Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Jan 12, 2023 at 8:15 AM Post #107,911 of 153,535
Sure, because I'm known to be such a closed book… ;p

The car was obviously totaled, and it took him a while to work through the adrenaline, but otherwise he was fine.
As Surgeon Commander Rick Jolly said "That's when I discovered that adrenaline is brown."

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:17 AM Post #107,912 of 153,535
^^^^
One of the first airshows my dad ever took me to see was at Laverton, SW of Melbourne in Oz. It was when the RAAF had just started equipping with F/A-18s to replace their ageing Mirages.

So the Mirage puts on a display - wow! - and then the Hornet is introduced as a comparison and literally did three min radius turns inside one of the Mirage's.

Never got see some of the older jets, more's the pity. I think the F-86 at some point, an F-4 Phantom, a restored MiG-15; but that's about it. Not many around these parts to see.

The F-111 was always a treat though!
I saw the Thunderbirds when they flew the F-4. What a beast that plane was. I used to fish on the San Juan River when I lived in northwest NM years ago and I'd occasionally have a F-111 streak over my head on a low level training mission. Very impressive.

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:21 AM Post #107,913 of 153,535
I still have 2 programmes from airshows at North Weald in 1968 and 1969 that I attended with my parents ( i was 4and 5 years old and remember the F100 Super Sabres vividly !!
The guy who did my jet conversion was probably there on a Hunter squadron then. There is quite a strong jet contingent there at NW nowadays. I did a bunch of the training at Duxford too.

Cheers

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:24 AM Post #107,914 of 153,535
I ordered my self one of these to make up for the Pro-Ject Beatles '64 'table that I sent back because of a horrendous feedback hum coming from Buddha knows-no-where! I am a certified Beatles Basketcase.

700_pro_ject_the_beatles_singles_turntable.jpg

If I am "missing" for a while, fear not! I am probably in the Witless Protection Program!

Too cool...! But, you know you want this one...!

the-beatles-yellow-submarine-1-product.jpg

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #107,915 of 153,535
I reeeeeeeeeeeally like that turntable and am happy for you that yours does not HUMMMMM! It is gorgeous. I have the Essential III Sgt. Peppers 50th turntable too and am looking at adding the George Harrison tribute 'table as he is my favorite Beatle.

I have a cork mat made with George Harrison from the cover of "All Things Must Pass". It is on my Technics fully automatic Direct Drive player. On my Dual (fully auto!) there is a cork mat of Joni Mitchell from her "Hejira" album. Soooo beautiful a woman! Sinatra's album cover from "Come Fly With Me" is on the matt used on my Fisher semi-auto DD 'table.

It's not my fault buying this stuff. It is a "condition" that afflicts me so. :ksc75smile:

I think it would be neato if Marantz(!) put out Beatles Tribute CD Players. I really want(ed) a new Marantz CD60 but just cannot rationalize it right now due to getting The Singles turntable. One day. Maybe. After the heat dies down from getting this 'table?

Huzzah! :beerchug:

Just for you! One of my favorites...Oh Richard ! Oh Richard!....lol..
1673530307377.png

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 8:36 AM Post #107,916 of 153,535
^^^^
One of the first airshows my dad ever took me to see was at Laverton, SW of Melbourne in Oz. It was when the RAAF had just started equipping with F/A-18s to replace their ageing Mirages.

So the Mirage puts on a display - wow! - and then the Hornet is introduced as a comparison and literally did three min radius turns inside one of the Mirage's.

Never got see some of the older jets, more's the pity. I think the F-86 at some point, an F-4 Phantom, a restored MiG-15; but that's about it. Not many around these parts to see.

My son lives by RAAF Elizabeth, but there was nothing of interest when I was last there. If you are still in that area, Point Cook is worth a visit.

My dad was doing National Service in the RAF when I was born and he imbued in me a lifelong passion for aviation. Being in E Yorkshire we were surrounded by air bases so we did a lot of airshows. We had a strategic bomber base at Finningly with Vulcans as the nuclear deterrent (in the UK it was a 4 minute warning of impending attack) so they had 4 or 6 on the runway dispersal, switches set and as they boarded the crew hit one button and all four Olympus' started. They rolled in a stream with multiple aircraft on the runway.
The other big shock was when I was about 5 or 6 coming out of the pee tent and the Voodoo formation of (I think Frecce Tricolori) came from behind at very low level. There is a YouTube of Arthur Gibson's Red Arrows documentary showing some amazing Gnat low level work. Perhaps my avatar should change to me in a Gnat soon!!

I've been fortunate to get to play with some amazing toys and sit and work with heroes I could never have in my wildest dreams have imagined knowing. I miss flying of all the things that took a lower profile when I stopped having a real job!

Cheers

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 8:37 AM Post #107,917 of 153,535
My avatar is a B2 stealth..come in low and fast and deliver the raw milk!
Milk run ?? Lol!

I worked on the instrumentation for many aircraft, to include F15's, B1 bomber, B 747, and tons of other aircradt, Even worked on fuel instrumentation on the Apollo stuff way back when.

We made the first digital "tape" fuel gauges for the B1 and the Cessna Citation...A wonder back then..

Alex
B1 Cockpit...mostly analog....notice the TV screens!! lol
We made a Center of Gravity Fuel Subsystem, that kept track of the B1's CG and pumped fuel from tank to tank to keep it within its CG envelope.
Another marvel.
1673530752048.png

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 8:44 AM Post #107,918 of 153,535
Too cool...! But, you know you want this one...!

the-beatles-yellow-submarine-1-product.jpg
Yup. Except for that cartridge. I do not care for the similar looking cartridge on my Sgt. Peppers 'table. Everything sounds fine, I just do not care for the look of that style of cartridge, LOL! And similar weirdo cartridge is on the George Harrison 'table I want. This is getting more and more difficult. Soon I will not be able to look at some of my turntables...

I am shallow. :ksc75smile:

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:47 AM Post #107,919 of 153,535
My avatar is a B2 stealth..come in low and fast and deliver the raw milk!
Milk run ?? Lol!

I worked on the instrumentation for many aircraft, to include F15's, B1 bomber, B 747, and tons of other aircradt, Even worked on fuel instrumentation on the Apollo stuff way back when.

We made the first digital "tape" fuel gauges for the B1 and the Cessna Citation...A wonder back then..

Alex

That's really interesting. I worked with Neil Armstrong's nephew in the early 80's. Jay is Neil's brothers son. I grew up watching the space program develope from the Mercury program on. I had saved a Denver Post front page from the day of the moon landing and asked Jay if he thought his reclusive uncle might sign it. Jay sent it to his father and a month later Jay gave it back to me framed and signed by Neil. It is one of my most prized possessions.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jan 12, 2023 at 8:54 AM Post #107,920 of 153,535
That's really interesting. I worked with Neil Armstrong's nephew in the early 80's. Jay is Neil's brothers son. I grew up watching the space program develope from the Mercury program on. I had saved a Denver Post front page from the day of the moon landing and asked Jay if he thought his reclusive uncle might sign it. Jay sent it to his father and a month later Jay gave it back to me framed and signed by Neil. It is one of my most prized possessions.
Sweeeeeeeeeeeet!

My beloved mother was a copy typist for McDonnel-Douglas back then. She has a picture of her climbing on the Mercury capsule in her astronaut suit! I am very certain it is her face somehow placed into an astronauts helmet but for years I thought my mom was an astronaut that could also type 100 wpm!

Jan 12, 2023 at 8:57 AM Post #107,921 of 153,535

My first job out of school, was at an avionics company. I worked building F-16 angle of attack stall warning systems. Fun stuff, other than some of the DCAS inspectors could be a pain. 😫

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:06 AM Post #107,922 of 153,535
I saw the Thunderbirds when they flew the F-4. What a beast that plane was. I used to fish on the San Juan River when I lived in northwest NM years ago and I'd occasionally have a F-111 streak over my head on a low level training mission. Very impressive.
I was a witness to the end of the Vintage Pair at Mildenhall - i have posted picures of the aircraft seconds before the collision and the immediate aftermath
RAF 2-page-001.jpg
RAF 4-page-001.jpg
RAF 6-page-001.jpg

Jan 12, 2023 at 9:36 AM Post #107,923 of 153,535
Cary designs have changed very little over the years. My brand new CAD-300SEI looks about the same. 😊
The amp I have looks a bit different... but yeah, I guess it is important NOT to mess with it if it ain't broken... :) :) :)
I know this is a Schiit oriented post, but does anyone have? or has used/found coke bottle looking EL34's? other than the Sophia Electric that costs an arm and a leg? :)

Last edited:
Jan 12, 2023 at 11:09 AM Post #107,924 of 153,535
^^^^

The first airshow I attended was at a small municipal airport outside Chicago. My buddy's dad ran the facility, so we got to drive the "follow me" Jeep. That was a woot. 😁

Jan 12, 2023 at 11:30 AM Post #107,925 of 153,535
The amp I have looks a bit different... but yeah, I guess it is important NOT to mess with it if it ain't broken... :) :) :)
I know this is a Schiit oriented post, but does anyone have? or has used/found coke bottle looking EL34's? other than the Sophia Electric that costs an arm and a leg? :)
Psvane appears to make something. Try Pineville Music.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back