to reach, a little heat shrink tubing over each jaw keeps from marring sockets.

7AEDFEEF-E9C2-413D-8A3D-C13A813A5C90.jpeg

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 4:23 PM Post #107,955 of 151,658
Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back