Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 30, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #107,071 of 150,951
Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 6:43 PM Post #107,072 of 150,951
+1

I think in general this may be a generation thing. Both Mrs. macdonjh and I wear watches, macdonjh Jr does not. Our daughter does, but she wears an Apple watch and still pulls her phone out to tell time. I'm not really sure why Mrs. macdonjh wears a watch: she's on her phone as much as our kids are. The only reason I carry a phone is to get texts from our kids.

My dress watch is a Rado: nice jewelry but not a very good watch. It's almost impossible to see the face in low light. My daily driver is a Hamilton Khaki, best ergonomics of any watch I've owned. The two Timexes I have (one IronMan and one analog) are still ticking away, so to speak. That's one reason I was so frustrated about that Timex which failed on me. I don't use my IronMan much anymore because I now have a Garmin which also keeps track of my heart rate while I exercise. That other Timex I use when I go into chemical plants: it's all metal and water proof so it's easy to clean.
I go the other way for the Timex in the mill - cheap Weekender so if it gets ruined with grease it is not a big loss instead of cleaning. That being said, I've only ruined 1 so far in 8 years.

Dec 30, 2022 at 6:45 PM Post #107,073 of 150,951
Holy smokes I’ve had a fantastic evening listening to LCD-3 with Gumby A1 w/ Unison and Ragnarok 2. At times I felt transcendent, just totally lost in musical bliss. It’s been amazing and truly refreshing.

I’ve been a “tubes guy” for years, but I think Rag 2 outperforms MJ2 (I’ve had two over the years) for what I’m personally looking for in a sound profile, musicality, and technical performance.

But I keep thinking ahead to what MJ3 might end up sounding like, how much it will cost here in the U.K., and whether I’ll be justified if I move on Rag 2 and get MJ3 😂

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:49 PM Post #107,075 of 150,951
Egad, no. Engineer, yes, but I deal in "things." :)

Like this guy?

thething-monster-deformed.jpg

Dec 30, 2022 at 7:54 PM Post #107,076 of 150,951
Great post. The SQ of a lightly struck tom (and cymbal) is a good measure of a DAC's ability, IMO.
Try some Brian Blade music - he's a great jazz drummer.
Thanks, I checked out a vid w Brian Blade and that guy is a beast! I always seem to enjoy those drummers that keep their kit simple and use it expressively. The Bernard Purdies and Clyde Stubblefield types. And now Brian Blade 🙂

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:17 PM Post #107,078 of 150,951
Thanks, I checked out a vid w Brian Blade and that guy is a beast! I always seem to enjoy those drummers that keep their kit simple and use it expressively. The Bernard Purdies and Clyde Stubblefield types. And now Brian Blade 🙂
For stand-up bass, check out Dave Holland. Brian Bromberg also has a couple of excellent stand-up acoustic bass albums that are worthy of a listen.

Eric Harland is a jazz drummer to checkout, as well.

Last edited:
Dec 30, 2022 at 9:51 PM Post #107,079 of 150,951
For stand-up bass, check out Dave Holland. Brian Bromberg also has a couple of excellent stand-up acoustic bass albums that are worthy of a listen.

Eric Harland is a jazz drummer to checkout, as well.

Tonight's jazz revelation for me, Dave Grusin..."Homage to Duke".

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:55 PM Post #107,080 of 150,951
Speaking of Duke..
Check out George Duke - Face the Music.

Dec 30, 2022 at 9:56 PM Post #107,081 of 150,951
Tonight's jazz revelation for me, Dave Grusin..."Homage to Duke".
I somehow started listening to SZNZ by Weezer….Winter.🤪🤪

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:42 PM Post #107,082 of 150,951
"One morning, I shot an elephant in my pajamas. How he got in my pajamas I don't know."
—Groucho Marx
"Outside of a dog, a book is a man’s best friend. Inside of a dog it’s too dark to read."

"Time flies like an arrow; fruit flies like a banana"

Dec 30, 2022 at 10:49 PM Post #107,083 of 150,951
Well done ... my three favorite modern jazz bassists are Marcus Miller, Victor Wooten and Stanley Clarke. In no particular order.
On acoustic - it's tough to beat Christian McBride at the moment. :)
I also like Esperanza Spalding!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back