Schiit Happened: The Story of the World's Most Improbable Start-Up
Dec 8, 2022 at 4:52 PM Post #105,257 of 149,754
Are you planning to make an inventory list?
Oh heck no, but I could I suppose lol. Many are in alphabetical order by composer, that was a job in itself. It is easier for me if you list favorite composers and then I could search more quickly.

I have Wagner, Verdi, Puccini, Rossini, Berlioz, Prokofiev, Tchaikovsky, Mahler, and of course the three "B"s of classical music.

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:53 PM Post #105,258 of 149,754
Not likely, I had a great one years ago, can't remember the name of the software but eventually I think the developer got fed up trying to keep up with new Windows releases and at some point the OS would no longer work with the program. Selling a few here and there takes a lot of time and effort for little return and cost to ship a box full would be costly as well. This being one of the busier months of the year for me, and completing application paper work for the retirement community I'm moving to in April, and Christmas, I got a lot on my plate to deal with. Paladin79 and Bonehead7171 came here and left with many armfuls of CD's at fire-sale prices. My plan is to allow Salvation Army take whatever is left away along with my book collection and some collectibles for their sales to raise money for the organization. Of course anyone wanting to come here can take what they want, but do note that my collection is heavily classical oriented.

Dec 8, 2022 at 4:54 PM Post #105,259 of 149,754
Are you planning to make an inventory list?
Not likely, I had a great data base program years ago, can't remember the name of the software but eventually I think the developer got fed up trying to keep up with new Windows releases and at some point the OS would no longer work with the program. Selling a few here and there takes a lot of time and effort for little return and cost to ship a box full would be costly as well. This being one of the busier months of the year for me, and completing application paper work for the retirement community I'm moving to in April, and Christmas, I got a lot on my plate to deal with. Paladin79 and Bonehead7171 came here and left with many armfuls of CD's at fire-sale prices. My plan is to allow Salvation Army take whatever is left away along with my book collection and some collectibles for their sales to raise money for the organization. Of course anyone wanting to come here can take what they want, but do note that my collection is heavily classical oriented.

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:00 PM Post #105,260 of 149,754
So the amp uses three 12AU7's or is it five? Would you say the voltage amp is the most critical?

These are among my favorites.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/124331759896?

I also have some RFT's I really like. Brimar CV 4003's as well.

Whatever you do, do not buy any tubes lol. Figure out what will help the most and I will see what I can do for you.

I do have some extras. :ksc75smile:
Thanks! I sent you some details about the amp in a pm.

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:01 PM Post #105,261 of 149,754
I'll switch the second they come out with an actually well-made ultra-low-profile mechanical switch.
Until then, the two keyboards mentioned in my post, while not entirely mechanical, come as close to the feel of a mechanical keyboard as it gets, just without any of that obnoxiously towering height and miles-long key travel.
My main kybd is a Logitech G413 Carbon. It is NOT ultra-low profile, but the key action is great and it has been in hard use for 2 years.

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 5:14 PM Post #105,262 of 149,754
Received my matte silver knobs for my Lokius today. Looks pretty good I think. Definitely a match for my other Schiit gear. However, two knobs had markings on them, so l’ll be trying to replace those.

3B6C8112-700A-4557-B28F-126218FFE10C.jpeg

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:17 PM Post #105,263 of 149,754
Mmmmm! Those mandarins make excellent margaritas with just a tad bit a lime squeezed in as well.
Not a bad idea, I already have some excellent silver (blanco) tequila and the sweetness might be a substitute for simple syrup.

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:27 PM Post #105,264 of 149,754
Received my matte silver knobs for my Lokius today. Looks pretty good I think. Definitely a match for my other Schiit gear. However, two knobs had markings on them, so l’ll be trying to replace those.

Nice use of the Schiit logo on the rack as well. Mine went here. :ksc75smile: That which Schiit does not build I tend to build for myself.

F03C3ABC-1B86-410C-8120-08E44DEFA94D.jpeg

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 5:28 PM Post #105,265 of 149,754
My Freya N arrived, a week late but in good shape! If it's not obvious by the photo, I'm not into perfect measurements and having the music reproduced 'exactly as intended by the artist/producer/recording engineer' (whatever that even means) blah blah blah. I want the music to sound good to me and my imperfect ears. This setup will allow me to tune the music many different ways: The DAC has 2x 5670 tubes, but I can bypass tube stage via the remote. The Freya has, of course, the pass-through, solid-state, and tube options; and then there's the Lokius. I also have SoundSource with its 32-band EQ and presets on the Mac if needed, but I tend to not to use any of that often. Tonight's headphones will be the Sundara. The room is my small library/reading room with comfortable chairs and a fireplace, my favourite room in the house with its Philips Hue lighting and unobstructed SW-facing windows. The components can be turned on and off with smart plugs which is very handy given the power switch locations on the Schiits. The photo (one of mine, and one of 17 of them in the room) will have to be moved. I'm also thinking of getting a smaller 15" screen designed as a second one for laptops to replace the big one, which is the likely avenue. That 24" screen is way too big for the space on top of the bookshelf. I have a couple of sets of tubes on the way for the Freya. The neverending quest for the perfect set has begun 🤑🤪🙂

1670538333433.png

Last edited:
Dec 8, 2022 at 5:31 PM Post #105,266 of 149,754
No, the "gender change" adapter is not enough, actually. The pin-out is non-standard as well.

I believe it was something along the lines of:
pin 3 to pin 1
pin 4 to pin 2
pin 1 to pin 4
pin 2 to pin 3
…where the left is the headphone cable's normal pin number and the right is the amp's pin number.
Or the other way around?
I don't remember.

You definitely want to do a google search to be sure, don't take my word for it.

But the whole point is: Beware of the non-standard pin-out.
I did. I actually emailed Schiit directly. I can't speak to the Jot R, but here's what Schiit sent about the Jot A.

IMG_1133.jpg

You are somewhat correct. The RAAL switches pinouts at the headphone jack side from standard. So a gender change to use a standard 3.5mm to XLR would be bad. This was a tidbit I picked up during my search. It doesn't apply to my usage. For lurkers out there, there's a thread on the interwebs where people are modifying their expensive 3.5mm cables to Raal specs.

The Jot A and Jot R are slightly different amps. Jot A goes to 2 ohms, Jot R to 0.2 ohms. The bass shelf is different for Jot A too. I didn't ask about the pin out for the Jot R. That is a good suggestion for those lurkers. But for the Jot A, a gender change appears to be all that is needed.

That being said, I'm not just going to plug my $4k DCA Stealths into the Jot A without double checking a few things. Given his past behavior, I trust Jason wouldn't so publicly make a suggestion that would fry headphones. However, I'm sure he also expects those who tinker and use his products for non-specified functions to have common sense and a basic knowledge of electronics.

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:39 PM Post #105,267 of 149,754
susvara is 60 ohms, so Jot 2 would better than Jot A / Jot R.
For low-efficiency (~80dB/mW) headphones with impedances ~16 ohms and above, Jot 2 should provide more power (max 7.5W / 16 ohms).
For planars and ribbons in the 1 - 4 ohm range, try Jot R / Jot A. Special adapter needed if not using Raal or Audeze LCD-R headphones.
I second this.

If I hadn't bought the Jot A by mistake, I wouldn't purposefully have used the amp when the Jot 2 has more than enough power. However, since I have one, I figured I'd give it a go.

Dec 8, 2022 at 5:53 PM Post #105,268 of 149,754
I second this.

If I hadn't bought the Jot A by mistake, I wouldn't purposefully have used the amp when the Jot 2 has more than enough power. However, since I have one, I figured I'd give it a go.
I see now Schiit has amended the Jot A and R listings to clarify they are not regular Jots.

Dec 8, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #105,269 of 149,754
Dec 8, 2022 at 7:01 PM Post #105,270 of 149,754

Users who are viewing this thread

Back