Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 31, 2022 at 10:36 AM Post #107,101 of 149,399
I meant that of the two stages in the usual amplifier, pre and power, my understanding is that the preamp stage is the one providing more of the colorisation. So in an all-tube amplifier (like the Valhalla) you would hear the most difference by rolling the preamp tubes as opposed to the power tubes.

Absolutely, I didn’t mean to say that the power stage would have no colorisation at all, just that the pre stage would be responsible for more of it.
OK, I certainly don't have enough expertise myself in tubes to say one way or another.

Dec 31, 2022 at 10:41 AM Post #107,102 of 149,399
Test Listening this morning with MMB2 and the Schiit Magni 3 + vs Nitsch Piety.
Level matched and using the Schiit Sys for switching.
Jriver Music Player this am.
My Oreo Cookie test stack!

Results are close but the Piety is just a tad softer all around.
The Magni 3 + is indeed a tad sharper or clean all around.
Both are great.
Depends on your cans and source material to break the tie.

1672501292863.jpeg

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:35 AM Post #107,105 of 149,399
Question: the household voltage in my area is generally high, 126v is the norm except on the hottest days of Summer when everyone is running their air conditioning. The last few days it's been between 128v and 130v (129.7v as measured by my Fluke multimeter). Can this damage or shorten the life of my solid-state electronics? I know it's not great for electric motors.

1672504519357.png

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 11:51 AM Post #107,107 of 149,399
Question: the household voltage in my area is generally high, 126v is the norm except on the hottest days of Summer when everyone is running their air conditioning. The last few days it's been between 128v and 130v (129.7v as measured by my Fluke multimeter). Can this damage or shorten the life of my solid-state electronics? I know it's not great for electric motors.

1672504519357.png
Normal voltage variation is +/- 5% so 130 is a higher than normal and could indicate a broken (or high resistance) neutral on your incoming line... but that's not likely if the condition only happens periodically. Will it damage anything? It is on the edge, actually, of being dangerous to some types of equipment like refrigerators. I suspect your A/V equipment will be fine if they contain adequate power supplies. But if you see 130 or higher often, I'd call the local utility and have them come out and check your feed to the house.

Dec 31, 2022 at 11:59 AM Post #107,108 of 149,399
Nice! How about some funk? Larry Graham and...

the very flamboyant Bootsy Collins, with guest appearance by Victor Wooten.

Bootsy FTW

Dec 31, 2022 at 12:06 PM Post #107,109 of 149,399
Normal voltage variation is +/- 5% so 130 is a higher than normal and could indicate a broken (or high resistance) neutral on your incoming line... but that's not likely if the condition only happens periodically. Will it damage anything? It is on the edge, actually, of being dangerous to some types of equipment like refrigerators. I suspect your A/V equipment will be fine if they contain adequate power supplies. But if you see 130 or higher often, I'd call the local utility and have them come out and check your feed to the house.
Thanks, I appreciate it. I'll check the voltage at a couple of my neighbour's homes as well. I think it's a village-wide thing. I'll call the utility as soon as they're open next week. My multimeter can record over time, so I'll let it record for 24 hours and see what the graph looks like.

Last edited:
Dec 31, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #107,110 of 149,399
One must not forget the musician that brought bass from a supporting role to center stage (IMHO) - Jaco Pastorius. RIP.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:16 PM Post #107,113 of 149,399
My guess would be that it is all the solar panels that raise the voltage, not the use of airco's.
We are on 230V 50 Hz in my country and the max with all the solar panels and wind mills is set to 253 volt. That is a plus of 10%.
When the grid reaches 253 volt and you want to supply your solar power to the grid, your inverters are shut down to prevent problems on the grid.

In my opinion higher voltage is not the biggest problem for your audio, all the high frequency mess from LED lamps, switching power supplies and the like is more cumbersome.

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:29 PM Post #107,114 of 149,399
Unless you are a collector, or just like showing off, I just don't see the point of fancy watches at this point. My phone or computer will always tell me the time more accurately and I don't really see the point of wearing a watch as jewelry. Maybe if out in the wilds I could see wearing a sturdy watch but otherwise it seems an anachronism to me
My timekeeping weapon of choice would be this Suunto Ambit 3 Peak. I only wear when climbing; it likely saved my life during a winter climb of Mt St. Helens when a winter ice storm blew in. Totally disoriented, we relied on it's GPS track back function to get us off the mountain
IMG_4255.jpg

Dec 31, 2022 at 1:37 PM Post #107,115 of 149,399
In my opinion higher voltage is not the biggest problem for your audio, all the high frequency mess from LED lamps, switching power supplies and the like is more cumbersome.
Maybe that’s why I feel that music sounds better at night, when most such things are turned off! :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back