Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 18, 2022 at 5:17 AM Post #105,858 of 151,528
Nice! They did a new build 3000 a couple of decades ago and I was sorely tempted, but they didn't bring them to the US and they were eyewateringly expensive.
There have been numerous attempts over the decades both with and without the family’s blessing (they owned the rights to the ‘Healey’ name), for both Big Healey’s and Bugeyes. When BMW bought Rover in the 90s they got the ‘Austin-Healey’ name and put a drawing out, but that was as far as it got.

Dec 18, 2022 at 9:34 AM Post #105,859 of 151,528
Here’s a picture or two…
Beautiful - there was a garage just a mile or two from my parent's house that specialized in restoring Austin-Healeys. In hight school, my friend and I would go down and look at the cars (he owned a mid-70s MGB at the time). My dad had a Sprite before I was born - wished I could have seen that one :)

Dec 18, 2022 at 9:40 AM Post #105,860 of 151,528
March-ish is the latest as per recent interview with the engineer
From the recent Darko podcast, it looks like a limited run of maybe 250 units with a "look see" how the sell then maybe another 250 run etc..
IMO the convenience of streaming with most of us having ripped our CDs to flac and using a computer with a player in bitperfect "mode" OR now even more just streaming from the services available...this convenience will be hard to let go of for a lot of us.

The purists, full and part time :)>)...will really like this "tool" to explore and test stuff.

I have often said "please give me just the bits, just the bits please..nothing more or less).

Its taken many years being old school to accept CD media. Not until a lossless file format would I even consider ripping stuff...

No tone controls, no EQ, just what the source recording had in it good or bad. Let me "hear" this in my head with my cans or speakers. Simple eh ?
Then let me play if I so desire.

So being able to plug into a device to have the PCM bits off the CD via unison to a dac will be interesting.
Compare to other vendors dacs and inputs, and the "holy grail" here for unison to unison via a Schiit Dac.

:>)

Ah life is good!
Alex

Note: Let this sink in....NO internet. NO PC. NO OS (Operating System), NO music player, NO other crap to potentially "muck" with the bits, No Device drivers. etc....

Last edited:
Dec 18, 2022 at 10:51 AM Post #105,864 of 151,528
Dec 18, 2022 at 11:13 AM Post #105,865 of 151,528
Anyone know if Freya plus or N will run in passive mode without power?
It has a passive mode but the unit has to be turned on.

After grueling volume matching, I am more or less convinced the passive mode is indistinguishable from what I get out of an SA1X.

Dec 18, 2022 at 2:04 PM Post #105,868 of 151,528
Here’s a picture or two…
Really nice! A friend had a beautiful white '67 3000 Mk 3 in the late sixties. One of my two favorite sports cars of the time, the other being the Alfa Romeo GTV 1750 (which another friend owned: unfortunately I was too poor at the time to own either :triportsad:).

Dec 18, 2022 at 3:44 PM Post #105,869 of 151,528
The audio system at my vacation estate
210529 Plot 6 audio small.jpg

has a new home:
221217 Plot 6 stereo cubby small.jpg

I am fully envious of anyone who has the tools to cut in a straight line and the skill required to use those tools properly. This little project to make room on my chart table for that lap top so I can use a planetarium program to improve my mount/ telescope pointing accuracy. I'm about 1/3 of the way through the learning curve of that part of the program's capabilities and so far pointing error has been reduced to 25% of what it was.

Oddly, the music sounds the same. I had hoped for a little more appreciation from the electronics.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back